John Martin: a Genius at Work

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.

Postby Marco Pusterla » 04/24/05 10:25 AM

Hi, everybody!
I think fellow historians/collectors should be made aware of a book about John Martin, one of magic's greatest mechanics, if not the greatest of them all, made recently available.

Mr. Granville Taylor (Faust) has recently published an hand-made book (limited to 250 copies!) on John Martin. While the book is not much a biography as such, but rather a recollection of the author's reminiscences about Martin, Martin's productions and the technology behind them, Martin's customers, it is definitely a lovely book to read and a book which should (IMHO) find place in every collector/historian's library.

I have no involvement whatsoever with the author: I'm just a VERY satisfied customer, and I think it should be worth mentioning this book to whomever does not know about its publication. While the book is not cheap (60 British pounds, about 115 US$...), I think the information therein is worth more than the asking price for the SERIOUS collector and the historian (you know who you are ;) ).

I understand the book is going to be advertised in some magic magazines, but you could contact the author at taylormademagic@yahoo.co.uk for a prospect.

Personally, I enjoyed this book more than many other recent publications...

All the best, ciao!
---
Marco Pusterla - http://www.mpmagic.co.uk
Marco Pusterla - http://www.mpmagic.com

Ye Olde Magic Mag: magic history and collecting magazine.
Marco Pusterla

Postby Pete Biro » 04/24/05 10:41 AM

Jon Martin -- see a huge collection of his work at John Gaughan's. The major collector in the U.K. was Leslie Cole. I photographed his collection some time ago for Dr. Albo.
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Postby mehtas » 06/16/05 01:05 PM

Just paid for the book and should be receiving soon.

Im not a collector of these items but I've seen them in person, some of the stuff John Martin made are out of this world.

I though if I cant owe some of them, id better buy the book for future refrence.

I think Mr Granville Taylor has the biggest collection of john martin items in U.K (if not in the world)

:genii:
mehtas

Postby Guest » 06/18/05 12:24 AM

I bought the book the moment I heard about it and would say it is an essential for any Martin collector. The Martin Appearing Butterfly effect shown in the book is the actual one that is in my own collection. Years ago I didn't realize the significance of items made by Martin and many have passed through my hands when now I just wish I had kept them. I saw the Martin collection owned by Leslie Cole and I won't forget him for sure as he introduced me to my wife!

Return to Magic History and Anecdotes