Most Memorable Genii Forum Threads?

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.

Postby magicam » 10/30/05 11:01 PM

Im not sure where to put this, so Ill put it here since it involves magic history of sorts. Asking this question has its risks, not the least of which is that this thread might devolve into negativity, sarcasm, personal attacks, etc. But this board has been on for some time now, and there have been some very memorable threads, be they good, bad, profound, ugly, historically important, funny, silly, idiotic, etc.

Some time ago there was a thread on the ephemeral nature of internet sites and board postings. That got me thinking about preserving (mostly great) threads. So Ive been archiving some of the threads here, not only for personal reference down the road, but just in case the worst happens and they get lost forever on the internet. The vast majority of the threads Ive saved have been ones with good, intelligent exchanges, packed with information or insightful comments. But Ive also saved a few real dogs, because they are either very funny or unbelievably dumb. This could be a memorable thread itself if a decent number of folks contribute and could document the best of the best and worst of the worst there are many folks here who are very perceptive and have great memories!

What are your nominations for most memorable threads on Genii Forum, and why? In an effort to keep this thread going and not have it shut down, Id only ask that we try and stick to the nominations and not (re)debate the nature of the topics themselves. Itd be nice if this thread turned into a relatively focused list of memorable threads for folks to peruse later on, a thread without much ancillary side debate.

Ill start by nominating one thread which already has been acknowledged as a great thread, the one on Erdnase (thanks to mrmagik for starting it), here: http://geniimagazine.com/forum/cgi-bin/ ... 1;t=000947

And for one of the dumbest threads, Ill nominate the one on The Art of Modern Conjuring, here: http://geniimagazine.com/forum/cgi-bin/ ... 055#000000

Heres hoping there are some good responses and little rancor.

Clay
magicam

Postby Timothy Hyde » 11/01/05 01:08 AM

Clay,

I actualy think the Ken Brooke thread below is brilliant in many ways. Great stories, some fun writing, heartfelt memories.

The thread about "Jam Auctions" with some contributions by he who's name must not be mentioned was fascinating.

timothy
The Secret Notebooks of Mr Hyde - Vol 1 & 2 - http://www.MagicCoach.com
Timothy Hyde

Postby Guest » 11/01/05 11:41 AM

This may seem odd but the one that stuck in my head was the cooking pasta thread. I wanted to track down Carl Mercurio (forgive spelling) to let him know I finally found a store that sells rab or whatever it is called that he put in the recipe he provided. Now if I can find the dang recipe I'd be set!
Steve V

Postby Carlo Morpurgo » 11/01/05 02:06 PM

Originally posted by Steve V':
This may seem odd but the one that stuck in my head was the cooking pasta thread. I wanted to track down Carl Mercurio (forgive spelling) to let him know I finally found a store that sells rab or whatever it is called that he put in the recipe he provided. Now if I can find the dang recipe I'd be set!
Steve V
You mean you did not care at all about the *original* Italian recipe I provided?? :(
try it... it tastes pretty good.....

carlo
Carlo Morpurgo

Postby Guest » 11/01/05 11:19 PM

They all were great! I just couldn't find rab here, it is more of an East Coast thing. I went to an Italian grocer and they carry it.
Steve V

Postby Guest » 06/17/07 11:48 PM

I had hoped this thread would have more legs on it! Oh well ...

Postby Guest » 06/23/07 09:48 PM

I'm going to jump in with something here that's slighly outside of your request, but worth mentioning. There was a time -- before the world of "alt" newsgroups became simply a repository for spam -- during which alt.magic and alt.magic.history were interesting and vibrant places to exchange ideas about magic and its history, meet people with similar passions and develop themes. The web was a place full of promise then, before commercialization really took over. Below are links to several amazing threads (which now, ironically, are "owned" by Google), containing contributions by fine writers and historians such as Michael Edwards, Bob Loomis and Matt Field:

The Big Vanish

The Big Production

They Also Conjured

The Bullet Catch

Perhaps this will generate some further discussion, or at least bring back some nice memories for those of you who participated.

Gary Brown

Return to Magic History and Anecdotes