Who owns the "New Stars" copyright?

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.

Postby Guest » 08/19/07 08:13 AM

Perhaps this has been answered here before, but I couldn't find it with the search. I have wondered for years why the "New Stars of Magic" series had never been gathered and released as a bound volume, as the original "Stars of Magic" series was.
Is there some dispute or question as to who owns the rights to this material?
It would seem to be a sure seller, so I can't believe anyone would consider it a risky publishing venture. I saw another thread here that seemed to indicate that no one is exactly sure how many volumes were even released. This seems odd, considering the material is less than 40 years old.
Don S

Postby Leonard Hevia » 08/19/07 09:40 AM

Hi Don--as best as I can tell you--I believe The Robbins Company--the same folks that are currently publishing the Tarbell Course are publishing the old Stars of Magic. I've seen the reprinted version and it is disgracefully inferior to my original Tannen's
copy that I bought in the late 70s. The pages look like cheap photocopies from a bad 7-Eleven photocopy machine...

If Robbins acquired the rights to the New Stars publications...I shudder at the thought...
Leonard Hevia

Postby Rick Ruhl » 08/19/07 10:47 AM

I think Tannens still owns the rights to them.
Rick Ruhl

Postby Guest » 08/19/07 11:50 AM

I purchased a number of the New Stars of Magic series when they first came out, and I think that one of the problems in publishing a New Stars of Magic (NSOM) volume would be caused by the number of gaffs that would need to be included (or not included) ... e.g. Derek Dingle's routine requires a set of gaffed cards, and Doug Bennett's routine requires several materials including strong invisible thread, a brass ring, and a couple of other items.

Also - Mike Maxwell purchased the rights to print Paul Harris's "Immaculate Connection" in "The Art of Astonishment" books, and I wonder if the "rights" that Maxwell purchased might also be causing problems for the Harris routine to be published in a NSOM volume.

Return to Magic History and Anecdotes