Paul LePaul Spread

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.

Postby Guest » 11/01/04 03:59 PM

A few of us were discussing what is commonly called the LePaul Spread.

In The Card Magic of Paul LePaul, he states (Pg. 35 of the Robbins edition, "A Flourish and a Pass") "This flourish, although fairly well known among expert card men, is rarely seen and to my knowledge it has never before appeared in print".

Is there anyone who can accuratly claim ownership of this move? Has anyone seem this in print prior?

Postby Richard Kaufman » 11/01/04 05:39 PM

I don't recall seeing the move in print prior to the appearance of the LePaul book, which was (I think) 1949.
It is, of course, simply another cover for the Herrmann Pass (now known to be the creation of Hofzinser).
Few details are given in the LePaul book for a way to render the pass invisible unless you have a very large hand to simply cover the deck at the instant the packet flops over.
The master of this sleight is Howie Schwarzman, who uses a method he attributes to Frank Thompson.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
Richard Kaufman

Postby Guest » 11/01/04 07:36 PM

I've always read that passage to mean that the "flourish" part of the description, the springing of the cards from one hand to the other, was fairly well-known. The thing LePaul brought to it, and that made it noteworthy, was the combining of the flourish with a pass. I'm no mindreader, and LePaul is not specific about this, but I believe HE "invented" the combination. Who first came up with the flourish is anybody's guess, as, like the man says, it had never appeared in print before. And Richard is right about the pass, of course - Herrmann/Hofzinser - or should it be Hofzinser/Herrmann? Anyway, that my interpretation, and I'm stuck with, err, sticking with it!

Best, PSC

Postby Richard Kaufman » 11/01/04 08:53 PM

I agree with Paul, and interestingly, when the second volume of the new Hofzinser book is published in English, I believe we'll find that the idea of doing a flourish where you squeeze the deck and the cards spread out is also Hofzinser's. I have seen some sketches made by a student of Hofzinser's of the flourishes which are mentioned by name only in Kartenkunste, and it would appear that some of them might have been made in this manner.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
Richard Kaufman

Postby Guest » 11/02/04 10:08 AM

Thank you for the information and sorry I had posted an almost duplicate post as this one. Next time I will definitely use the search function before posting.
Wade

Postby Guest » 11/02/04 11:16 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. You've helped out a lot. :D

Return to Magic History and Anecdotes