Gibecière & Conjuring Arts

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » 09/18/06 06:56 AM

Just noticed that the new issue of Gibecire is due to be released soon. Here's the description from the Conjuring Arts website :

"Vol. 1 No. 2, Summer 2006. Our new issue is at the printer and due back soon. In it you'll find new articles from Albrecht Heeffer, Mike Caveney and Mitsunobu Matsuyama."

"Where the first issue of Gibecire laid the groundwork hoped for by Conjuring Arts Research Center, this second issue realizes it to a degree that is gratifying. The main goal of the organization is to create a worldwide network of researchers and historians who will, through cooperation, be enabled to aid each other in uncovering the history of the age-old practice of conjuring. This issue provides sound examples on which to evaluate our progress. In the opening article, Mitsunobu Matsuyama begins his investigation into Japanese magic, how it spread to the western world and the roles both Japanese and western magicians played in the process of its assimilation. In exploring his topic, Mr. Matsuyama made contact with researchers in various countries."

In addition, on the Conjuring Arts site, they have an article entitled "Card Men of Mystery, Installment I: The Mysterious Charlier". It is a chapter excerpted from Hoffmann's "Conjurer Dick".

http://www.conjuringarts.org

-Jim
Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » 11/28/06 12:09 PM

Just got word that the next Gibecire is finally being shipped and should be arriving within the week.

-Jim
Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Tom Klem » 12/02/06 05:12 PM

Jim:

I recieved my copy of Gibeciere in the post on Friday. It is twice as thick as the last issue. It looks very interesting.

By the way I have that CD we spoke of for you.

Tom Klem
Tom Klem

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » 12/02/06 06:27 PM

Yup, mine arrived last night. Now I have some light reading to do before going to bed at night! ;)

Not only is it twice the size, but it has one less article than the previous issue, so these articles are pretty in-depth. Can't wait to dig in! I notice that the first article is a "Part 1" -- I'm already looking forward to "Part 2".

Will you be around next Saturday? I most likely will be there then, but after that, not until the new year. Let me know when you'll be around, so we can work out the CD. Thanks!

-Jim
Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Guest » 12/03/06 02:39 PM

Mike Caveneys article about Del Adelphia was outstanding. I just cant get enough of that type of biographical story. He makes me wish I could get into a time machine and travel back to see him. Thanks Mike for your wonderful article, and all youve given us magic history buffs through your Magic Words and Magical Publications. Thanks also to Bill Kalush and the C.A.R.C. for the quality of the first two Gibeciere publications. Keep up the good work!!

Regards, Mark Damon

Postby Guest » 12/03/06 03:44 PM

Originally posted by Mark Damon:
... Thanks ... for the quality of the first two Gibeciere publications. Keep up the good work!!
I'd like to echo Mark's thanks and thoughts. Years ago, Steve Tigner tried to approach the documentation and discussion of the history of conjuring from a distinctly scholarly bent, but, alas, his efforts were relatively short-lived. Perhaps he got tired of going it alone. Today, there seems a greater interest in magic history, and I hope it results, among other things, in a long and productive life for Gibeciere.

Clay

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » 12/03/06 07:52 PM

Originally posted by Magicam:
Today, there seems a greater interest in magic history, and I hope it results, among other things, in a long and productive life for Gibeciere.
I hope so as well. I've been extremely happy with both issues of Gibeciere, and definitely hope it's around for a long time.

I also hope that the current interest in magic history means that not only to we work on digging up and documenting the past but also that we are more conscious of preserving the present for those future historians that may look back upon this time.

-Jim
Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Tom Klem » 12/04/06 11:32 AM

[/qb][/QUOTE]I hope so as well. I've been extremely happy with both issues of Gibeciere, and definitely hope it's around for a long time.

I also hope that the current interest in magic history means that not only to we work on digging up and documenting the past but also that we are more conscious of preserving the present for those future historians that may look back upon this time.
-Jim [/QB][/QUOTE]

I argee with every word for history is today world of magic to future generations.

Tom Klem
Tom Klem

Return to Magic History and Anecdotes