Monkey magic

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.

Postby John McDonald » 01/20/03 08:44 AM

Apologies to non-UK based magicians but thought I'd ask what was the verdict on the new television show, "Monkey magic", on Channel 5?

:) :( :mad: :rolleyes: :confused: :eek: :p ;)

We've had three shows now.

Monkey boy does some really cool stuff. In a regular piece entitled magic on a see-through table, the trick is shown twice once above the table and once from below.

Last night, MB did a version of coins through the table. I thought it was a stunning piece of close up as it was a see through table!

Anyone else done this before him?

Best wishes to all

John
Best John
John McDonald

Postby Pete Biro » 01/20/03 11:15 AM

More than a couple of years ago, James Lewis did the coins through the table with a glass topped table. I believe the premise is his. :genii:
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Postby Elwood » 01/20/03 12:33 PM

I saw the first show, and was a little disappointed, to say the least!

Considering the sort of stuff the production company usually releases this was a little lame.

However, I must admit that I haven't seen shows 2 and 3, so perhaps the quality has improved.

In my opinion, this was just a cheap cash in on the popularity of "street" magic and reality TV.
Elwood

Postby John LeBlanc » 01/20/03 03:11 PM

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
More than a couple of years ago, James Lewis did the coins through the table with a glass topped table. I believe the premise is his.
Explained, with love, on his "Million Dollar Mysteries" video.

John LeBlanc
Houston, TX
John LeBlanc

Postby Marco Pusterla » 01/23/03 04:56 AM

Hi!
Monkey Magic is getting better... the third show, just aired, was, IMHO, the best one so far.

About the coins thru the glass table... the first version of which I'm aware has been published by John Cornelius, but the routine performed looks more similar to the one Derek Dingle offered to Doug Henning for one of his TV specials and was later published in "Richard's Almanac" (Winter Extra, 1982/83).

The effect is however different from the published methods, especially about the way the 2 last coins pass... the camera is under the table, a coin is on the table, covered by a hand, the other hand (empty) goes below the table top and the coin passes... neat!

Hope this clarifies matters.

All the best, ciao!
---
Marco
Marco Pusterla - http://www.mpmagic.com

Ye Olde Magic Mag: magic history and collecting magazine.
Marco Pusterla

Return to Buzz