David Regal photos in LL Publishing Catalog

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.

David Regal photos in LL Publishing Catalog

Postby Guest » February 5th, 2003, 9:46 am

I was looking through an L&L Publishing Catalog last night and came across some pictures of David Regal in what looks like a video shoot.
There is a picture (along with others) that looks like one of his tricks from his Constant Fooling books, not sure of the name but it is Regal's trick where his Grandpa helps him with a card trick (great presentation).
I know these are not from his past video set so I am wondering if this is from a new project in the works.

I have not seen anything about an upcoming Regal video relase so I thought I would ask here.

David Regal

Re: David Regal photos in LL Publishing Catalog

Postby David Regal » February 5th, 2003, 11:21 am

Originally posted by Barnett:

I have not seen anything about an upcoming Regal video relase so I thought I would ask here.
I shot a unique set of videos last year for L&L, and I'm told that the first edit will be completed in the next month or so. I don't know if that schedule will remain unchanged, but if the edit is completed in the next couple of months the set could possibly be out by the end of the summer. It all depends on the L&L publishing schedule. I tried to make this set a little different from the usual collection of tricks (though make no mistake - it IS a collection of tricks) and it will be interesting to see if anyone notices the difference! It certainly made the effort a more challenging one for me than it would otherwise be. The set will include effects from all my books, back to "Star Quality" (as I like proving that the tricks actually work) as well as a few things I'm including just for the videos/DVDs.

As a self-serving sidebar, I am currently spending a small fortune readying a new magic effect for market. It has been specially manufactured for me and I've got to say it will put a big stinking grin on the face of anyone who performs it. And by the way, I hope that will be EVERYONE. I will have it out in April.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » February 5th, 2003, 11:42 am

Hey Regal, let's have lunch asap! :cool:
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » February 5th, 2003, 11:59 am

Originally posted by David Regal:

It has been specially manufactured for me and I've got to say it will put a big stinking grin on the face of anyone who performs it.
Don't tell me, the David Regal Canister of Laughing Gas effect :D . Wow, it really does work, i'm laughing already!

HT

David Regal

Postby David Regal » February 5th, 2003, 12:20 pm

No, and it's not called Vanishing Coat Hanger to Mouth, either.

Postby Guest » February 5th, 2003, 12:34 pm

Mr. Regal,

Thank you for the response, a new set of videos is exactly what I was hoping for. I am sure I am not alone in saying that this will be at the top of my to buy list.
I have enjoyed your past work and mostly blame you for rekindling my interest in magic.

Thank you and Much Luck!!

mike cookman

Postby mike cookman » February 5th, 2003, 5:28 pm

Hey David, your coin trick Four Plus Four from Close Up and Personal puts a smile on my face. Great routine. Thanks.

Kendrix

Postby Kendrix » February 5th, 2003, 7:06 pm

I think David's set of DVD's (the ones already out) are the strongest I have viewed in the past 5 years. I got more "bang for the buck" from them than any set of DVD's I have ever bought and believe me I buy everything out there. His books are excellent as well.

Linds

Postby Linds » February 5th, 2003, 8:24 pm

While we're on the subject of David's deviousness. I tracked down some low tac double sided tape and tried some of the effects described in Constant Fooling. I'm having a ball with this material.

I particularly liked the ideas he gives for getting the gaffus into and out of play with a deck that has been in use and freely handled by audience members.

Ken Brooke wrote up a raft of ideas in Harry Stanley's Gen in the early sixties, but he was using double sided toupee tape. That stuff was meant to stay stuck!!! The beauty of this product is that it holds when you need it, let's go as needed and you can ditch it without undue trouble when you're through.

David's development work provides a head start with both handling technique and some performance pieces. There are some things here that are incredibly clean... I don't know why I'm telling you this. I should let it pass into the morass of forgotten ideas buried in books that David mines in his Genii column... :D :D :D

Lindsay

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 5th, 2003, 8:51 pm

I have seen the new effect which Mr. Regal has been tempting you with! He showed it to Paul Wilson and me last November outside the Highland Gardens motel just steps from The Magic Castle.
I begged him to let me print it in Genii, but then he realized he could sell it. I tried to bribe him, but to no avail.
YOU will want to perform this effect!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » February 5th, 2003, 11:06 pm

Y'all had me worried... I had to go back and re-read some of the messages. Originally I thought someone was admiring Regals BVDs... :rolleyes: :o :rolleyes:
Stay tooned.

Jeff Eline

Postby Jeff Eline » February 6th, 2003, 6:09 am

Leaving Mr. Regal's BVD's aside... I have to second the work with low tac, double sided tape. I have had a lot fun playing with that. The price of the books were worth it just for that! Thank you!

Jeff

Sam Kesler
Favorite Magician: Ed Marlo

Postby Sam Kesler » February 7th, 2003, 4:45 pm

I know it's a good L&L audience, David, but I hope it's a different one. I hate to be a stick-in-the-mud. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm really getting tired of the same people in that audience. Especially one guy who shall go nameless. ;)

Postby Guest » February 7th, 2003, 7:42 pm

I was happy to see David Regal has a new set of dvds coming out. However, I was not at all amused that he is pointing up, doing, teaching, or even MENTIONING again "The Very Last Card" (The grandfather thing). I know its in his books, and I even mentioned it (in secret code) on a post regarding D.R. here on the forum. But the less anyone knows about this trick the better.

Charlie Chang

Postby Charlie Chang » February 7th, 2003, 9:10 pm

I had the pleasure of seeing Mr. Regal perform that routine last night in the Parlour room at the Castle. It was awesome and went over very well. :)

Kendrix

Postby Kendrix » February 8th, 2003, 7:34 am

You guys crack me up with this "bitchin" about the audience at the L&L tapings. I pay about 1% of my attention to them and that is more than they deserve. I think it goes without saying that these are instructional videos and not entertainment videos. Having said that, I wouldn't be sad if "John" got the Laci Peterson treatment.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 8th, 2003, 7:45 am

I spoke with Louis Falanga about those audience members whom people seem to find so irritating. I was surprised when he told me how few videos they've actually appeared in. They must be VERY irritating, considering how much negative commentary they've created. One gets the impression they're on every DVD, but it's really not the case.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

John LeBlanc

Postby John LeBlanc » February 8th, 2003, 8:20 am

Originally posted by Sam Kesler:
I know it's a good L&L audience, David, but I hope it's a different one. I hate to be a stick-in-the-mud. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm really getting tired of the same people in that audience. Especially one guy who shall go nameless. ;)
I can probably guess who you mean, but I happen to disagree with you on this point.

But I will say that if Louis ever bans Tania from appearing, I'll never buy another L&L video. <g>

John LeBlanc
Houston, TX

Postby Guest » March 11th, 2003, 9:23 am

David,

It looks like your hard work is done, early no less which is strange in this business. I saw a clip of your new effect on Murphy's Magic Supply website, very nice. I assume this is what you were speaking of last month. Worth checking out for those interested.

Postby Guest » March 12th, 2003, 10:58 am

(I second the Tania comment!), but am seriously looking forward to both the new marketed effect and the new DVDs.

timbrown
Favorite Magician: Frank Garcia

Postby timbrown » March 12th, 2003, 1:26 pm

Not to start a "Tania" thread redirection but....she is the Customer Service Manager or something to that effect and a damned good one. I had a problem with an item and she was very helpful in solving my problem. I wish that all companies were so responsive. Plus she looks pretty great in the L&L stuff....

Tim Brown

IanB

Postby IanB » March 12th, 2003, 1:37 pm

I'm sure Tania is the CS Manager - she was very helpful with some of my email questions.

Regarding the L&L audience, I wonder if they hire them out for use by other magicians at gigs? Seeding the audience with John, Dave et al to raise the reaction level when we're struggling with a tough audience might be useful!

A good selling point for your act perhaps - self contained, no need for an audience, I bring mine along.

Ian

(Seriously, I know the L&L guys come in for stick, but far better their overreaction than the dead response you see one some videos)

Return to “Buzz”