Blaine book

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.

Blaine book

Postby Guest » November 4th, 2002, 5:04 pm

Heard Blaine on Howard Stern the other morning. He was promoting a new magic book. Anyone seen it? I went to amazon.com and it got a rave review from Publisher's Weekly.

Re: Blaine book

Postby Guest » November 4th, 2002, 5:10 pm

For those interested, here's the review from Publishers Weekly on amazon.com:

He was buried alive for a week in Times Square, encased in ice for three days, also in Times Square, and stood atop an 83-foot pillar in Manhattan's Bryant Park for 36 hours-and received national TV coverage for all these feats. Often touted as the new Houdini, Blaine is a consummate magician as well as endurance artist and an important force in the field for his advocacy of "street magic." In this spirited book, his first, Blaine offers readers a magical extravaganza on paper, a mix of autobiography, history of magic, how-to (do magic), interactive magic tricks and self-help advice. Blaine begins with intimations of stage magic's power, with an account of legendary 19th-century magician Robert-Houdin traveling to Algeria on orders of the French government to quell an uprising by showing that his magic was greater than that of the rebels. He ends with a knuckle-whitening account of his pillar stunt, a "dream manifesto" ("Read. Observe.... Our minds have no limits") and suggested resources including books of general interest (at the top: The Brothers Karamazov). This is a very personal volume, with Blaine's passionate, playful, opinionated, determined personality evident on nearly every page. Magic buffs will find much here that's familiar, like the recaps of magicians past and present, but even serious hobbyists will pick up tips from the tricks and explanations scattered throughout, and the final chapters, devoted to Blaine's endurance challenges, are pure gold. Copious illustrations enliven the already brisk text. Though doubling as major promo for Blaine, this is one of the most thorough and enjoyable introductions to magic in years.

MaxNY
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

Postby MaxNY » November 4th, 2002, 5:41 pm

Say anything about the criptic messages... leading to a chest of cash?
How about the chixs? Who wants to know what went through his head during the IceCapades? Let's hear about how he entertained Madonna. Can you imagine? Now what would I do to "entertain" Madonna, I'm sure she's been there & done everything.
___"Hey, check out my tricky rings..."

Rene Clement

Postby Rene Clement » November 4th, 2002, 8:52 pm

I picked up the book today at BJ Club for $14.22. It is a beautifully produced book. There are many colorful poster reproductions in there too.

Postby Guest » November 4th, 2002, 9:31 pm

Max

He did talk about clues in the book that would lead the reader to hidden treasure worth $100,000. He even gave a clue, something in a caption to one of the pictures...that suggested the buried treasure wasn't really buried. For some reason, Howard was more interested in talking about Daryll Hannah than Robert Houdin though.

MaxNY

Postby MaxNY » November 5th, 2002, 5:34 am

BJ's? How do I become a member? I mean why would Howard talk about puzzles...much more important stuff to chat about.
---Anything on his relationship with the Ling of All Pop?

Rene Clement

Postby Rene Clement » November 5th, 2002, 8:29 am

Originally posted by MaxNY:
BJ's? How do I become a member? I mean why would Howard talk about puzzles...much more important stuff to chat about.
---Anything on his relationship with the Ling of All Pop?
I assume you are talking Michael Jackson, there is a picture of the two of them standing under an umbrella together on page 81.
Hey...maybe that's the clue to the $100,000. Just link the guy in the photo with Blaine to some relationship with your son and collect $100,000 to avoid going to court.

Postby Guest » November 5th, 2002, 12:43 pm

17 pounds over here (much more then 14$)
Very good book for Blaine.
Good publicity. (he knows how to that)
Every magician that hates Blaine must read it and understand why he is there and why you are just here (you are reading his book and he is not reading
a book about you)
I am sure that he showd Maddona some amazing tricks... :D

MaxNY

Postby MaxNY » November 7th, 2002, 8:44 pm

David held a book signing at the Barnes and Noble in Union Square last night (November6,2002). The following rumors come from "Lou" who appeared to be a manager, and was incharge of the event. He said that Blaine tried to get New York City's OK to throw cash from the top of the building, but for some reason (public rioting) could not get the permission to do it. Instead he gave away 100, $50 dollar bills inside a random 100 books, on page 50. (Was that sentence too complicated?) Blaine also claims to have hidden a couple of $50 dollar bills inside other books at the store. To this, Lou appeared skeptical. So, I asked Lou, "How was the turn out? How many books did they sell?"
---350--- Now, he gave away $5000 dollars. Lou was very interested in what magicians thought of David, I tried to answer, it does get complicated. He did have one good story. He thought David was very layed back, and thinks David acts too "God" like, (this also is complicated...) Said that when one person asked that the book be made out to brother "Chris"... David wrote it out to "Christ". The customer then complained... David thought it was "Cooler" that way. I am sorry, but I can't remember if Lou actually said the word "cooler", in fact I can't recall what Lou said, I believe his voice trailed off at that point.
--- I ran into Chris Mindfreak on Broadway, we were both on Cells, but exchanged quick greetings, I told him I thought his show was wonderful.
---Let's see, who else's name can I drop? Oh, yeah I attended a quiet event with Walter Cronkite tonight, And how might I tie this into a magic thread? I expressed interest (last week) in the howz, and whyz Chuck Barris of The Gong Show just left show-biz at the top of his game... This goes for very few, I can only name six or so... Johnny Carson, Doug Henning, and tonight I remembered that Walter Cronkite left the biz at his peak. I will now make a prediction, I believe Blaine too will just disappear at the top of his game.(Either that, or become one of those dudes who drills holes into his forehead, in order to create a flow of blood between the lobes...)

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 7th, 2002, 9:02 pm

David Blaine did a book signing in Alexandria, Virginia tonight. At the book signing last night, in New York, he sold 500 books. That's a very big number for a personal appearance.
Tonight in Virginia he didn't give away any cash (if he did, in fact, do that in New York), but sold over 200 books and the place was totally packed: every inch was taken between people standing and sitting. He spoke for about an hour then began the two-hour task of signing books and talking to purchasers, and posing for photos.
He was extremely laid back, talked about upcoming stunts he's planning, etc. Pushed an acupunture needle through his hand (no gimmick--just pushed it right through)--people cringed, but they loved it. A very enthusiastic crowd in suburban Washington, DC.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » November 7th, 2002, 10:51 pm

It appears the Mr. B has arrived... smart feller.
Stay tooned.

Jon Racherbaumer

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » November 8th, 2002, 2:13 pm

I'll be including a long examination of David Blaine's book in an upcoming GENII. If David can figure out how to cross-over to film, he will be an even bigger celebrity. This is a real challenge because DB is a hybrid.

Madonna has never been as successful in film. Yet who would have thought that Eminem could cross over from MTV Hip Hop to film? Nevertheless, it turns out his new film is excellent and the guy comes across...much better than I expected. Many critics have already given him rave reviews.

With the right script and director and ensemble, like Enimem, Blaine could be powerful on film.

As PB says, "stay tuned"...

Onward...

Postby Guest » November 8th, 2002, 3:37 pm

Jon,

I totally agree. Blaine has the potential to be REALLY big.

I think the key is, besides being at the right place at the right time- which blaine is no stranger to, ...what is really INSIDE of Blaine?

What is David Blaine's PASSION?

MaxNY

Postby MaxNY » November 8th, 2002, 4:25 pm

Jon, No, no, no. Films stars are different than endurance geeks. First of all; films stars have little or no original thought. This arguement is ridiculous, from where do you think he can act? People that like him, and watch him live are people that rent Faces of Death, not Death of a Salesman. Crossing over should not be encouraged.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » November 8th, 2002, 4:42 pm

First of all; films [sic] stars have little or no original thought.
I find that a most curious statement. On what do you base this?

MaxNY

Postby MaxNY » November 8th, 2002, 4:43 pm

David Blaine told the folks at New York radio station WPLJ that he is ready to duel Chriss Angel. Weary of the lesser-known Angel's constant taunts, Blaine said he thinks both men should seal themselves inside a "bubble" and see who lasts the longest without food or water.
---"Anytime anywhere" retorts Angel, "I just wish he could have thought of something more challenging." It appears they are still to iron out details.
---Can we bring back my thread called "Blaine Vs Angel Ground rules for a Duel"??? Webdude.

MaxNY

Postby MaxNY » November 8th, 2002, 5:00 pm

Actors act out other people's original thought.
---I have based my opinion on actors from basically just one event that I, and many thousands of people witnessed. It was at the Academy Awards, maybe three years ago. "Ladies and gentleman...John Glenn."
1,200 actors just sat there and applauded... If you were to introduce John Glenn TO ANY AUDIENCE, ANYWHERE: there would be a standing ovation. And you must agree, standing ovations can be contagious. Not one person in that auditorium had the original thought...this man is a Hero, and deserves a Hero's welcome. And this was after they blasted him into outer space at the age of??? 68??
It was like..they all clapped, but turned to the person next to them and pondered.. "Hey, what was that guy in recently? Wasn't he in that..."

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » November 8th, 2002, 5:58 pm

Jon... how could you? It is "Stay Tooned" tsk tsk. :rolleyes:
Stay tooned.

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » November 8th, 2002, 6:01 pm

Actors act out other people's original thought.
Well Max, while I agree that John Glenn certainly deserved much better, this is a poor moment from which to base your argument that actors merely act others' thoughts. You've obviously forgotten improvisation and character development (which many directors require from their actors, and certainly NOT the writers - God forbid) among other creative traits needed to be a good actor (of course not all film stars are good actors - but we are talking in general, since your comment had an all-encompassing ring to it).

There have been films where little dialogue is written and in fact only the given circumstances of the scene are told to the players, and then they are told to act. Christopher Guest is one writer/director that comes to mind who uses this technique.

Jack Nicholson is famous for changing what he does from take to take, always keeping his fellow actors on their toes and drawing from them their best creative work.

I'm sorry, but your comment is unfounded.

Dustin

MaxNY

Postby MaxNY » November 8th, 2002, 9:25 pm

"Original thought" credits I give to those who can save society from imploding, disease, greed distruction, poverty. NOT to those who simply mimic traits, characters, or actions of others. We spend our lives watching others. I am highly entertained by actors, and appreciate their art form, but still don't think they are capable of original thought. They simply mimic human condition. California exists because of Hollywood, the same as Vegas exists because of gambling.I exist because I like to "all encompass". Get out of California, and witness what has happened to steel towns like Pittsburgh. Cities that exist solely on one buisness, are living dangerous dreams....WAKE UP! They are JUST ACTORS. At some point in isolation, Blaine has probably figured out that once he imitates another personality, his personality becomes obsolete. Enema Embag's movie is about himself isn't it? Unless Blaine's protrayal is about his own life...like Stern did...he will loose it all. He has worked on a screen play about his life, DeNiro bought the rights, working title, "Trick Monkey".
---"Magicians are actors who play the part of magicians", gets too complicated when you add in a third dimension. Maybe it works for Rickie Jay because his "magician" personality wasn't entirely developed to most of his audience. But I do believe he has typecast himself as a Con. Could Blaine typecast himself into a magician/escape guy role????
Perhaps.

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » November 8th, 2002, 11:19 pm

Boy, it's hard to argue with that logic.

But what the hell, I'll give it just one little shot: the California agriculture industry exports about $21 million per day. It's the number one agricultural state in the nation based on production. It produces 50% of the nation's fruits and vegetables with a mere 3% of the nation's farmland.

But what do I know: I'm just a wide-awake native of California - the land of fruits and nuts.

Dustin
(Doesn't recall saying actors were anything other than actors.)

Postby Guest » November 8th, 2002, 11:36 pm

D.

Arguing with MaxNY over the degree of talent, knowledge, study, discipline, and intelligence required of the actor as artist is akin to responding to someone who looks at "modern" art and says "I could do that."

--Randy Campbell

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » November 9th, 2002, 12:02 am

You've got me there DR. DUK.

Given his comments:

Films [sic] stars are different than endurance geeks. First of all; films [sic] stars have little or no original thought.
and;

"Original thought" credits I give to those who can save society from imploding, disease, greed distruction, [sic] poverty.
One can conclude that he believes "endurance geeks" have original thoughts and can "save society from imploding, disease, greed distruction, [sic] poverty."

But there is one thing on which we can agree:

This arguement [sic] is ridiculous…
D

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 9th, 2002, 7:51 am

Max NY's argument makes no sense whatsoever. The notion that "actors have no original thoughts" is preposterous. Given his explanation of what he believes original thoughts are, it's even more bizarre, because they have nothing to do with acting.
Having just been to this book signing and watched "regular" people react to Blaine, I can assure you that to them he is a "star." They reacted exactly the way people do around Copperfield and other "stars" I've met. And he is building on his base. By Max's definition, Houdini was an "endurance geek" as well. He's one of the most recognizable stars of the 20th century.
OH! And forget Blaine vs. Criss Angel: I really want to see two guys who put these babies to shame ... Alien vs. Predator! Superman vs. Batman!

Postby Guest » November 9th, 2002, 8:11 am

Superman vs. Batman!

Unless the Batcomputer can anylize the secret ingedient for Kryptonite...I don't think this would be one of Batmans better days :)

Mike

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » November 9th, 2002, 8:21 am

C'mon Richard,
Everyone knows Alien would open a can-o-whoop-ass on Predator, and Superman vs. Batman wouldn't be a fair fight. Batman vs. Spider-Man; now that would be interesting.

Personally, I'd rather see Ginger vs. Mary Ann and Samantha vs. Jeannie.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 9th, 2002, 8:32 am

"Personally, I'd rather see Ginger vs. Mary Ann and Samantha vs. Jeannie"
Dustin: would those fights be nude or clothed? My vote depends upon your answer
Also, please no one hold your breath for any sort of Blaine vs. Criss Angel challenge. It will never happen: Blaine has nothing to gain by participating, and plenty to lose.

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » November 9th, 2002, 8:34 am

Well of course they would start clothed. Then it's "no holds barred" baby!

Postby Guest » November 9th, 2002, 8:34 am

Personally, I'd rather see Ginger vs. Mary Ann and Samantha vs. Jeannie.

Now we're talking...I'd wrestle any of them in a vat of cream corn!

Mike

MaxNY

Postby MaxNY » November 9th, 2002, 11:37 am

I think there is a common denominator in the way Blaine attracts Latin American immigrants, and Houdini attracted Europeans. I'm not argueing that neither were stars, I'm saying Blaine shouldn't crossover into acting.
---If Blaine keeps ignoring Angel, and Angel keeps pulling off better and better stunts, Blaine has a lot to loose. I see a big future in Endurance challenges, isn't that what we all expected of "Survivor", (before they turned it into a popularity contest).

Postby Guest » November 9th, 2002, 2:24 pm

Max, as much as I appreciate your wisdom and do respect your viewpoints I must comment on some of your thoughts.

First off: David Blaine is NOT a "geek". Daryl Hannah would not hangout with a geek on a regular basis- bad for image. Also, Blaine is much larger than an "endurance geek"; I don't know of any endurance specialists that have four TV specials under their belts.

Second of all: A performer crossing over from their original point of popularity happens all the time. Just ask Channing Pollock, Bette Midler, Dolly Parton, Willie Nelson, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Whitney Houston, Vanilla Ice, Ice-T, Ice Cube, Penn and Teller, Ricky Jay (as you already mentioned), Randy Travis, Mariah Carey, Britney Spears, and The Rock. Now, granted, most of this list did not "cross over" successfully, but a few did to varing degrees of success. I wouldn't want to be the one (and you know there were at least a hand full) that told Arnold he was crazy for even thinking of doing any kind of film; and I think you don't want to be in that position.

My feelings on David Blaine expanding his horizons are: if he WANTS to do it, and can SEE himself doing it- it will happen; IF he has any kind of acting ability. But it has to come from him, and no one else- just like Arnold.

On the Blaine vs. Angel subject my thoughts are Blaine kills Angel on endurance stunts. Blaine has brought the stunt "performance" to heights never realized before until now by him, and basically Angel does not yet grasp the whole stunt thing. As for the "caught-on-camera" roaming street magic, Angel could give Blaine a run for his money (especially in the stooge dept.), but again Angel is playing catchup and should really try to find his own niche. I agree with Richard, if Angel plays this game he will always be viewed as a wanna-be. Blaine is the original (post modern) and the best... for crying out loud, he's done it three times! Blaine is the Master, period.

MaxNY

Postby MaxNY » November 9th, 2002, 6:08 pm

Alright, enough about me... Hey, I got some great clues from a newspaper...as to the whereabouts of the $100,000. Has anybody else seen any clues? Are there any sites dedicated to clues?
Should I release them here? Or start a different thread? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
Dust in the wind... all you are is Dust in the wind...

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » November 9th, 2002, 7:43 pm

I hated that song when it was released.

Dustin (The Wind)

Postby Guest » November 9th, 2002, 8:19 pm

Max

Exactly which Angel stunts are you talking about? The one in Times Square that about 6 people witnessed.

Christ Angel is a Blaine wannabe. He will always be Murray to Blaine's Houdini. Didn't you read the book? (Or were you just looking for the clues?)

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 9th, 2002, 9:36 pm

Max: Please DO start a thread with clues from the Blaine book. With everyone on the Genii Forum posting, I bet we could figure it out pretty quickly: but who gets the dough? Uh, oh ... lawsuit!

MaxNY

Postby MaxNY » November 10th, 2002, 6:28 am

I'm not gonna travel to San Fransico just to turn over a rock... Opps, just gave away a clue.
So, I will start a clue thread. But, I will disguise the header, (maybe we can keep the lay people outta this). I will call it the "Invisible Thread".

MaxNY

Postby MaxNY » November 12th, 2002, 5:05 am

Who exactly was Tarquo the Great?
---Why isn't there more credit given to His Klauschness?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 12th, 2002, 8:10 am

It's either a gag or a clue ...

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 12th, 2002, 8:11 am

Now, does anyone have anything to actually say about Blaine's book "Mysterious Stranger"? Have any of you bought and/or read it?

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » November 12th, 2002, 8:24 am

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
Now, does anyone have anything to actually say about Blaine's book "Mysterious Stranger"? Have any of you bought and/or read it?
I'm about 2/3 of the way through it, and it is excellent. Ghost-written, I'd guess, by Larry "Ratso" Sloman (of Kinky Friedman and "High Times" fame) who is credited with assistance, the book is a look at Blaine and his magical life and idols. There's quite a lot on Houdini, Alexander Herrmann, Carl Hertz and others. Simple tricks are explained, lots of pictures -- it is an excellent magic beginner's book for an adult.

Many stories about Blaine growing up, his path to fame, his decision to go to "the people" for his TV shows, his use of stunts. Pictures of Paul Harris and Bill Kalush.

It is, naturally enough, for David's fans. Enjoyable reading, very good graphics, and when I find the hidden bauble and split the take with MaxNY, I'll let you all know.

Matt Field

Return to “Buzz”