Ricky Jay in "The Heist"

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.

Ricky Jay in "The Heist"

Postby Guest » November 18th, 2001, 2:39 pm

Early in the movie, Ricky Jay is carrying a stack of books (right before the Jewel Store robbery). One of them is titled: "The Magic of XXXX", and I couldn't tell what XXX is. Has anyone else noticed??

Bill Mullins

Re: Ricky Jay in "The Heist"

Postby Guest » November 18th, 2001, 2:42 pm

I also noticed and it went to quick for me. I made a mental note to watch more closely when it comes out on cable. In the mean time, I also wonder if anyone got it.

Postby Guest » November 19th, 2001, 3:59 pm

oddly enough, the stack of books in question is being advertised on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dl ... 1487794111

Unfortunately, the photos don't answer the question.

Bill Mullins

Postby Guest » November 23rd, 2001, 11:20 am

I noticed it too, and I think the word following "Magic of" was a place. For some reason, I'm fixating on "Barcelona," although I could be wrong. In any event, don't be surprised if it turns out to be a travel book, not a magic book.
Ralph

Postby Guest » November 23rd, 2001, 5:00 pm

Anyone else seen that commercial for Bob Dylan's new album (can I use that word now?) or CD where he's playing cards with Ricky Jay? Strange seeing him on a commercial for a music CD.

He's dealing cards and playing cards with a couple of guys. At least I think it was him.

Anyone else seen this?

Postby Guest » November 23rd, 2001, 8:23 pm

Just came back from Heist and can confirm the title on the book as "The Magic of Barcelona." My guess is it's a joke Jay put in for amateur magicians just like me.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » November 23rd, 2001, 8:25 pm

Yes - it's Ricky Jay helping to promote Dylan's latest album (and yes, you can say that because there is a vinyl edition), Love and Theft. It's no surprise that he would know Dylan, given that in the 70's RJ performed quite a bit at McCabe's Guitar Shop in LA, which was (actually still is) a popular "folk" venue. You can view the entire commercial at Columbia's Dylan site: http://www.bobdylan.com/updates/index.html

Enjoy!
Dustin

PS: It's in the "News" section - you have to scroll down to 8/28/01.

[ November 23, 2001: Message edited by: Dustin Stinett ]

Postby Guest » November 24th, 2001, 12:26 pm

Originally posted by Dustin Stinett:
Yes - it's Ricky Jay helping to promote Dylan's latest album (and yes, you can say that because there is a vinyl edition), Love and Theft.

It's okay to call a CD an album, because it is a collection of songs, like a photo album is a collection of pictures. CD and Vinyl refer to the medium only.

Bill Mullins

Postby Guest » November 29th, 2001, 2:25 am

In this week's Observer (a "serious" UK Sunday newspaper), the film review of "The Heist" mentions "Mamet regular, the stage illusionist Ricky Jay".

"Stage illusionist"? I don't think that Ricky Jay would be flattered to read that.

Postby Guest » November 29th, 2001, 3:00 am

The writer probably assumed that the 52 assistants are 52 assistants.

[ November 29, 2001: Message edited by: Ralph Bonheim ]

Return to “Buzz”