Yo Stick - da cane goes hip-hop?

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Jonathan Townsend

Yo Stick - da cane goes hip-hop?

Postby Jonathan Townsend » September 2nd, 2005, 6:02 pm

Saw the commercial for a new yo-yo that looks very like a dancing cane. It's called Yo Stick.

Watchathink?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Pete Biro

Re: Yo Stick - da cane goes hip-hop?

Postby Pete Biro » September 2nd, 2005, 7:08 pm

YO... hahahah

Ever watch a cop on the street during a parade? They do moves with their Billy Clubs that look just like dancing cane moves... holding the leather thong like a kid magician with his new dancing cane.

Dancing cane... a great principle, but over used, in that after about five seconds it is too long and anybody watching figures it out.
Stay tooned.

Christopher Starr

Postby Christopher Starr » September 2nd, 2005, 9:13 pm

Definitely could force a few folks to shelve the dancing cane for a while. In fact, I thought that the kid doing the stick moves in the commercial that I download looked far better than most dancing cane routines that I have seen over the years!

Here's a link:
http://es.spindox.org/vids/promos/Yo-Stick.mpg

Postby Guest » September 5th, 2005, 6:13 pm

The dancing cane was marketed as a yo yo like stunt in the early 80's at Tokyo Disneyland..they must have sold tens of thousands of them! It's much ado aqbout nothing...

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 5th, 2005, 8:08 pm

The Dancing Cane sold at Tokyo Disneyland is made by Tenyo and sold by their demonstrators at their magic shop in the park. It is performed as a Dancing Cane--not a yo-yo stunt.
They have sold ZILLIONS since the park opened in 1983.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » September 6th, 2005, 3:50 pm

I'm sure they have! but When I was there, it was being demonstrated on the "streets" of Disneyland, not in a magic shop...and there was no attempt to present it as a magic demonstration

Postby Guest » September 6th, 2005, 4:20 pm

Two points about the dancing cane.
1. When the dancing cane was first introduced it used a gentleman's evening dress cane. The audience had no reason to suspect "magic apparatus". It was an ordinary article. However, nowadays gentlemen do not wear (that's right you 'wore' a cane) a cane so there is no thought other than a piece of trick apparatus.
2. The quintessential performer of the dancing cane was Peter Pitt. All others take a back seat.

smokemist

Postby smokemist » January 13th, 2006, 9:22 am

can't see this catching on at all.. looks stupid to me, not much resemblace to the dancing cane. worry not.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » January 13th, 2006, 4:00 pm

Peter Pit was OK with the cane, but Ken Brooke was very funny (eccentrick dance) and a guy I saw in France once was incredibly funny as his can had a life of its own and would beat on him. Hard to describe but a guy and his can having a fight... riotously funny.
Stay tooned.

Return to “Buzz”