Keith Barry

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
John LeBlanc

Keith Barry

Postby John LeBlanc » May 12th, 2006, 5:10 pm

Okay, I realize we're only ten minutes into this, and I may be jinxing things by saying this, but I am really enjoying this show.

John
http://www.escamoteurettes.com/blog/

Re: Keith Barry

Postby Guest » May 12th, 2006, 6:02 pm

Yeah, it was pretty good. My wife kept making comments like "He's the Devil" which is her way of saying she's impressed by the magic.

Gord

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » May 12th, 2006, 6:08 pm

Aside from the DaVinci Code bit, which I did not understand at all, I thought it was really good.

Director was Michael Dimich -- didn't he work with Copperfield as well?

-Jim

magicking
Favorite Magician: Tommy Wonder

Postby magicking » May 12th, 2006, 6:11 pm

I'm with you Jim on the Davinci Code.. I did not understand the effect at all... I did like his routine with Matthew McConhughey(sp)..
Michael King
All Things Are Possible If You Believe!

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » May 12th, 2006, 6:23 pm

I was confused at first too.
I think the idea was that he "hypnotised" them to forget what they did (tear out the page and put in in an envolope). Once they have "forgotten", they were then amazed that the page which they thought they had just seen was missing and ended up in a sealed envelope.
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

John LeBlanc

Postby John LeBlanc » May 12th, 2006, 6:23 pm

Anyone notice the "Chief Magic Consultants" listed at the end?

Joe Hoey
Dan Harlan
Kenton Knepper.

The "Magic Consultants" listed:

Greg Arce
Ted Karmilovitch
Sean Fields
Dean Dill
Barrie Richardson
Allen Zing
Brian Lewis
Lincoln
Tony 'Doc' Shiels
Billy McComb

Can't argue with that list.

John

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » May 12th, 2006, 6:34 pm

Originally posted by Joe Pecore:
I was confused at first too.
I think the idea was that he "hypnotised" them to forget what they did (tear out the page and put in in an envolope). Once they have "forgotten", they were then amazed that the page which they thought they had just seen was missing and ended up in a sealed envelope.
Yeah, that was the intended effect, but it came across more as a gag to me, and I was waiting for either the punchline or the "magical" punchline (i.e., the page was no longer in the envelope and was restored back in the book). When neither came, all that was left was a VERY unconvincing effect.

But yeah...good list of consultants, and the rest of the show reflected that kind of quality.

-Jim

Postby Guest » May 12th, 2006, 6:54 pm

Originally posted by Jim Maloney:

Director was Michael Dimich -- didn't he work with Copperfield as well?
Yes, Michael Dimich directed quite a few of Copperfield's specials.

Postby Guest » May 12th, 2006, 6:58 pm

I enjoyed the show also.

It seems to me that his goal was to fool magicians more than laymen with his card effect.

The prediction wallet trick blew me away.

John LeBlanc

Postby John LeBlanc » May 12th, 2006, 8:55 pm

Originally posted by andrew martin:
I miss Doug Henning :)
Why?

John

Bob Baker

Postby Bob Baker » May 12th, 2006, 9:02 pm

Some tricks were good (Rubik's cube, spikes), some bad (DaVinci Code) and at least one ripped-off (art gallery).

But the greatest fault, to me, was that Mr. Barry came off simply as a nice young man who presents tricks nicely, indistinguishable from other nice young men who also present tricks nicely. Pleasant guy, but bland. Certainly not a compelling personality. Certainly not a "mind control expert."

Mr. Barry should study his Derren Brown a little more carefully, not just appropriate his material.

Bob

Postby Guest » May 12th, 2006, 10:17 pm

Who actually owns the Art Gallery effect?

Postby Guest » May 12th, 2006, 11:26 pm

I would describe this show as forgettable, at best.

Bob Baker

Postby Bob Baker » May 13th, 2006, 4:07 am

Originally posted by Bill Palmer:
Who actually owns the Art Gallery effect?
Bill:

While I do not wish to get into a discussion of the "ownership" of magic effects, Derren Brown originally performed this routine on one of his early "Mind Control" specials. Derren had some advertising guys create an ad for an imaginary company and correctly predicted what they would come up with. Then Derren showed how while the ad guys were being driven to the site of the taping they were influenced by "subliminal" messages along the route.

The only differences in the Barry routine were the use of an art gallery and the poor presentation. The "mind control" aspect of the premise is clearly Derren's. Incidentally, I don't think it's coincidence that Barry calls himself a "psychological illusionist," a term originally used by Brown.

Bob

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » May 13th, 2006, 4:29 am

I really enjoyed the show and Keith Barry really comes through the screen at ya.

The hanging mise en scene was great, but Barry's back-slappin' Irish pub crawler persona up to that point undercut its effect ("Yer jest kiddin' my boy!").

Maybe someone else's life should have been at risk (e.g., an unsuspecting audience member), but maybe not.

Postby Guest » May 13th, 2006, 4:30 am

The DaVinci piece was terribly done. I watched this with a couple of friends and my significant other and everyone was very confused at the end of that effect. He just seemed to ramble on things that no one understood. It was not clear what he was trying to do and in the end no one knew what to think. Most of the effects were well received by my group though. The blindfold drive was well done. The celebrity effects were nice...the card effect very impressive, the smash and stab was a fantastic performance. The art gallery effect came across as too perfect and this also didn't register well with some in my group. The other low from the show according to my friends was the last effect. No one thought he was ever in real danger and the whole staging with the hang man etc got huge laughs. I think this was largely because of what Bob Baker stated above in that Keith did not come across as a mysterious figure. Derren Brown, David Blaine and to some extent Criss Angel come across as nice guys but also with a hint of mystery in them. To pull off that last stunt you had to have that type of personality. Just my thoughts...but overall I definitely enjoyed the magical aspect of this show more than the Blaine special.

Postby Guest » May 13th, 2006, 6:15 am

I liked the Rubiks Cube effect, the Spike effect, and the card effect.

Did anyone else think Jessica Simpson was drunk or stoned?
It was a far better show than the one on Monday.

Jeff

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 13th, 2006, 6:44 am

Keith Barry was chosen by CBS precisely because he is a normal kind of guy--NOT a Criss Angel or David Blaine type (a "large" persona).
His presentation is low-key and the focus is mostly on the spectators.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » May 13th, 2006, 8:07 am

I gotta say, though, Richard, that it just fell flat, in my opinion.
All the celebrity spectators, the cocky attitude.
This guy came off as an arrogant d*ck, I thought.

And the laypeeps who watched it with me were laughing out loud at the ridiculous finale. It was just so silly.

And I'll go on record as saying that David's show on monday was far more compelling. David has managed to create that "real deal" Geller-like persona. Keith just seems like an egotistical entertainer. The two are worlds apart, as far as the public's concerned. But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Postby Guest » May 13th, 2006, 8:24 am

Saw the Show last night, and have to say that CBS made a good choice to go with a normal guy who does cool stuff. The Blaine/Angel look is great but, people don't conect with it the same way. My wife, who is one of the most critical people when it comes to magic, liked this special much more than many other recent ones. Her favorites were the cube, and the spikes...reason? They were simple easy to follow, which I think allowed his charecter to come through that much more. THe two stinkers by everyones standards were THe book and the hanging, wish someone in the editing room had cut these, and left more of the good stuff in. I hope we see more of the good from Keith in the near future.

P.S. Yes Both my wife and I thought that Jessica Simpson was either drunk or on something.

Postby Guest » May 13th, 2006, 10:01 am

I enjoyed the show as did my wife. The weak spots were the previously named effects, book test with DaVinci Code, the hanging, and the art gallery effect. I don't think either the art gallery effect or the book test was clear as to what was happening.

The best moment was the look on Elijah Wood's face when Keith smashed his hand onto the empty cover. You have to understand that top actors are catered to and fawned over by a retinue of people. Strangers idolize them and they come to expect that sort of treatment. Wood's expression conveyed the thought, "I can't believe you just did that to me!" It was marvelous.

It was also interesting to see some of the celebrities have genuine reactions - loaded or not - as opposed to the tight control they usually have over their public personas.

I've seen a few of Darren Brown's shows and think Keith's performing persona has more traction with American audiences. I think he will last longer than Brown would. I believe RK said CBS has signed him to several more specials.

While the Blaine "tide" won't lift my magic "boat," certainly Keith Barry will help my performing career by again showing that an interesting persona can present magic/mentalism in an entertaining way without being weird or strange.

Postby Guest » May 13th, 2006, 10:20 am

I have to agree that when the True reactions came through they were great, Mathew McCougnahey (Yeah I am sure the spelling is way off but you get the point) always has such a "I am such a macho man/jerk" attitude, an image I am sure he try's real hard to keep up, but when he read the prediction his face lit up and a real smile spread from ear to ear... that was the best magic to me, even though it only lasted but a moment.

Postby Guest » May 13th, 2006, 10:24 am

Too much confusion. Especially with the spike effect... flashing back and forth...guy to gal, gal to guy, guy to gal :confused: :confused: :confused:
And as for the "Celebrities" :sleep: :sleep:
The best trick he did, which could be considered in the miracle class, was his landing of a contract for an hour show on major network nationwide TV.
In fairness, he did come across as a likeable person.. :cool: , and did perform some interesting magic... :) ... entertaining, but slow it down!
Still... better than the DB special IMHO.

Ken Becker

Postby Guest » May 13th, 2006, 12:25 pm

I don't understand Ken's confusion with the intercutting of the Spike effect. Seemed clear to me....the same effect with two different people - one male, one female - easy enough to distinguish Rachel Hunter from Elija Wood, at least I could. ;)

The same sort of editing was done with the blindfold drive and the reactions seemed genuine. I enjoyed that, too. I think it could have been a tiny bit clearer that he was seeing through their eyes to drive. That seemed to be quickly passed over.

The bit with Nicolette Sheridan just showed the production of the tarantula and her honest reaction. That could have been set up a bit better and the editing on the Hanging illusion (shades of Maurice Fogel) could have been a bit smoother...as well as the interruption of the climax for a series of commercials. It was something "big" to sell to the suits who run television and know little to nothing about show business.

Normally, I find the editing of these specials to be irritating and done by people who don't know much about magic and are often a beat or two behind. This one wasn't and the fancy editing was kept to a minimum.

Of course, the entire production was aimed at the MTV generation and those weaned on MTV for the past few years. In that respect I think it was more successful than Blaine's work. Keith has a lot of charm and remained in control without being overbearing. That's a fine line to walk with celebrities who know that it all about them, all the time.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 13th, 2006, 4:59 pm

The special came in second in its time slot with a rating of 3.8. It was beat by Howie Mandel's game Show Deal or No Deal which attracted twice as many viewers.

Postby Guest » May 13th, 2006, 5:51 pm

Second for the hour isn't bad, considering that Deal or No Deal is a powerhouse AND CBS really didn't hype the program nearly as much as they could have. I didn't see nearly the same number of commercials for Keith as I did for Blaine.

Further, Blaine was on a weekday night and CBS, in its wisdom, put Keith on a Friday night when the target demographic is not home watching TV. The same thinking sank the original Star Trek back in the late 60s. You'd think the suits would have learned something by now.

Apparently not.

Postby Guest » May 13th, 2006, 6:47 pm

Originally posted by Travis Winkler:
I gotta say, though, Richard, that it just fell flat, in my opinion.
All the celebrity spectators, the cocky attitude.
This guy came off as an arrogant d*ck, I thought.

Hey, opinions are like fingernails: we all have them.

But for the record, I couldn't agree with you less.

Postby Guest » May 13th, 2006, 8:06 pm

I agree with Mr. Hook.
I didn't find Mr. Barry to be an arrogant d*#k at all.
Perhaps Travis has never met a TRULY arrogant D*#K...

After watching me for 30 years, you cannot find a more cynical audience (where magic is concerned) than my sister; And she liked it!
In fact, during the entire show, she made nary a withering comment. Trust me, that's huge.

Postby Guest » May 13th, 2006, 11:10 pm

Okay, perhaps my language was too strong.
He had a frat-guy demeanor, in my opinion.

Postby Guest » May 14th, 2006, 1:57 am

I don;t understand why the two best television magicians i,ve seen in years are NOT on television in the USA:

CYRIL TAKAYAMA
&
DERREN BROWN

?

Postby Guest » May 14th, 2006, 4:04 am

Well probally due to lack of clout and money!.Derren Brown is not lacking in ideas and his shows are put together by himself and Andy Nyman.So no list of consultants there.What if CBS did not come looking for Keith Barry but rather his management company [who also manage the biggest rock band on the planet] said ''You take our boy and you can have a exclusive concert with our band.

John Bowden
Location: Main Street, Urlingford, Co. Kilkenny, Ireland, E41 Y9K2.

Postby John Bowden » May 14th, 2006, 5:46 am

The general consensus here about Keith Barry's Special is positive with some reservations and a few strong criticisms. As this Special has not aired here in Ireland yet it would be amiss of me to comment on it. However Keith Barry has had a series here on Irish Television and also had a Christmas Special which featured the late and great Billy McComb as a guest. His CBS Special last Friday would, it seems, have contained some of the effects that aired here.

Lay people here rate him very highly and he has had a tremendous amount of television coverage between advertising products and guesting on various different live chat shows.

He may not be the greatest magician of all time, he may not even be the best Irish magician, but he is the magician here who, like Paul Daniels in England, has created a new impetuous to magic as an entertainment for adults. I rarely do a corporate gig without being asked about Keith Barry at some table or other.

Does he have good management? Does he have corporate backing? Has a great deal of money been invested in him?............... the answer to all these questions in YES.

The management in question is the same management team that looks after Bono and U2 so I presume they could use a bit of clout to get their boy on the television. BUT and here is the question, why would they do it for him and not for me, do they see something there that Mark y fails to see. They, the U2 management, do not promote somebody unless they see huge potential for profit somewhere down the financial line. The must see that in Keith Barry.

I would hope that begrudging magicians would reflect before they rush to post.

I too would like to see Derren Brown get the Specials that he deserves in the USA but I don't begrudge the starlight shining on Keith Barry for one minute. He has worked hard, both at his magic and at promoting himself, has invested huge amounts of his own and family money, and spent countless hours traveling over and back to the US from Ireland to create the magician he has become.

He is a truly nice friendly guy and I expect that his fame will not change that.

Cheers from the Emerald Isle
John Bowden

John LeBlanc

Postby John LeBlanc » May 14th, 2006, 7:16 am

Originally posted by John Bowden:
He may not be the greatest magician of all time, he may not even be the best Irish magician, but he is the magician here who, like Paul Daniels in England, has created a new impetuous to magic as an entertainment for adults. I rarely do a corporate gig without being asked about Keith Barry at some table or other.
Like in the case of David Blaine, it would be profitable for a person to ask himself (and honestly answer) the question, "Why is that?"

Pondering the questions "Who is the best magician today?" or "Who did the most original material?" and the like are not, necessarily, bad questions. They serve a purpose on our side of the fence, but television audiences aren't on our side of the fence. Those questions have nothing to do with figuring out the success of either David Blaine or Keith Barry.

Keith Barry on Friday night accomplished the same basic task David Blaine has: he connected with audiences. How? Well, even Simon Cowell in his very good book, "I Don't Mean to Be Rude, But" had difficulty clearly explaining what he calls "the X Factor." But the most successful television executives have a knack for knowing it when they see it, and taking a chance on the performer.

All in all, I thought the special was safe. I thought it was very good, but safe. And safe isn't necessarily a bad thing at this point given what's hit the airwaves over the last four or five years. Number 2 on a Friday night during primetime is pretty darned good, wouldn't you say?

John

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 14th, 2006, 7:34 am

I think Derren Brown is too "British" for American TV audiences.
Cyril is a different case, and American TV audiences may simply be too questioning and cynical to accept his brand of magic.

Postby Guest » May 14th, 2006, 7:50 am

I enjoyed the show!

Yes, there were a couple of the bits that I enjoyed less than the others, but I thought that overall he did a great job!

He's a fresh face with some personality and I think that he came off well with the audience! I wish him success!

Robert Sixx

Postby Guest » May 14th, 2006, 10:24 am

I found the show, interesting. Mr Barry's persona didn't appeal to me But I'm not CBS's target audience. If , as printed here it finished second behind block buster Deal or no Deal. It show's the promotion worked Barry was all over the tube
promoting it And it's likely they'll be more to follow. With , since networks are huge copy cats. Similar shows elsewhere. Giving work to other "illusionists"
Good , IMO for the biz
from
Ford

Postby Guest » May 14th, 2006, 10:39 am

I think John Bowden's post is one of the most intelligent I've read in a long time. The fact that one of the most important management companies in the world backs Barry AND that he has a track record on Irish television is vitally important.

Being represented by a major player is enough. His management did not do anything as foolish as bargain U2 for an unknown. That would be extremely bad business, BUT, with that said, agents/managers with that level of clout are kept happy by people who do business with them. I have no doubt that got them in the door to pitch the idea of a Keith Barry special to the suits at CBS.

The fact that Keith knows television, knows what it takes to deliver, has a proven track record and is experienced and willing to accept the massively hard work that a television special requires, all worked to his benefit.

The suits at CBS are, after all, taking a gamble putting an unknown on a major television network, hoping he will justify the asking price of advertising time. I think their gamble paid off and I'll be happy to see him do another show. It will only help me in my work.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » May 14th, 2006, 1:32 pm

I went tooling around the Keith Barry section at the CBS site (HERE) . There is a photo gallery that has snaps with Harrison Ford and Calista Flockhart, Matthew Perry, and other celebs I only recognize by face. Perhaps these are from future shows already in the can?

I enjoyed the show. More importantly, so did my son Chris (who is in TVs key demographic). We both didnt care for the Da Vinci Code piece. It confused my son. I understood the effect and explained to Chris that it can be very difficult to convey an effect that is being felt by only one person (or in this case, two) to the rest of the audience. I can only imagine its ten times more difficult through the TV screen.

My wife was momentarily confused by the back-and-forth clips in the blindfold drive. I told her that there were two different gals, she connected and enjoyed it a lot: The other guys who do that drive real slow!

Chris said something very interesting during the Hangman piece: Just do it: We know how its going to end. Perhaps Mr. Barry went too far (too many nooses perhaps) in trying to build suspense with an American audience notorious for having short attention spans?

The Rubiks Cube piece was the family favorite, followed by the Million Dollar Card Trick.

Its pretty clear we all will be watching subsequent shows.

Dustin

Postby Guest » May 14th, 2006, 2:04 pm

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:

Cyril...American TV audiences may simply be too questioning and cynical to accept his brand of magic.
I don't think so. All the laymen I've sent Cyril vids to loved him. I'll bet his day is coming.

Postby Guest » May 14th, 2006, 3:20 pm

What do you all think of Keiths performance of Wayne Dobson's Smash and Stab made by Colin Rose? Fantasma is the exclusive importer of this effect.

Return to “Buzz”