Blaine on Forbes 100

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.

Blaine on Forbes 100

Postby Guest » June 3rd, 2002, 4:07 pm

Blaine makes the list!
Check it out here:

http://www.forbes.com/finance/lists/53/ ... ype=Person

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Re: Blaine on Forbes 100

Postby Matthew Field » June 4th, 2002, 6:31 am

Gee, Blaine only made $5 million. Imagine his earnings if only his Double Lift were invisible.

Matthew Field

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » June 4th, 2002, 8:53 am

The answer to your question is on Forbes. David Copperfield's 2001 “stats” (Blaine's in parenthesis):

Power Rank: 23 (96)
Earnings: $60 Million ($5 MM)
Money Rank: 5 (88)
Web Hits: 46,400 (11,800)
Press Clips: 2,010 (596)
Magazine Covers: 0 (0)
TV/Radio Hits: 21 (1)

Elwood

Postby Elwood » June 4th, 2002, 11:22 am

The difference being Copperfield has twenty odd years of royalties still pouring in, where Blaine has only been on the scene for a quarter of that time, if that. Could someone locate the figures for Copperfield's first year in the list, and post them (possibly converting them to the present day equivalent in value)?

Don't think I've seen Copperfield's double lift. I doubt it's as good as Matthew Field's anyway.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » June 4th, 2002, 12:27 pm

I'm not sure what “royalties” you could be thinking of. I doubt if his book is still selling all that much, and I don't recall seeing his TV specials being syndicated much at all – especially the older ones, though wouldn't that be nice? (Where, on the other hand, Blaine's specials were replayed several times in 2001). Copperfield's Got Milk ad does pop up every once in a while – but I can't recall the last time I saw it. There is the Illusions video – and I'd think that is direct sales going into his coffers (along with the other DC merchandise). There's no denying the Copperfield has twenty years on Blaine – and DB is just beginning to build his own “empire.” But I'd wager that the lion's share of DC's $60 Mil comes from touring. The guy is a workaholic, after all.

As for comparing DC's & DB's first Forbes appearances, I'm not a member of Forbes web site (and don't want to be), so unless someone is willing to do that kind of research (if the data is available there, and to what end anyway?), I doubt it will happen, considering – as you pointed out – that you'd have to calculate relative worth. We just have to come to the realization that DC makes more money than he'll ever need and DB is working on making more money than he'll ever need – but he's not there yet.

The last time I saw DC's double was a very long time ago, and it wasn't bad at all. I think many people tend to forget – because of the big illusions – that he was a fairly skilled manipulator early in his career, and he still does some fine close-up magic that requires sleight of hand skills. But you're right - his double is probably not as good as Matt's - and a lot of other people I can think of!

Dustin
(Didn't make $5 or $60 Million in 2001)

Postby Guest » June 4th, 2002, 12:42 pm

Good for Blaine to have made that much. I for one am glad to hear it. How many readers of the Genii Forum have received either the press that Blaine has received in the last year or that much money?.............................................................................................................................................................................. .................Didn't think so. Why not just say "Way to go David" instead of knocking a guy that is doing what everone else just didn;t have the guts to do? I for one am glad for Blaine making that much money and getting as much publicity as he has. If all his detractors spent as much time in search of their own fame and fortune as they did in Blaine-bashing they might not be as vocal...for one thing they would be to busy working to gripe.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat

http://www.mindguy.com

Michael Edwards

Postby Michael Edwards » June 4th, 2002, 1:32 pm

To put this in a bit of perspective, David Blaine's power ranking places him just below "The Whassup Guys" on the Forbes list.

Postby Guest » June 4th, 2002, 3:55 pm

You should see the "Wassup Guys" double lift!

MaxNY
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

Postby MaxNY » June 10th, 2002, 6:33 pm

Blaine's book has not made it to press yet. His advance was close to a million. I work with people from his publisher, and they were REALLY hoping that it was going to make the 2001 Holiday season.

Return to “Buzz”