"Gobsmacked" and "Self-Evident"

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

"Gobsmacked" and "Self-Evident"

Postby NCMarsh » November 10th, 2006, 11:00 am

Murphy's is advertising an effect called "Gobsmacked," viewing the trailer it appears identical to David Regal's "Self-Evident" (published in Star Quality).

I want to be very clear that I have not purchased "Gobsmacked," and I am not making any accusations. But I am curious: has anyone who is familiar with the Regal trick purchased Gobsmacked? Are there significant differences that aren't apparent on viewing the video?

The Very Best,

N.

Re: "Gobsmacked" and "Self-Evident"

Postby Guest » November 11th, 2006, 10:40 am

wow....that IS David Regal's effect with one added thing (which does not add or take away from it). FOr Over $35....yikes.
Save your money!

Postby Guest » November 14th, 2006, 12:53 am

I really like this David Regal effect, and watching the clip, this isn't even performed as well as David does it. Star Quality is hard to find, and when you do it is expensive, however, it can also be found on his first set of DVD's. Pick it up instead, and you get tons of other great material with it. Someone who has contacts at Murphy's should let them know. Has anyone contact David?

Postby Guest » November 14th, 2006, 5:11 am

There is a tread about this on the Magic Cafe. Simon Lovell posted that this effect is similiar to one of his (which he gave the creator permission to use) as well as to David Regal's Self Evident. David did post his thoughts as well but his posts have since been removed at his request I believe. My impression was that he wanted to discuss and work this out off-line.

Postby Guest » November 14th, 2006, 11:37 am

I want to say that David republished Self Evident in one of the magic periodicals out there, but I just can't remember which one.

Postby Guest » November 14th, 2006, 12:32 pm

I don't get it -- if the effects look the same why in the world would anyone pay over thirty bucks for the one trick when they could get the Regal DVD which has a LOT of good effects? Charging way too much for this in my opinion.

Postby Guest » November 14th, 2006, 12:36 pm

Heck, if one doesn't mind going vhs, the Regal videos (with self evident and a slew of other great effects) can often be had for 5-10 bucks a piece.

Postby Guest » November 14th, 2006, 11:11 pm

Originally posted by Jim Coles:
I don't get it -- if the effects look the same why in the world would anyone pay over thirty bucks for the one trick when they could get the Regal DVD which has a LOT of good effects? Charging way too much for this in my opinion.
Probably because they are not aware that the effect is out there. With so many videos on the market, it could be easily overlooked. Especially with Star Quality being out of print. This is why I try to stay away from One-Hit-Wonder type videos. The more I look, the better books and lecture notes become.

Return to “Buzz”