Your Chance to See the HOOKER CARD RISE!!!!!

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Your Chance to See the HOOKER CARD RISE!!!!!

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 31st, 2007, 4:39 pm

If anyone were to ask me to name the most mystifying experiences in my life pertaining to magic, near the top of the list, if not AT the top, would be when the Los Angeles Conference on Magical History rebuilt and performed the legendary Hooker Card Rise in 1993.

They're going to do it again.

This time, however, you dont need to be invited to that most exclusive of soirees in order to see it.

In addition to its performances for attendees of the Conference on November 10, the hosts will present showings of The Hooker Card Rise in advance of the Conference on the evenings of November 1, 2, and 3 at a secret location in Burbank, California.

The number of tickets is extremely limited (the small audiences duplicate the size of those who originally watched Hooker perform in his townhouse in Brooklyn). They cost $100 each and must be purchased and paid for in advance.

Mimicking the crafty Dr. Hooker, who thoroughly bamboozled those lucky enough to witness his Impossibilities by refusing to allow most of them to see it twice, those attending the conference will not be allowed to purchase a ticket for the earlier showings.

Having witnessed the Hooker Card Rise at the Conference when it was originally performed, I cant begin to put into words the wondrous nature of the illusions seen in that 18 minutes (which, on these special evenings, will be preceded by a talk from Jim Steinmeyer on its history). It was real magic, and then some. And for those of you not attending the Conference, this will be the best hundred bucks youll ever spend. Believe me--do it--you won't be sorry.

To purchase tickets and for additional information, contact The Los Angeles Conference on Magic History at 818-588-9168, or by e-mail at magichistory@earthlink.net.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Re: Your Chance to See the HOOKER CARD RISE!!!!!

Postby Guest » August 1st, 2007, 4:35 am

The shortened topic/ tease just kills..Who is putting this on? Jim? Is there any chance they would come to New York or other cities?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 1st, 2007, 11:56 am

Not only are there no plans to perform it in any other cities, but there are no plans to perform it EVER AGAIN. Period. It's a big pain in the neck to do and when the folks putting this on tell me that they're never going to do it again, I believe them. So, if you want to see it, this is your chance:

If anyone were to ask me to name the most mystifying experiences in my life pertaining to magic, near the top of the list, if not AT the top, would be when the Los Angeles Conference on Magical History rebuilt and performed the legendary Hooker Card Rise in 1993.

They're going to do it again.

This time, however, you dont need to be invited to that most exclusive of soirees in order to see it.

In addition to its performances for attendees of the Conference on November 10, the hosts will present showings of The Hooker Card Rise in advance of the Conference on the evenings of November 1, 2, and 3 at a secret location in Burbank, California.

The number of tickets is extremely limited (the small audiences duplicate the size of those who originally watched Hooker perform in his townhouse in Brooklyn). They cost $100 each and must be purchased and paid for in advance.

Mimicking the crafty Dr. Hooker, who thoroughly bamboozled those lucky enough to witness his Impossibilities by refusing to allow most of them to see it twice, those attending the conference will not be allowed to purchase a ticket for the earlier showings.

Having witnessed the Hooker Card Rise at the Conference when it was originally performed, I cant begin to put into words the wondrous nature of the illusions seen in that 18 minutes (which, on these special evenings, will be preceded by a talk from Jim Steinmeyer on its history). It was real magic, and then some. And for those of you not attending the Conference, this will be the best hundred bucks youll ever spend. Believe me--do it--you won't be sorry.

To purchase tickets and for additional information, contact The Los Angeles Conference on Magic History at 818-588-9168, or by e-mail at magichistory@earthlink.net.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » August 1st, 2007, 6:50 pm

To say I was thrilled when I heard of this is putting it mildly. I was out of the country and unable to get back in time (I tried) to see it last time.... I will be early in line for this one!
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » August 7th, 2007, 10:27 am

Well, I missed it the first time - and it looks like I will not be able to see it this time. Too bad it cannot be recorded on video for posterity. Book descriptions never seem to do it justice 8-(

HP

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 7th, 2007, 1:17 pm

Tickets still available but selling fast!

Postby Guest » August 7th, 2007, 4:16 pm

It is a shame it can not be recorded to DVD as I would love to go but cannot.

Angelo

Mike Rozek

Postby Mike Rozek » August 7th, 2007, 4:21 pm

I just read, for the first time, the description of the effect in Greater Magic. I don't think I could be any more excited about seeing this performance. I'll be there!

Postby Guest » August 7th, 2007, 4:25 pm

Originally posted by Angelo Carbone:
It is a shame it can not be recorded...
Cannot... really? Does the method use vampires or something?

Anyway whether or not a video presentation is offered is up to the folks who are doing the show. I hope they do make and offer a recording of their work.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 7th, 2007, 6:27 pm

There is no point whatsoever in seeing a video recording of the Hooker card rise routine. The resolution in video recording is poor--you don't even need invisible thread to fool a camera.

The Hooker Card Rise, more than any other effect in magic, needs to be seen by the naked eye in order for it to have any value. You must see it, and stare at it in wonderment, because there is nothing in the way of mechanics to be seen. Anyone could reproduce the effect for a video recording by using thread manipulated by people just above the frame of the camera.

Postby Guest » August 7th, 2007, 6:56 pm

When I was a teenager, and starting to spend time with Faucett Ross, he started talking about the Hooker Card Rise.....I don't think he ever saw it, but had heard the legend and read the description in Greater Magic. The rising cards has always been my favorite effect, and here Faucett was describing the ultimate.

Years later, I got my own copy of Greater Magic and read, and reread many times, the description there. It sounded so perfect, so impossible, I thought surely it must be all hype.......how could it work? Many speculated (perhaps foolishly) that because Hooker was a chemist, that the solution might be chemical.....sounds absurd, but no one had any better explanation. People had theories, but NOBODY really knew.

At the LA History Conference years ago, I finally got to see it live. I expected to be let down. It couldn't possibly be as wonderful as the description. But at the end of the performance, I was totally impressed.....and as Richard said, it was one of the highlights of my magic life. Absolutely amazing.

At one point, Gaughn even asked for a borrowed deck from the audience. Of course, I had one handy, so tossed it up to the stage. Regardless, the named card rose.....then the cards were tossed back to me. I think in another show, the cards were volunteered by Larry Jennings. We were not stooges, I know that much.

It is not a practical trick to perform, it is not cost effective, and there are no proper venues to "troupe with it". It will NEVER be at a convention and most likely will never be performed again.

So, if you want to see the most amazing card trick ever devised.......beg, borrow or steal $100 and get to LA for a once in a lifetime experience!

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » August 7th, 2007, 7:45 pm

In addition to the Greater Magic description, Gene Matsuura took copius descriptive notes and it is still a mindboggler. I can't wait to get there to see it!

Now if I could only find out more about Frank Van Hoven's act, then I would have everything I ever wanted from magic.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » August 9th, 2007, 11:52 am

Could Richard or someone else please describe the effect? I read about it many years ago but have forgotten the specifics of the rising of the card.

Postby Guest » August 9th, 2007, 12:33 pm

A borrowed deck is placed inside an examined glass container, which is then placed on a table. Any card named then rises from the deck. This can be instantly repeated.

A tall glass bowl is then placed on top, and the cards continue to rise. For the finale, any card named rises and then floats out of the deck, up to the top of the glass bowl, then floats back down into the deck.

Everything is examinable.

That, if I recall, is the description in Greater Magic.

I am KILLING myself trying to find a way to get down there to see this.

Postby Guest » August 9th, 2007, 12:44 pm

I will be there on the third looking forward to this event and to meet anyone from the forum (not as good looking as Mr. Biro but what the heck) Scott B. :cool:

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » August 9th, 2007, 12:49 pm

There is more than the card rises I believe. Something about a floating bear's head? Anyone elaborate?
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » August 9th, 2007, 1:28 pm

Sounds like you have to drink a special tea before the effect is performed...Hmmmm

Postby Guest » August 9th, 2007, 2:00 pm

I'm not at all persuaded that a video of the effect, performed according to the conditions described previously, would be appreciably less baffling than seeing it live. 'Thread' doesn't even begin to unravel things...if this is all in the interests of preserving mystique (perfectly admirable btw), fine, but I hardly think most of us who are unable to make it out to CA would consider a video to be 'of no value.'

Just sayin

Postby Guest » August 9th, 2007, 6:09 pm

There's no doubt in my mind that at least one performance will be taped - whether or not the tape is made available to the magi-at-large is another question!

CHS

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 10th, 2007, 7:05 am

No magic of any kind is as baffling seen on video reproduction or TV. It can't be. That's the weakness of TV--you're not in the room with the thing being done. If you think you are, or believe most of what you see on TV, then you (not you personally, but "you" generally) have truly become the zombie that advertisers and purveyors of TV tripe have tried to make you.

Postby Guest » August 10th, 2007, 7:21 am

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
No magic of any kind is as baffling seen on video reproduction or TV. It can't be. That's the weakness of TV--you're not in the room with the thing being done. If you think you are, or believe most of what you see on TV, then you (not you personally, but "you" generally) have truly become the zombie that advertisers and purveyors of TV tripe have tried to make you.
If I want baffling I can watch the news and wonder what's up with people.

When watching magic I'm simply interested in seeing something that looks like magic might be happening as opposed to performances of acting without the trickery or mechanical marvels which lack the will/intent causal component.

Brandon Hall

Postby Brandon Hall » August 10th, 2007, 8:52 am

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
Richard, this is not the place to discuss Criss Angel...
Brandon
"Hope I Die Before I Get Old"
P. Townshend

Postby Guest » October 13th, 2007, 11:26 pm

I just my ticket...I can't wait to see this!

...and see the people that are going to attend. I know of a lot of magicians are flying out from Various parts of the US to see this effect!

Postby Guest » October 15th, 2007, 4:34 am

You know, i wish that this would one day find it's way over the atlantic to us here in the uk, ( Hookers birthplace).
Every account i read of it sounds more and more magical.
:)

but i doubt it will ever happen :(
oh well...

Postby Guest » October 15th, 2007, 11:10 am

I'll be there - barely. I'm coming in just for this, then heading directly back to the airport... (8 hours of "aches on a plane...")

JMT

Return to “Buzz”