Wish I Spoke German (Hofzinser)

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Wish I Spoke German (Hofzinser)

Postby Dustin Stinett » December 30th, 2001, 1:51 pm

I just spent some time at Magic Christian's web site ( http://www.magicchristian.com/ - there is an English link) and left wishing I spoke/read German so I didn't have to wait for the English translation of Non Plus Ultra, his books on Hofzinser. I was not aware that there were (at least) three volumes planned! Volume One is published, Two is coming soon (according to the site) and Three will be in about a year. I can't wait!

The site itself is quite good. There is a photo gallery of M.C. that also includes some nice artwork of Hofzinser.

Happy New Year,
Dustin

JBA Janson

Re: Wish I Spoke German (Hofzinser)

Postby JBA Janson » December 30th, 2001, 11:56 pm

Just some more info.
The Hofzinser volumes (2nd is soon ready with all Hofzinser tricks) are published by

Volker Huber
Edition und Galerie
Berliner Strasse 218
D-63067 Offenbach GERMANY

and just recently he released two splendid works:
a great biography on Leopold Ludwig Dobler 1801-1864, written by Werner H A Debler
and boxed set of a blow book by the German artist Horst Antes accompanied by a monograph on blow books by Huber himself.
All of this in German and superb productions!

Start learning German or you miss out on great stuff!

:) :) :) null

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » December 31st, 2001, 1:23 pm

Hopefully Richard Hatch will get a shot a translating these classics.

Matt Field

CHRIS

Postby CHRIS » December 31st, 2001, 9:21 pm

Just wanted to add to Jan's mentioning Doebler. There is another book about Doebler coming out any day now. It is written by Kaldy Karo from Vienna. I can't comment on how these books compare since I have not received Kaldy's book and I just started with the Debler one.

For all the english speakers who want to know a little bit more about Doebler. I am selling a short bio in English together with the recently released commemorative Doebler stamp. Details at my website http://www.lybrary.com/

Chris....
Lybrary.com

Postby Guest » January 1st, 2002, 12:56 am

I actually e-mailed Magic Christian about the rumored English translations of the Non Plus Ultra books. He said that the first one is in the works, didn't have a date yet. Said that he would be advertising in all the magazines.
Rick

Reinhard Mueller

Postby Reinhard Mueller » January 1st, 2002, 3:07 am

Freunde,

...and may I add something to that:
Just before Christmas a reprint of a magic book appeared at Volker Huber edition which was written by Doebler himself and edited by L. Schellenberg in Wiesbaden, 1832. The title is: "Ein Blick/in/ Doebler's und Bosko's/ Zauberkabinet/ bestehend/ in neuen Belustigungen aus dem Gebiete/ der natuerlichen Magie,/ im gesellschaftlichen Kreise anwendbar./ Herausgegeben/ von/ L. Schellenberg jun/==/ Wiesbaden/ bei L. Schellenberg, Hofbuchhaendler und Hofdrucker./ 1832.", 200 pages, 24 pages of notes regarding the content by Volker Huber and myself (Reinhard Mueller). It is a collection of really astonishing, advanced effects of Close-Up and Card Magic regarding this period of time! Exceptional!

CHRIS

Postby CHRIS » January 1st, 2002, 3:54 am

Is there a way to contact Volker Huber by email?

Chris....
Lybrary.com preserving magic one book at a time.

Sean Macfarlane

Postby Sean Macfarlane » January 1st, 2002, 4:07 am

Hi guys, I'm wondering what is a Blow Book?
Thanks.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 1st, 2002, 9:49 am

A Blow Book is a sophisticated version of The Magic Coloring Book. In its simplest form, every other page is cut short. So, like a Svengali Deck, when you riffle through the pages in one direction, only every other page is seen. When you riffle in the other direction, the opposing pages are seen.
A Blow Book works the same way, except that there can be five to ten different cuts along the edges of the pages, and by placing your thumb on the correct spot, you can show every ONLY fifth page or so.
Ricky Jay did a very fancy deluxe book on the subject, released through the Whitney Museum for over $1000 some years ago. Two volumes came in a clamshell box, one a blow book done using images by famous contemporary artists (William Wegman among them), the other book a history of the blow book by Jay. Now sold out and impossible to obtain.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Michel Andenmatten

Postby Michel Andenmatten » November 30th, 2012, 9:49 am

Let's revive another dormant thread.

The third and final volume of Magic Christian's fantastic Hofzinser trilogy has just been published (in German), as a set of two books due to its large size!

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » November 30th, 2012, 9:57 am

The email from Magic Christian also announced the publication of those volumes in English later next year by Hermetic Press.

Ah, the power of belief/faith.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » November 30th, 2012, 12:13 pm

I've had the opportunity to discuss this project with Magic Christian several times over the past several years. His work on the books has been prodigious, with much original research, and I can't wait for the Hermetic Press English language versions.

Matt Field

Return to “Buzz”