Roger Klause Seriously Ill with Cancer

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Roger Klause Seriously Ill with Cancer

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 23rd, 2007, 12:52 pm

Roger Klause is seriously ill with Stage 4 bone cancer. This began as lung cancer and spread to his hip. He became dehydrated this past weekend and was brought to the hospital where they, at first, thought he might have had a stroke. However, he was just dehydrated and is now back at home.

Feel free to post your good wishes here (and sorry the first thread was deleted).
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jeff Haas

Re: Roger Klause Seriously Ill with Cancer

Postby Jeff Haas » July 23rd, 2007, 1:07 pm

Roger has always been a terrific guy to talk to. One of the great pleasures of magic conventions has just been hanging out with him, and having him show and discuss all sorts of variations of moves...all executed perfectly.

Roger, best wishes in this fight.

Jeff

Postby Guest » July 23rd, 2007, 1:21 pm

Good wishes to Roger, especially for comfort; thinking of you.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » July 23rd, 2007, 1:50 pm

Im sorry to hear about Rogers illness and I sincerely hope he is as comfortable as can be. And I have no doubt whatsoever that his pajamas are immaculate.

Besides being a great magician and genuinely nice guy, Roger Klause is without a doubt one of the most dapper men Ive ever met. Even when hes dressed casually, hes sharper than anyone else in the room.

Many years ago I mentioned this to him. You can do it too, he said. I thought I was dressed okay (given my wardrobe budget), certainly better than most of the attendees of the convention we were at. But Roger pointed out that I was wearing brown leather shoes with a black leather belt. Its in the details, he said.

Some years later I read Lance Pierces Roger Klause in Concert and noted he had a similar experience with Roger. If I recall correctly (the book is not handy at the moment), Lances only fault was the angle of a finger ring. Details indeed!

And this passion for perfection isnt just with his appearance. It shows in his magic.

I am proud to have my name associated with one of his marketed effects (with thanks to Tim Trono), even if it is just an acknowledgment. Hes a great guy and I treasure the memories of the times I spent with him (far too few and brief). My only regret is that I never had the opportunity to see his golf swing. I suspect, given his passion for perfection in all that he does, that it too is as perfect as possible.

Dustin

Passion drives the experts. Egos drive the monkeys.
Roger Klause

Terry

Postby Terry » July 23rd, 2007, 1:54 pm

I agree with Dustin in relation to how very nice Mr. Klause is. Very willing to answer questions, etc.

Best wishes to both he and his family as they battle this.

Postby Guest » July 23rd, 2007, 2:48 pm

I wish all the best to Wanda and Roger. I treasure that time that I was able to spend with both of them when our paths crossed at various conventions. Roger is a perfectionist and it shows in his performances. He has always been very helpful in pointing out the little things that can really improve your magic. His lectures were by far the best that I have ever attended.

My best wishes go out to Wanda and Roger and thier family.

-Gary Berard

Postby Guest » July 23rd, 2007, 5:16 pm

I'm saddened to hear of Roger's illness. I wish him and his family the best.

Bob Gerdes

Postby Bob Gerdes » July 23rd, 2007, 5:20 pm

I was also very sorry to hear this.

My best to Roger and his family.

Postby Guest » July 23rd, 2007, 5:37 pm

Roger has always been a terrific source of information. He is always approachable and willing to share his ideas and extensive knowledge. You can always find him at the late night sessions and usually see him "frying" the guys with some gem. My thoughts and prayers are with him and Wanda during this difficult time.

Gene

Postby Guest » July 23rd, 2007, 6:52 pm

I would also like to send my regards to Roger and his family. He has always been very approachable and friendly. He is indeed one of the classiest men around.

Gordon Bean

Postby Gordon Bean » July 23rd, 2007, 7:11 pm

One of the highlights of the 2007 FFFF for me was seeing Roger. Being around him is always a pleasure, as well as a lesson in keeping a positive outlook. Betraying no sign of his illness, he held court with his usual good humor and charm. I always walk away from our meetings a better, more considered magician, and I hope that there are many more such occasions to come.

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » July 23rd, 2007, 7:39 pm

Damn it, Roger, this is not good to hear. You know that you have much left to teach me, and that I am a slow learner.

Postby Guest » July 23rd, 2007, 9:24 pm

I am so sorry to hear this. This has been a very tough year for magic. My thoughts and best wishes go to Mr. Klause and his family during this tough time. I wish him to be as comfortable as possible as long as possible and thank him for his contributions to magic.

Geno Munari

Postby Geno Munari » July 23rd, 2007, 9:26 pm

Roger. You are a legend that I have met in the journey of life

There is nothing I can say to lessen this tough time.

I love you.

My love to Wanda.
Geno

Postby Guest » July 23rd, 2007, 9:33 pm

Roger is one of magic's best teachers. I am grateful for the many lessons he has taught me. I hope and suspect he has not finished teaching us yet.

Postby Guest » July 23rd, 2007, 11:03 pm

I've known Roger a very long time -- from the days when he would come into Howard's Fun Shop in Houston. Roger has been very generous with his information. If you are a serious student of magic and you are willing to put the time in to perfect something, he is more than willing to help.

I wish I could wave a wand and make all of this go away. But I can't.

But I can and do send out my best wishes and kindest possible thoughts to one of the best magic teachers on the face of the Earth.

Ruben Padilla

Postby Ruben Padilla » July 24th, 2007, 12:13 am

Over twenty years ago I was a teenager attending one of my first magic conventions in Las Vegas (Desert Magic Seminar), and Lance Burton's show was held offsite from the convention, meaning I had to take a cab. I was barely 18, and didn't know anybody. Standing outside on the curb, waiting for a Taxi, I noticed Roger and a couple of his friends walk up. I wasn't quite familiar with who exactly he was, but I knew he was somebody "important".

Suddenly, he engaged me in conversation, and appeared genuinely interested in who I was. His kindness to a lonely kid in a big city meant the world to me, and he insisted I ride in his cab for free. Along the way he made sure I was included in the group discussion.

He also showed me, without being asked(!) his handling of a thumb tip, and (like a good teacher), had me go through the motions with him.

I'm sure he would have done the same with anybody, and undoubtedly has countless times, but he made me feel special, and since that day, I've always loved him.

Thank you, Roger. I'm thinking of you fondly, and wishing you well.

Ruben Padilla
Visit www.MagiciansOnly.com for exclusive book, trick, DVD, & convention reviews!

Postby Guest » July 24th, 2007, 7:40 am

Roger:

Seeker of perfections...
Fastidious in thought, execution, handwriting, and attire...
Cultivator of everything mysterious...
Respecter of real secrets...
Gentle is his gentlemanliness...
Antic in his humor...
Master of "put-ons" that were never "put-downs"...
Map-maker of the Underground...

Friend to all lovers of magic...

In times like this and in his current struggle, what is best in men like Roger bubbles to the surface, sometimes to be recognized for the first time and for others, to be acknowledged and celebrated again...and again...and again...

My positive thoughts are directed to you and yours, Roger...

I want to say, "Do not go gentle into that night..."

Onward...

Postby Guest » July 24th, 2007, 8:03 am

Roger Klause is one of my favorite people in magic. I have only been fortunate enough to interact with him at the 4F conventions, but something about being around him makes me stand up straighter.

The thing about Roger Klause is that he inspires you to be not just a better magician, but a better person.

Prayers for you and yours, Mr. Klause!

JMT

Bill Wells

Postby Bill Wells » July 24th, 2007, 12:47 pm

This is probably the saddest news in a year already with too much such saddness. Roger you are a master of our art. Please know that our thoughts and our prayers are with you and Wanda.

Bill and Becki
Bill Wells

Postby Guest » July 24th, 2007, 1:09 pm

I met and spent time with Roger Klause on a few occasions one being a teach-in I organized in the Chicago area some 20 years ago. A sign of how respected Roger is in the magic community is that one of the attendees that day was Don Alan. The times I met him he was always very friendly, inclusive, respectful, kind and willing to teach.

Originally posted by Joe M. Turner:
The thing about Roger Klause is that he inspires you to be not just a better magician, but a better person.

Prayers for you and yours, Mr. Klause!

JMT
Amen to that and it couldn't be said any better.

Todd Lassen

Postby Todd Lassen » July 24th, 2007, 9:47 pm

Hey Rog. I'll just echo some of the great sentiments above. You are a class act all the way baby!! Thanks for everything, I got your gracious and humble vibes many times!

My very best to you and yours.

Todd

Postby Guest » July 24th, 2007, 11:46 pm

My Love and Prayers to you and Wanda, may you find peace and serenity in each others love.
Besides the time spent together that I cherish, I treasure a few letters full of encouraging words to this Magician when I was young and starting out on my journey. I want you to know that when times were tough I would read and reread those letters full of belief in me, pick myself up and trudge onward. The time you took to write in your magnificent script in the lost art of personal correspondence made a difference in my life and I will treasure those words always.
I love you, Koz

Postby Guest » July 28th, 2007, 10:18 am

Dear Roger;

Wishing you all the best. You are one of the greatest people in magic, that I have had the pleasure to know. You have always been very nice to me and always ready to share a joke or smile. You not only are a great magician but most importantly, a great person. I hope one day to be half as cool as you! You were very helpful and inspirational at my first 4-F and I will always be grateful, Thanks!

God bless you, I hope to hear of a speedy recovery. Get well, I will keep you in my prayers!

Justin -

Danny Archer

Postby Danny Archer » July 28th, 2007, 1:41 pm

Roger has always been a beacon of light in a sea of darkness...

Just saw him at LVMI in June and he was using a cane (needed for a bathroom fall he said)... and for the very first time he looked a bit older...

but in spite of his injury, Roger was front and center for every event and always helping others and sharing his vast knowledge of our art form...

I shot some video at the convention and Roger is in it...
youtube

Wishing Roger and Wanda the very best...

Peace...
Producer of MINDvention
mentalism convention

Postby Guest » July 29th, 2007, 6:25 pm

Rog,

Just returned from a trip abroad and was shocked and saddened by the news of your illness. You're an inspiration and legend to me. I always have appreciated your kindness and friendship over the past few years.
Keep the faith and I'll send good vibes your way.

The other Raj

Postby Guest » July 29th, 2007, 7:57 pm

Roger,

It was a pleasure to meet you this year at Fechter's.
I was the one with the violin!

Your encouragement (which included a hug in a elevator while Bill Malone looked on) is the one memory of this years event which I will cherish.

Richard Sanders and I thought you and Malone would make a wicked pair of hitmen. Two of the coolest (and nicest) cats at FFFF!

Peace and my prayers,

Bill Abbott

Postby Guest » July 29th, 2007, 9:45 pm

Dearest Roger,

You put the "school" in old school!

I'll always cherish the time you spent here in the mountains.

Sorry about the sap trap.(wink)

Yours in the faith,
Ed

Postby Guest » August 3rd, 2007, 1:14 am

Roger has always been a gentleman. Thanks for helping me in my time of need. God Bless you my friend in Magic. You are in my prayers.
Dean Dill

Allan Kronzek

Postby Allan Kronzek » August 3rd, 2007, 6:22 am

Roger,

It was wonderful getting to know you over the years. When you complimented a performance of mine, I was in heaven for days. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Allan Kronzek

Postby Guest » August 4th, 2007, 10:00 am

Just saw this, and want to add my prayers for Roger's comfort and recovery. I've met him but once, but that was a memorable experience. Having undergone the knife more than a few times, once for a potential cancer related issue, I know ill health is no fun. My best to Mrs. Klause and those closest to Roger as well.

Greg Edmonds

Postby Guest » August 4th, 2007, 12:32 pm

Roger

Just want you to know that my thoughts are with you and that I think of you often.
You've touched a lot of lives in a very positive way and if the positive thoughts from all these people helps you fight this enemy you should be well in no time at all.

Very best wishes for a speedy recovery,

Terry Greenwood

Lance Pierce

Postby Lance Pierce » August 13th, 2007, 10:34 am

Roger asked me to pass on his sincere gratitude to everyone for your concern and good thoughts. He's received numerous telephone calls, e-mails, cards, letters and even personal visits, and he's warmly comforted by all of them.

Roger hasn't been able to answer all his letters and is only able to get on the computer about once a week or so, so if you've written him and not heard back, rest assured that you've not been ignored. Both he and Wanda are deeply touched by all of you.

Cheers,

Lance

Postby Guest » August 13th, 2007, 11:42 am

I spoke to Roger last week. His sense of humor is still quite active. I told him he needed to see the outpouring of positive thoughts here on the Genii forum. I remarked that he had more friends than he knew.

He chuckled and replied, "I've got friends I haven't even used yet."

He's one of a kind.

Postby Guest » August 16th, 2007, 10:58 am

Extremely dapper dresser and gifted at sleight of hand? Does that make him a metroSachsual?

Lance Pierce

Postby Lance Pierce » August 20th, 2007, 8:58 am

Hi, Guys,

In light of his situation, Roger asked me to put some of his books up for auction. There's more to come, but the first listing is up here .

Thanks,

Lance

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » August 21st, 2007, 12:27 pm

Originally posted by Joe M. Turner:
Roger Klause is one of my favorite people in magic.
Same here

Postby Guest » August 22nd, 2007, 3:13 am

To me, the only person I've met to put in the same league as Roger would be Channing Pollock. Class, pure class. At WMS this year, I got the nerve up to ask him for some help with his copper silver routine from his book. He very graciously spent some time with me and talked about this and other routines, signed my book and treated me like I was something special. He is just one of the classiest guys I've ever met. Always has a smile, a kind word, and looks like a Million bucks.

My thoughts are with you Roger.

Lance Pierce

Postby Lance Pierce » August 23rd, 2007, 8:48 am

Hi, Everyone,

The next listing is now up and available. Check this out: Punx Books

Thanks,

Lance

Lance Pierce

Postby Lance Pierce » August 30th, 2007, 12:08 pm

Hi, Everyone,

Roger has felt significantly stronger lately for having ended the radiation treatments on his hip, but the chemotherapy for his lung is under way. He received his first dose a little over a week ago.

In the meantime, you can see his next set of books here .

Thanks to everyone,

Lance

Return to “Buzz”