Channel one magazine

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.

Channel one magazine

Postby Guest » February 21st, 2007, 9:08 pm

The last issue of Channel one (#14)was published in 2005. When I asked in early November 2006, someone at Channel one said issue 15 would be ready in a month. It has still never arrived. Since then, they don't respond to any of the dozen or so emails I've sent to their various addresses. Has anyone received issue 15?

Marc Rehula

Re: Channel one magazine

Postby Marc Rehula » February 22nd, 2007, 1:01 pm

Their website says that they're putting together issue #14 (sic?) after getting back from the Midwest Magic Jubilee. Which takes place in August.

It IS February, right? This is not a good pace for a 'quarterly', I don't care what kind of reputation it has.

I've heard this is a good magazine, but I'm not happy that I subscribed last spring. I can't even confirm that I have a subscription, so I don't know that I'll get a copy if it ever comes out.

Postby Guest » February 22nd, 2007, 1:17 pm

I made the mistake of subscribing to Channel one. In order for me to get issue 14 over a year ago, I had to resort to this forum to get a response from them. They have never sent me a single issue without my having to remind/cajole them, so I doubt they even know who their subscribers are. Is it too much to ask that people who take your money actually provide you with a product/service? I wonder how many others have wasted their money on these losers.

Postby Guest » February 22nd, 2007, 1:39 pm

I'd considered subscribing some time ago. The issues are absolutely solid in content, however. Previously I've purchased them thru secondary sources, H&R for instance.
H&R: Channel One Issues

I love H&R as you'll know with 100% certainty their inventory and when youell receive it.
-rk

Postby Guest » February 22nd, 2007, 1:46 pm

For those poor souls who can't get any answer at all from Channel one, here's what I was told November 8th: " We are still publishing. In fact, we have a new issue coming out in about a month. We've had a LOT of other projects in our way." Since they already have the money of their unsuspecting subscribers, they feel no need to actually deliver a product. Instead, their time and my money are spent creating new ways to fleece magicians. May I suggest that nobody support RFA Productions. By the way, I have over 50 complete files of various magic periodicals. Channel one ranks right at the bottom in quality.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 23rd, 2007, 12:41 pm

These kinds of delays eventually catch up with all small publishers. Some dig themselves out and catch up while others don't.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » February 23rd, 2007, 9:26 pm

I guess you've mellowed with age, Richard. Your tirades against Jeff Busby in Almanac were my inspiration! Actually, I don't really care how long each issue takes to publish. I'm offended that Channel one doesn't have the decency to respond to their subscribers - the people who support them financially.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 24th, 2007, 12:30 am

I have mellowed--as well as having been in the same position with both Richard's Almanac and The Looking Glass. But, I managed to finish both (as did Fulves with Chronicles).
Busby was a different story. He's a crook, not someone who was just unable to meet a timely commitment.

Postby Guest » February 24th, 2007, 7:08 am

I've been involved with Channel One since its inception, in the capacity of "editorial assistant", AKA proof-reader. Over the years, I've repeatedly screamed at Tony about the publication delays. His response has been that when he has enough suitable material, he will publish the next issue.

Tony is a friend of mine, but I am in no way defending his business practices. Poor customer service is poor customer service, period. I e-mailed Tony yesterday and strongly urged him to log onto this forum and to appropriately respond to your valid concerns. We'll see what happens.

Tom

Postby Guest » February 24th, 2007, 12:36 pm

Richard, I was a subscriber to LOOKING GLASS. I received all 4 issues in about the same time as one issue of CHANNEL ONE. I might be wrong, but I seem to remember that you made attempts to let your subscribers know that you hadn't forgot about them. At least I knew you were still around. CHANNEL ONE, on the other hand, refuses to respond to repeated emails. Their website hasn't been updated in over 18 months. Once the last issue was finally published about 16 months ago, they still didn't send me a copy. I had to use the GENII forum to get them to send me one. I really have no idea if they know I'm a subscriber. At what point do I stop calling them tardy and start calling them crooks?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 24th, 2007, 12:55 pm

The final issue of Richard's Almanac was, I believe, several years late.

The final issue of The Looking Glass was also at least a year late, and it took buying Genii to get me off my ass so I could finish it and move ahead.

I realize it's going to be hard for any of you who haven't published one of these types of newsletters/magazines to understand (and note that I do not mean this in a snotty or sarcastic way), but there is a "wall" of some sort that you hit at some point and it's difficult to overcome.

Publishing these newsletters/magazines takes far more time and work than one receives in financial remuneration and eventually those facts collide and a type of paralysis sets in.

There is also the issue of finances: if you have had unexpected expenses in life, and have spent all the subscription money that came in the year before, you have no way to pay for the printing and mailing of the issue. Of course, it's easy to make the argument that the subscription money should have been put in the bank and left there to pay for printing and postage when the time came, but sometimes it just doesn't work out that way.

I think the list of magazines that have taken subscriptions and then gone kaput is a long one: Epoptica, Arcane, Braue Notebooks (why not start with the psychotic [censored] and just get him out of the way) AM/PM, Mr. Gadfly, The Jennings Letter (I add my own little fiasco in here just be fair--I never actually published a single issue and returned everyone's money).

It's really a foolhardy thing to enter this type of publishing and you have to admire people who've really made a go of it over the long run, like Fulves, Lorayne, Miesel, etc.

Postby Guest » February 24th, 2007, 5:12 pm

One word: Penumbra

Postby Guest » February 25th, 2007, 6:01 am

...The Jennings Letter...

This is off topic but I was recently wondering about The Jennings Letter. For the later part of the 80s and all the 90s (started a career, family, etc.)I was not very involved in magic. But I would occasionally stop by the local magic shop to purchase a book or magazine and I purchased a few books from Kaufman & Company via mail order.

Jump ahead to last week and I was cleaning up some old magazines and lecture notes and a check floated to the floor.

I never sent the check but it was for $35 payable to Richard Kaufman dated 01/31/93. In the memo section I wrote The Jennings Letter. I didn't have a clue what it was for, why I didn't mail it and had not heard The Jennings Letter mentioned since my return to magic until it was mentioned above. Mystery solved.

When I did return to this hobby I subscribed to a "monthly" newsletter offered by a visiting magician who was lecturing. It took about three years to get the 12 "monthly" issues. Since that fiasco I only purchase magazines and newsletters from the local magic shop.

I finally did breakdown and subscribed to Genii a few months ago rather than purchase a copy each month. I'm a very happy subscriber.

John LeBlanc

Postby John LeBlanc » February 25th, 2007, 10:45 am

Another word: Onyx

And, how about a phrase: AM/PM Magazine

John

Postby Guest » February 25th, 2007, 12:18 pm

I've received exactly ONE issue of CHANNEL ONE in 3 years. However, because I get so many magic magazines, books, videos, etc., CHANNEL ONE can take all the time they want - I have plenty (too much) to sift thru. My 2 big concerns are:
1)Their records are so bad they don't know I'm a subscriber. This means I won't receive an issue if and when it's finally published.(like last time)
2)They won't respond to emails, update their website, or make any effort to keep subscribers informed. I'm put into the position of begging for information.
When I originally emailed CHANNEL ONE to subscribe, I had no problem getting thru. They quickly and gladly took my money. Since then, they've responded to only one email out of the probably 20 or so I've sent - to multiple addresses.

Todd Lassen

Postby Todd Lassen » March 1st, 2007, 6:57 am

Yes, there are many great publications out there. I was just at MagiFest and I nearly bought the entire Antimony collection. The only reason I chickened out is because I still literally have piles of stuff that I want to read and haven't found the time. As magicians we know how hard it is to say no to such a treasure trove of goodies.

I have all the Channel One publications and they are great in my opinion. And good fun too. I guess I never pay attention as to when I am supposed to receive one but I am always delighted when I do. Maybe the answser is to pay as you go, if that could be possible, for those who are worried that they will be ripped off. I don't think Rosie and Tony are into "fleecing" anyone. They are always busy with many projects and saying that they are "people persons" is putting it VERY mildly. Ha.

On the other hand, looking back, I think the last issue I received was about 6 years ago. Fond memories. Ok Tony, we'll choose to believe or not believe anything you say, but I agree that you should show up and say something, since you are not fortunate to have a team of minions to do your talking, like some other high profile charlatans that we know in the biz. :) The crack and gambling problem may be a good excuse for you, as we all know how pesky those can be.

John LeBlanc

Postby John LeBlanc » March 1st, 2007, 9:30 am

Todd Lassen wrote:
I don't think Rosie and Tony are into "fleecing" anyone.
I don't think they are, either.

John

Postby Guest » March 2nd, 2007, 6:27 am

I spoke to Tony by phone on the 25th and again informed him of your concerns. He reported that his computer had crashed, and that's why he hasn't posted his response. Gee, I guess his computer is still down. Hmm...

He reported that Rosie is working on the illustrations for the latest issue, and that he will soon be sending me the issue for editing. I'm holding my breath.

Postby Guest » July 20th, 2007, 6:58 am

Folks,

Tony has compiled all of the material for issue #15. It is not yet all laid out and illustrated. Earlier this week, Rosie sent me about 70% of the issue for editing. I completed the editing and sent her my notes yesterday. She will eventually send me the rest of the issue, which I will edit and send back to her. Then they will apply the finishing touches and send it to the printer. That is the current, accurate status of the magazine.

Tom

Postby Guest » July 20th, 2007, 2:42 pm

Mid-70s- The Conjurer

Harvey Rosenthal

Postby Harvey Rosenthal » July 20th, 2007, 10:44 pm

Ken Simmons who published ONYX is the biggest thief of all!
A number of years ago I sent him a check for $48 for a year's subscription to ONYX. I didn't receive a single issue. He abruptly stopped publishing ONYX. I telephoned him and requested that he return the $48 that I sent him. He refused to do so. He told me he was having financial problems and could not return my $48 or provide me with a single issue of ONYX. He also mentioned that he was an alcoholic and that was supposed to excuse him for stealing my money. I considered taking legal action, but it wasn't worth going through the expense to sue this low-life. :mad: :mad: :mad:

John LeBlanc

Postby John LeBlanc » July 21st, 2007, 1:58 am

Harvey Rosenthal

Postby Harvey Rosenthal » July 21st, 2007, 5:23 am

Thanks for the Ken Simmons contact information John. I just sent him a message that will certainly help him sleep well tonight. ;) ;)

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 21st, 2007, 7:52 am

Listen, no one compares to Busby. He was taking subscriptions for three publications simultaneously (Braue Notebooks, Arcane, and Epoptica) and then proceeded to not publish any of them! All of these other guys are children compared to the greatest thief of all.

Ken Simmons was busy long before Onyx: he ran a Zeezo's magic shop many years ago that ordered books from me and never paid. After I tracked him down he claimed it wasn't his shop--and that it was some other Ken Simmons.

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » July 21st, 2007, 9:08 am

Richard,

At one time werem't you proceeding with a class action lawsuit of Busby?
Get the Dirty Work - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

John LeBlanc

Postby John LeBlanc » July 21st, 2007, 9:33 am

Harvey, if that contact information doesn't get you any where, try his day time number:

http://kensimmons.point2agent.com/

Postby Guest » July 21st, 2007, 10:50 am

I had never heard of KEN SIMMONS until this thread appeared, so I visited his site. As it turns out he is a:

Selight of Hand Artist

It that another word for pick pocket?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 21st, 2007, 11:45 am

No, there was never a lawsuit against Busby as far as I know. He moved to Idaho to get as far away from anyone as he possibly could.

He cited every natural disaster and health problem possible for the failure to deliver the materials that hundreds of people purchased.

In the end, he's just a crook ... and one who, unfortunately, will never be held legally accountable for his actions.

It's pretty ironic that Bill Larsen fired me as a columnist in Genii in 1987 because I wrote a bit of the truth about Busby. Unfortunately Bill was intimidated and bullied by Busby's lawyer pal, the now deservedly deceased Dave Hardy.

Now I own Genii and Busby is, he claims, a stroke victim in a wheelchair. Slow and steady wins the race ...

Harvey Rosenthal

Postby Harvey Rosenthal » July 21st, 2007, 11:54 am

Richard, do you have an address for Busby so I can send him a get well card? :D :D :D :D

Harvey Rosenthal

Postby Harvey Rosenthal » July 21st, 2007, 12:00 pm

For John LeBlanc

Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely call Ken Simmons if he doesn't respond to my friendly message.

Postby Guest » July 21st, 2007, 4:30 pm

I'm a relative newcomer to magic. I have only been into it for 7 years. What baffles me is compared to other industries, the magic industry seems to rife with decietful people. People who steal other magicians acts/effects/secrets. People who sell cr*p as the latest and greatest whatever. People who sell subscriptions to magazines that never get published.

Yet magicians continue to fall for these cons.

What a sorry state this is. :(

Postby Guest » July 21st, 2007, 4:54 pm

Originally posted by Edward:
I'm a relative newcomer to magic. I have only been into it for 7 years. What baffles me is compared to other industries, the magic industry seems to rife with decietful people. People who steal other magicians acts/effects/secrets. People who sell cr*p as the latest and greatest whatever. People who sell subscriptions to magazines that never get published.

Er, what you mention happens just about everywhere. Life is rife with deceiptful people sadly.

Postby Guest » July 21st, 2007, 5:58 pm

Originally posted by Edward:
I'm a relative newcomer to magic. I have only been into it for 7 years. What baffles me is compared to other industries, the magic industry seems to rife with deceitful people. People who steal other magicians acts/effects/secrets. People who sell cr*p as the latest and greatest whatever. People who sell subscriptions to magazines that never get published.

I'm sorry to say that this is not just confined to the magic world. There has been a lot of loud yelling in the stand up comedy world in the last year or so about people ripping other people's material off.
You may have heard of the Avril Lavigne scandal where she is being accused and sued for ripping people off.
Unfortunately ripping people off seem to happen all the time. Hell, it even happened to me and I'm a nobody.

Gord

P.S. The quotes button is back. Yaaaaaaay!

Postby Guest » July 21st, 2007, 8:33 pm

I actually owe Jeff Busby a lot of gratitude. I was in 9th grade in school in Germany and one day took the Busby Magic Newsletter to English class as study material.
My teacher red thru it for about 5 minutes and then said "This guy is really full of it....."
In later years this newly learned phrase came handy on occasion......

Postby Guest » July 22nd, 2007, 12:08 pm

Originally posted by Harvey Rosenthal:
[b]For John LeBlanc

Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely call Ken Simmons if he doesn't respond to my friendly message. [/b]
Harvey,

Would be interested in how you get on with that! Ken resurfaced here on the Genii forum in October last year selling some Nugget cards, I made a sarcastic comment that maybe he should give the proceeds to his subscribers, he still owes me half a subscription, luckily I did get some issues!

I then got a personal e-mail saying that "most ONYX subscribers ended up getting copies of others books I wrote and/or rec. refunds of issues due." And he gave some bull excuse about a database crash.

I then wrote back to say I didn't believe him and pointed him to the archives here, and messages on TSD, and told him he could of contacted us that way, but made no effort to. He then said that I couldn't assume others were not refunded as I didn't know who he had refunded.

I then said he should post up on Genii and The Magic Cafe etc to extend this refund to everyone else, which I see he hasn't done.

He promised to send me a check for my missing money, at which point I said I would post a retraction on here, well guess what 9 months on, and no retraction from me and certainly no refund! This man is a thief and a liar, and I have given up on getting my money back, I'm just sad that in our small community this kind of thing has to happen.

I see Channel One is almost ready to appear, but with no information for subscribers who have been watiting quite long enough... also what about Penumbra? Will we ever see another issue of that, now Mr Goodwin has taken on the Castle Library? Gene Taylor seems to be making excellent time with Antinomy which shows it is possible to deliver small run journals on time, every time, and Richard manages it month on month with Genii, so what is it with these people?

Rant over!

Rich.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 22nd, 2007, 12:20 pm

The problem is always that they have a day job.

Genii IS my day job. When I published smaller magazines like Richard's Almanac and Looking Glass, they were always done in a hurry and on borrowed time because my day job was writing books.

Harry Lorayne managed to get Apocalypse out on time every month for 20 years. I have no idea how the hell he did it.

Terry

Postby Terry » July 23rd, 2007, 1:57 pm

Harry Lorayne managed to get Apocalypse out on time every month for 20 years. I have no idea how the hell he did it.
Excessive amounts of caffeine? :cool:

Postby Guest » July 23rd, 2007, 3:00 pm

Richard - I renewed my interest in magic over the last few years and have noticed that the same problems with late and disappearing publications continue today as back in the '70's, etc...

I must echo previous comments on the Forum and say Thank You for setting the standard for quality and punctuality with Genii.

Postby Guest » July 23rd, 2007, 5:25 pm

The problem is always that they have a day job.
To that, I would say, if it's going to be a problem then don't do it.

Postby Guest » October 7th, 2007, 9:19 am

Yesterday, issue #15 of Channel One arrived at my door. It's dubbed The Better Late Than Never Christmas Spectacular. Contributers include Paul Alberstat, Raymond Smullyan, Jack Carpenter, Dave Nelson, Justin Hanes and Bill Duncan.

Included with the issue is a DVD called Brain Candy, which features the magic performances and shenanigans of Scott Franz and Geoff Williams.

If you are a subscriber and haven't received the magazine yet, contact Tony and scream at him.

Tom

Return to “Buzz”