"World Magic Awards" - Fox-TV ???

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.

"World Magic Awards" - Fox-TV ???

Postby Guest » November 29th, 2007, 11:58 am

This was originally scheduled to air tonight (Nov. 29) on Fox-TV...but I see no listing/mention about it.

It was taped on Oct. 13th in Santa Monica, Ca.

--Anyone have a tv-airing update?

Re: "World Magic Awards" - Fox-TV ???

Postby Guest » November 29th, 2007, 1:27 pm

Just read in this month's Magic Magazine that it is scheduled for December 14th.

Postby Guest » November 29th, 2007, 1:40 pm

Thank you!

Postby Guest » November 30th, 2007, 9:47 pm

Is this an actual "world" event?

You know, how we happen to have a "World" Series? :p

Who happens to be the main organizers of this event? Out of curiosity...

Postby Guest » December 1st, 2007, 11:16 am

Its a made-for-TV show

Postby Guest » December 4th, 2007, 3:40 am

sure was a real event.. I attended it Oct.
Sort of felt like the academy awards with a red carpet for a few celebs. Hosted by Sir Roger Moore, Niel Patrick Harris, few others..

was a nice experience..

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » December 4th, 2007, 4:09 am

Originally posted by curtisk:

We have the World Series, because the rest of the world comes here to play to know that they finally made it. :p
Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

Postby Guest » December 4th, 2007, 12:05 pm

"Its a made-for-TV show" in the sense that the purpose of the show is purely for broadcast - and that the awards are secondary in terms of making for good TV

Mark Paulson

Postby Mark Paulson » December 5th, 2007, 9:23 pm

Originally posted by curtisk:

If there are any magicians or acts from countries other than the USA, then it could be considered a "world event." Sir Roger Moore helps to solidify the term. Also, if it is broadcast in other countries (and Canada does count as a foreign country), it should be considered as a world event.

-Max P

Postby Guest » December 10th, 2007, 3:26 pm

It's scheduled on the U.S. East Coast this Friday, Dec. 14.
8-10 pm - WWOR , also known as MY 9.

Postby Guest » December 10th, 2007, 3:27 pm

Postby Guest » December 11th, 2007, 7:51 pm

I have not seen it listed on the Sacramento fox station

Richard Perrin

Postby Richard Perrin » December 11th, 2007, 11:07 pm

Which broadcast will they show on TV? Nationwide? I WANT to watch!

Postby Guest » December 12th, 2007, 7:10 am

Arthur posted a myspace bulletin of the
stations that are going to broadcast it.

Here's the link:
http://worldmagicawards.com/stations.html

Postby Guest » December 12th, 2007, 8:08 am

Would someone be able to record it on DVD for me ?

Will happily pay for your time & postage ? Pls email me mitch@intekom.co.za

Thanks

Postby Guest » December 12th, 2007, 9:15 am

Thanks for the my space listing, I found the Sacramento station.

Postby Guest » December 14th, 2007, 6:15 pm

It wasn't on a main stream station where everyone could watch. On our cable system you had to have the digital upgrade, not just regular cable.

Postby Guest » December 14th, 2007, 8:23 pm

They moved the airing back to 11 pm in my town because of the local NBA team playing on TV at 8 pm.

I'm watching it right now and am wishing that the camera shots weren't so varied. Seems like you miss some of the "magic" of the moves when you are going from angle to angle.

Terry

Postby Guest » December 15th, 2007, 4:48 am

From a magician's point of view, the director wasn't doing a fantastic job. You really did miss some key moments during the magic performances as they would cut to a wide shot of an audience reaction shot. Otherwise, it was a decent show. Enjoyed watching.

Steve

Postby Guest » December 15th, 2007, 5:16 am

I enjoyed the show except for the Director's terrible camera changes. The audience closeup reaction shots were ok but the long and angled shots of the performers on stage were worthless.

Little bit of confusion - Although all 3 of the performers were excellent, why 3 awards for best cabaret?

Also how can Pamela Anderson get an award for best assistant when his regular assistant does 10 times the work and is 100 times a better performer? Apparently it must be her "name" or physical attributes.

Or as someone said earlier - was it just a made for TV show?

Anyway I think the show probably helped the Magic image - too bad it wasn't on one of the major networks getting a much wider coverage.

Looking forward to the next one....

Dave

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 15th, 2007, 6:42 am

Hey, at least it got made! Do you see any other classical magic shows on TV right now? Don't think so.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » December 15th, 2007, 8:09 am

sure if got made, but it was not done well. The editing stunk and did not work. Maybe the reason the is not more classic magic on television is because Directors and editors do not now how to film a magic performance.

Randwill

Postby Randwill » December 15th, 2007, 8:29 am

A lot of wasted time on the show. An announcer introduces Roger Moore who jabbers. Moore introduces a "presenter" who jabbers. Finally the magician comes on and, ... oopps! sorry, time for a commercial.

Postby Guest » December 15th, 2007, 8:44 am

If you haven't read it yet, The Hans Klok, Pam Anderson show is leaving Las Vegas. She was just a decoration but more importantly, his act just didn't sell.

Frank Dudgeon
Favorite Magician: Ricky Jay

Postby Frank Dudgeon » December 15th, 2007, 8:46 am

I agree that the editing of routines and frequent camera changes were annoying, but all in all I thought it was enjoyable. I thought, among others, Mac King came across very well. The program did show a variety of styles and approaches. Good to see two hours of magic on any network, as Richard said in a "classical" mode.

Frank Dudgeon

Rick Ruhl

Postby Rick Ruhl » December 15th, 2007, 9:01 am

and next Wednesday they have the 'World MUSIC awards'.

Richard, let's do a TV show with the 'Genii Magic awards', you can host it and we can all do our Criss Angel impressions LOL

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » December 15th, 2007, 9:13 am

Originally posted by omk:

Also how can Pamela Anderson get an award for best assistant when his regular assistant does 10 times the work and is 100 times a better performer? Apparently it must be her "name" or physical attributes.

Dave
I think its because she has hepititus. SHe was hoping the Hans could make it disappear?
http://archives.cnn.com/2002/SHOWBIZ/TV ... index.html

Mark Paulson

Postby Mark Paulson » December 15th, 2007, 10:24 am

For what it's worth, my wife and I both enjoyed the show. It was refreshing to see so much magic on television without a masked magician exposing :p everything.

Postby Guest » December 15th, 2007, 12:39 pm

Yes, the directing and editing problems robbed both magi and lay folk of a certain amount of entertainment/astonishment value. But seeing good approximations of the acts of Mac King, Arthur Trace and Tony Chapek made it worth my time.

For the lay folk that watched, I trust that it helped them cleanse their palates of the pasty aftertaste of Phenomenon.

And hopefully, it served its purpose by generating bags of money for Feed the Children.

Tom

Philemon

Postby Philemon » December 15th, 2007, 4:16 pm

I was disappointed to see that many of the really creative acts were edited down to almost nothing.

Randwill

Postby Randwill » December 15th, 2007, 8:11 pm

Yeah, I didn't put a stopwatch on it, but I'll bet if you added up all the time wasted just promo-ing that stupid bus escape and promo-ing that stupid ice escape and added that to the time of the highlight footage from the Klok show (like he didn't get enough time devoted to his actual performance), all that would add up to more screen time than Luna Shimada and the close-up winner were given for their performances.

And yeah, what about that camera work? That one distant camera must have been in Pasadena.

Postby Guest » December 15th, 2007, 9:32 pm

A VERY disappointing two hours overall, with some really good magic intertwined with mediocrity.

It was nice to see Kevin James and Mac King doing their brilliant work, but Ive seen both acts more than once. Still Im happy to have them in the TiVO. At least I wont have to sit through the crap just to see a few minutes of good magic.

Pam Anderson hanging limp from a levi platform made my wife wonder what the hell was wrong with the guy who staged the act, while I was impressed at how many different versions of Metamorphasis Hans had Sad really.

Im sad to say that I got no sense of Andrew Goldenhersh's act, or his talent. A brief moment as he produced a coin in s-l-o-w m-o-t-i-o-n showed promise, and then there was a bunny and he was gone. If the show was created to promote these acts, then he really got the short end of the stick.

The high point for me was Tony Chapek doing one of my all time favorite type acts in an updated and entertaining way.

Arthur Trace did a fine turn of classic Cardini style manipulations, in a form that honored rather than aped the great master. Very artistic and impressive.

Postby Guest » December 18th, 2007, 10:25 am

2 comments:
i am slightly fascinated about FOX's love/hate relationship with magic. last time i tuned in they were running the masked magician they also cater to the high-imagination audience with a wide peppering of supernatural topic shows. didn't they also do that america's got talent show too? let's see what they do next...

also - i didn't care for pam as a magician's assistant. no credibility. i never saw the show but I thought it was a strange fit when i saw the billboards. she would be credible as some fantasy magician's assistant in a great popcorn flick.

Postby Guest » December 18th, 2007, 10:44 am

My dad and I watched the show together.
Mom came in later to see Gay's segment
for the Blackstone Award.

Here's what our thoughts were:

1. Too much magic for a general audience

2. A lot of magic for lovers of magic.

3. Good magic but overall not entertaining

4. Mac King was the funniest (as always)

5. I was happy to see Arthur's improved act
since I haven't seen it since we worked together
5 years ago. It was good but the music was muszak
and that didn't help.

6. I am surprised Pam Anderson's boobs didn't fall out.

7. Rick Thomas looks like he's out of shape all of a sudden.

8. Gay looks differentm but It was nice seeing movies of Uncle Harry and Blackstone, Sr.

9. I didn't get Merlini or the Veitnese girl stunts.

10. Hans Klock got nice hair!

:whack:

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » December 18th, 2007, 12:42 pm

Dustins thoughts on Mai-Lings thoughts:

I understand your point, but it was a magic Awards show. However, a kindred novelty act may have been a welcome break (a juggler or a ventriloquist).

I think even lovers of magic were disappointed by the quality of some of the magic. And then there was not enough from, for example, Andrew Goldenhersh. (Why not a nice close-up segment with jumbo screens for the theater audience?)

I concur.

Thank God for Mac King!

since I haven't seen it since we worked together
5 years ago. It was good but the music was muszak
and that didn't help.

I know that was not Arthurs normal music, but Im not sure hes changed it or if there was an issue with rights and whether or not he could use his regular music on TV. Note that he performed an abbreviated version of the act. Arthur Trace is among magics very best right now and he proved it. Thank God for Arthur Trace!

Ive seen em. Youve seen two, youve seen em both. (Thanks Harry.)

I noticed that too; a little paunchy around the middle. I guess thats what happens when you are no longer doing two a day!

8. Gay looks different but it was nice seeing movies of Uncle Harry and Blackstone, Sr.

I always enjoy seeing clips of the Blackstones

You are not alone. For both segments, what came to mind was, What the #*%@? When the Asian gal put on her jumpsuit, my son left the room saying, Theres no reason to watch her anymore.

But no wind machine this time! Whats up with that?

Postby Guest » December 18th, 2007, 1:26 pm

Originally posted by Dustin Stinett:
Ive seen em. Youve seen two, youve seen em both. (Thanks Harry.)
Then there's Ron White's perspective: "You've seen two, you pretty much want to see the rest of them."

Postby Guest » December 18th, 2007, 1:54 pm

The above comments remind me of the scene in "A League of Their Own" when Madonna offers to let her bosoms fly out of her uniform, to spice up the game and get some publicity. Rosie O'Donnell retorts (paraphrase) "Do you honestly believe there's anybody left who hasn't seen your bosoms?"
I.e., WE GET IT Pam, you have big fake boobs, sheesh. Give 'em (and us) a rest.

Compared to the woman Mac King had on stage for his goldfish fishing, Pam Anderson looks like an over-inflated pneumatic painted bimbo. --Oh wait, comparing her with ANY actual woman does that...

Postby Guest » December 18th, 2007, 2:44 pm

I'm feeling a little outside of the norm here, but I actually enjoyed it.
Well, most of it.
I didn't care for the stunts, and I really don't know why they made the guy do close up in such a not close up way.
I'd never seen either Luna Shimada or Hans Klok perform, so that was a bit of a treat. I always enjoy Mac King. I thought the young lady who won the teen award was surprisingly polished.
Yes, it wasn't perfect, but I thought the good outweighed the bad.

Gord

Postby Guest » December 18th, 2007, 7:10 pm

I enjoyed most of the show - in spite of the camera work, escapes, and close-up. The show can only boost magic.

My thoughts on Mai-Ling's thoughts:

Since the people who would tune in to watch this show would most likely be interested in magic, I felt the amount of magic was OK. Lose the escape portions and associated hype and things would be about right.

Not enought thought was given to how to televise this much magic. Rick Thomas is great in person; but this opening sequence did not convey how entertaining he is.

Probably due to the chopping of the acts to fit into the alloted time. Roger Moore, though well known, is not a dynamic nor entertaining MC. He was not able to hold the show together. He merely read from cue cards.

Next time at Long John Silver's, we will all probably opt for the chicken rather than the fish.

I hadn't seen him before - so it was a good intoduction to his work.

Duct tape!

I watched Rick Thomas slowly outgrow his red and black leather jacket over the past years (it's not all of a sudden). Yep, putting on a few pounds even since I saw him last at The Orleans.

I always enjoy seeing clips of the Blackstones.

Yes, I agree. Anyone got video of Sr.'s levitation?

I guess someone thought an escape category was needed.

I have never seen him perform without the blowing hair. Without the annoying fans, I noticed that his movements resemble those of an ice skater. Interesting.

Overall, I thought the show will help magic and I enjoyed most of it. It was worth recording.

Jim

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » December 18th, 2007, 7:16 pm

I watched it off and on (there was a Laker game t same time) and thought it was Ok except for the MC's and taped intros from p&t and Lance. Why bother... should have had Jason Alexander or Harry Anderson host it.
Stay tooned.

Return to “Buzz”