Uri Geller/Criss Angel Phenomenon to debut on Oct.24

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Pete Biro

Re: Uri Geller/Criss Angel Phenomenon to debut on Oct.24

Postby Pete Biro » October 25th, 2007, 7:55 am

Glad I forgot to watch it.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » October 25th, 2007, 7:57 am

Angel was careful to qualify his remark by saying that he had the most "Prime Time" hours of any Magician. I still suspect that Paul Daniels would have more.

T. Baxter

Postby Guest » October 25th, 2007, 8:02 am

I voted 4 times for Ross, the audience assistant for Jim Karol, who appears frequently on Jay Leno.

I'm not a big fan of mentalism but I hope for the competitors sake, the show gets better.

I think both "judges" came across as pompous. Uri Geller and the next Uri Geller.

just my .02

Adrian

Postby Guest » October 25th, 2007, 9:58 am

To be fair he qualified it as in the US...which would explain Paul Daniels (still a cocky look at me move though)

Randwill

Postby Randwill » October 25th, 2007, 10:52 am

It's too bad we can't just have a network program featuring up and coming talent in magic/mentalism without all the silly, time-wasting trappings of a competition. I realize that this was probably pitched and sold as an "American Idol", but with magicians and that's why it's on, but, still, it's too bad.

Postby Guest » October 25th, 2007, 12:10 pm

Originally posted by entity:
Angel was careful to qualify his remark by saying that he had the most "Prime Time" hours of any Magician. I still suspect that Paul Daniels would have more.

T. Baxter
He actually said American Prime Time.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 25th, 2007, 12:24 pm

He's started qualifying his remarks now because Mark Wilson had way more TV time than he did and that has been brought up repeatedly. His goal, of course, is to (without directly saying so), claim that he's had more TV time than David Copperfield.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Bob Gerdes

Postby Bob Gerdes » October 25th, 2007, 12:41 pm

Isn't how many people actually watched the shows more important than how many hours a magician has been on TV?

Postby Guest » October 25th, 2007, 12:55 pm

Originally posted by Bob Gerdes:
Isn't how many people actually watched the shows more important than how many hours a magician has been on TV?
Actually, isn't it not really that important at all?

:)

Postby Guest » October 25th, 2007, 1:12 pm

I just couldn't believe how boring it all was. There were two acts where the audience was told to keep quiet, so any joke they told went over like a lead brick.
And why was Angel so harsh? He had very critical things to say about each act, sometimes way too critical, which makes me think he wasn't there to judge as much as to make himself look better.

Best quote of the night came from Angel himself: "No one is more critical of my act then myself."
Apparently the man has never read the Genii forum.

Gord

Postby Guest » October 25th, 2007, 3:57 pm

Regardless of how many hours Criss is on TV, David Copperfield was on NETWORK television, a far cry from cable.

David used his TV time intelligently to establish and then sell his national touring show. Criss has a cable TV show that is produced quickly. Criss' product is a far cry from what David produced on a yearly basis.

Mere time in front of a camera does not equate to quality. This almost sounds like a "mine's bigger than your's" argument.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » October 25th, 2007, 4:03 pm

If the next show is as bad as this one was, I think Angel might be subtracting the time he spent as a judge from his claims.

Postby Guest » October 25th, 2007, 4:47 pm

I honestly think Gerry made watching the show worth my time yesterday. I do not remember the last time I've ever felt so embarrased for someone. It's a feeling I have rarely encountered in my life but the emotion was a little entertaining in itself.

I think that performance by Gerry was symbolizing that times have changed and the days of Tony Corinda and Fogel are somewhat "The Old Testament," for mentalists for lack of a better analogy. Times change, so we must adapt with it if we're even to survive. However, I still believe the man has potential to put on a better performance next time.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 25th, 2007, 8:04 pm

It came in third in the ratings, higher only than some turd on FOX.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » October 25th, 2007, 9:43 pm

I wonder whose material he will be doing.

oops, did I type that out loud?

Postby Guest » October 25th, 2007, 9:54 pm

I watched with a layperson (actually, that description halfway describes me as well)

He decided that the three celebrity volunteers were simply "in" on all the routines.

I myself don't know all the secrets but it seems conceivable to me that every effect the four guys
did could have been done without any "inside help" from stooges.

I wonder if a large portion of viewers reached the same conclusion, incorrect or not, as he did.

He pointed out that Gerry accidentally said the digit 1 when he should have instead said X which seemed like a huge flash at the time.
(but it was inconsequential.)

Is it just my imagination or did 8 out of the ten contestants all have on black jackets with either blue or purple dress shirts?

Is that the mentalist's dress code?

The ensemble looked like a young girl and her intimidating bodyguard surrounded by eight
strip club managers.

Mike Super, a top young magician on the current college circuit, was added at the last minute. He replaced Jason Scott who suddenly is no longer a contestant for reasons unknown.

I don't know if the two guys who end up getting voted off will (overall) end regretting the appearance or not but its dollars to donuts that they will use the footage and advertise that they were once on network television with Criss Angel. Also, both will get to perform a little more next week so they get to add even more to their reels.

On the subject of Jim Karol's foxtrap, a little over a year ago he was showing Johnny Knoxville and Bam Margera the routine (Karol was featured in the Jackass sequel)

Although Jim Karol isn't a sadist, he agreed to let them try it out for themselves after giving them all his safety tips. Bam and Johnny both regretted their courage.

Karol has actually been doing 60 minute shows for years--although he mixes in more then just mentalism. Some are on the college circuit and some are even for high-brow gigs like the TED conference.

Just my two cents, but I believe the voting public will faction out into two groups, one who wants their mentalist to be scary and dangerous and the other who will vote for the performer's personality and the overall flow of entertainment they provide.

Postby Guest » October 25th, 2007, 11:09 pm

L..A..M..E..

Postby Guest » October 25th, 2007, 11:34 pm

How so?

Postby Guest » October 26th, 2007, 1:13 am

In my opinion, too many mentalists and/or magicians have the same old charm and commercial type of style. Most performers see this as the standard or the bar. The way they strut, walk and talk during a performance is all the same. Orginality is no longer being emphasized by the magic community anymore. Instead, effects are sold, and then copied by the purchaser w/out any thought about how it truly fits in with their persona and it continues on like a ripple effect. Not to say that it isn't entartaining but it's not as fun to witness as someone who truly expresses themself.

When we think of someone we admire, their qualities are always very distinct from everyone else. They're truly one of a kind and that's why they're so popular and entertaining.

Hopefully, somone in the next show will be daring enough to truly express themself.

Postby Guest » October 26th, 2007, 1:20 am

My question with Phenomenon is: Does anyone care?

You must make your audience care if you want to be effective and entertaining. It's theatre 101!

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 26th, 2007, 8:38 am

For Criss Angel, this is turning out well at the moment--at least among the magic community. No one ever posts any comments about Mindfreak on this board anymore because either no one watches it or seems to care.

But this thread is quite long, and still growing, and I bet dollars to doughnuts that most of us will be watching the second show next week as well, even if we thought the first show sucked, just to see if it gets better or if any of the other six contestants are better.

The whole structure of the show is odd because it's heavily promoting Uri and Criss, but they are so peripheral to its structure that I doubt either one of them were onscreen for more than five minutes (excluding Uri's trick) in the hour.

As a non mentalist (and a virtual laymen in terms of mentalism's methods) I thought McCambridge's trick was the best and most interesting. Sticking your hand in a fox trap and announcing a name was just bizarre. The nail gun thing was so badly done that I don't care. The PK touch was interesting, but "off" in some way.

I think the producers made a poor choice in selecting those four performers to be up first because there's no clear choice to root for at the end of the first show, and the whole style of the show, asking the audience to remain quiet, is frankly idiotic.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 26th, 2007, 10:43 am

A follow-up: The Washington Post today reported that Phenonenon had 9 million viewers and was considered a disappointing lead-in for The Bionic Woman, which scored its lowest ratings ever.

Phenomenon's premier episode also had the lowest ratings of any new series premier.

My point in saying that Criss Angel can't be entirely unhappy is that 9 million is about 7 1/2 to 8 million more than watch Mindfreak each week, so he's greatly enlarging his visibility even if the show turns out to be a stinker.

Postby Guest » October 26th, 2007, 10:53 am

Richard, I would understand if the spectators had to be quiet during the actual performance so that way everyone would be able to better comprehend the effect, but if you mean that the audience has to be quiet after the effect (without any applause), then that truly is abusrd. In my opinion, mentalism alone is a very calm and subtle form of magic, now everyone is only allowed to think about the effect after? Too much mentalism in my opinion. I'm willing to bet 90% of the audience will go home with a migrain headache.

Postby Guest » October 26th, 2007, 12:16 pm

Actually I don't understand why anyone had to be silent during the first act at all.
There was nothing dangerous going on, and the performer told several jokes and made that "isn't the joke funny" face after each one.
The silence took away from the act and did not add to the tension at all.
It made little sense.

Gord

Postby Guest » October 26th, 2007, 3:36 pm

Originally posted by AnthonyR:
In my opinion, too many mentalists and/or magicians have the same old charm and commercial type of style. Most performers see this as the standard or the bar. The way they strut, walk and talk during a performance is all the same. Orginality is no longer being emphasized by the magic community anymore. Instead, effects are sold, and then copied by the purchaser w/out any thought about how it truly fits in with their persona and it continues on like a ripple effect. Not to say that it isn't entartaining but it's not as fun to witness as someone who truly expresses themself.

When we think of someone we admire, their qualities are always very distinct from everyone else. They're truly one of a kind and that's why they're so popular and entertaining.

Hopefully, somone in the next show will be daring enough to truly express themself.
Charm is what's it's about. No one on the first show had any. In reality, not nearly enough magicians or mentalists have charm or style. Amateurs tend to focus on method and ignore presentation, timing, drama, etc.

You seem to be equating "new" with "good." That isn't remotely true. It takes an enormous amount of time to make something "new" into something that is "good" and entertaining. Sometimes it takes years.

Self-expression? Go to any local art show and you'll find that the world is filled with artists who are "expressing themselves." Most of them produce crap because they have nothing of importance to say..or nothing they say resonates with the viewer. Go to an open mike night at a local comedy club and you'll see a parade of people who have no clue what they're doing, how to connect with an audience, let alone how to tell a joke.

The only performer who had a shred of professionalism on that show was Gerry, someone whose performing style and persona I don't like at all...and yet he was the only one who looked like he knew what he was doing, even though what he did belonged in the middle or at the end of a mentalism routine.

The major problem of the show is that it did not allow any of the performers to take the necessary time to establish their personality and create rapport with the audience. The producers were trying to shoehorn them into a slot, like a quick variety act. It doesn't work that way with mentalism.

Postby Guest » October 26th, 2007, 3:43 pm

David
I could not agree more.

Gord

Postby Guest » October 26th, 2007, 4:23 pm

Here's my take on it.

Ehud Segev: PK Touches. I thought this was the best routine of the 4 contestants. Possibly the most unexplainable effect for the audience.

Jim Karol: His claim of dealing with pain had nothing to do with this bear trap. If the small trap could break a finger bone as he claimed, the bear trap should do the same I suspect. Nothing was broken, hence not much pain. This wasn't a demonstration of dealing with pain - only a demo of a weak trap. Stage persona too close to Amazing Jonathan for my liking.

Eran Raven: The strength of a "roulette" routine doesn't come from using different "weapons" that can be differentiated by looking at them or by determining their weight. Am I misssing something here?

Gerry McCambridge: As Uri indicated, a long routine where the prediction was too predictable. Also seemed to suffer from the "too perfect" theory. He got a lot of things correct. I feel that getting all those numbers right can fly in a dollar bill serial number divination (mind reading), but as far as a prediction goes, just seemed like too much too right. Not sure how else to explain my feelings after it was over. Maybe it needed to be at the end of a show as David Alexander mentioned.

Criss Angel: In case we wondered how good he was, thanks to him, we know now. But hey, his fans eat it up!

Uri Geller: Bad experiment, but I thought he came away as the real winner!

I plan to watch at least one more week.

Terry

Postby Guest » October 26th, 2007, 8:17 pm

Originally posted by David Alexander:
Originally posted by AnthonyR:
[b] In my opinion, too many mentalists and/or magicians have the same old charm and commercial type of style. Most performers see this as the standard or the bar. The way they strut, walk and talk during a performance is all the same. Orginality is no longer being emphasized by the magic community anymore. Instead, effects are sold, and then copied by the purchaser w/out any thought about how it truly fits in with their persona and it continues on like a ripple effect. Not to say that it isn't entartaining but it's not as fun to witness as someone who truly expresses themself.

Charm is what's it's about. No one on the first show had any. In reality, not nearly enough magicians or mentalists have charm or style. Amateurs tend to focus on method and ignore presentation, timing, drama, etc.

You seem to be equating "new" with "good." That isn't remotely true. It takes an enormous amount of time to make something "new" into something that is "good" and entertaining. Sometimes it takes years.

Self-expression? Go to any local art show and you'll find that the world is filled with artists who are "expressing themselves." Most of them produce crap because they have nothing of importance to say..or nothing they say resonates with the viewer. Go to an open mike night at a local comedy club and you'll see a parade of people who have no clue what they're doing, how to connect with an audience, let alone how to tell a joke.

The only performer who had a shred of professionalism on that show was Gerry, someone whose performing style and persona I don't like at all...and yet he was the only one who looked like he knew what he was doing, even though what he did belonged in the middle or at the end of a mentalism routine.

The major problem of the show is that it did not allow any of the performers to take the necessary time to establish their personality and create rapport with the audience. The producers were trying to shoehorn them into a slot, like a quick variety act. It doesn't work that way with mentalism. [/b]
David, I'm not arguing that performers should not be professional, have charm, presentation, timing, drama and etc. Of course this is part of the foundation that makes all people regardless of profession, a success. I am simply arguing that the true amateur lacks creativity to express themselves through magic. This is one of the reasons the audience and viewers were so turned off during the show is because they all had the same smile, they dressed the same and talked the same etc. Professionalism, presentation and creativity should go hand in hand. But most so called artists these days perform as if they are something that they're not because they're all copying or emulating a person or an idea.

Take for example, Uri Gellar and Eugene Burger. They are always professional with a captivating presentation but the reason they appeal to so many is because they have CREATED their own styles of performing. They step out of the box! They take risk to be themselves! That's why they are distinct from everyone else!

Now, just because someone works towards self expression in the art of magic does not necessarily guaruntee success. However, it is a more likely predictor of success than an amateur copy cat magician who wears the same old black suit, same 35 cent smile etc. as every other amateur. Have you ever seen American idol? They're looking for something different than before, someone fresh... right? As a matter of fact, the people who get eliminated from the show are all wannabe's.

Remember David, people look up to, and are captivated by leaders, not followers.

Postby Guest » October 26th, 2007, 8:40 pm

When the bear trap guy started I thought he was doing the Wayne Dobson ventriloquism thing with the helper for the first minute or so.
I met "The Psychic Madman" twice when he was doing the college seen in PA. This was '93-'95. The first one was a "casino night" where he did some really simplistic poker demo and the Brainwave Deck over and over, with unopened decks. He must have had like 30 decks. The second time was a stage type show, and to be honest I can't remember a thing about it, except that he sold some book, which I don't have, and told us about some UFO society he was a part of...

Anyway, I was disappointed. Don't know why, there are really only a few great mentalists.

And my wife was not impressed.

The one thing that bothered me was the fact that it seemed that Mr. Angel always seemed to have to "up-stage" the performers from his seat.

"I am good friends with Benacheck, who created the PK touch effect" and "...I used a real gun" (when discussing the roulette) Sorry if the quotes are not perfect, but I think you get the point.

Oh, and he said he performed like 900 effects each week for his show. Come on now, there are 168 hours in a week, that would be 5 effects an hour with no sleep. How does he have time to fit in the stylist and Britney?

Anyway, no non-magician (other than my wife) I know even knew it was going to be on, and didn't care when I told them. It is disappointing, I was looking forward to the show. At least I missed it and watched it on-line, so it was shorter than sitting through all the commercials.

Postby Guest » October 26th, 2007, 8:43 pm

Originally posted by Gord Gardiner:
Actually I don't understand why anyone had to be silent during the first act at all.
There was nothing dangerous going on, and the performer told several jokes and made that "isn't the joke funny" face after each one.
The silence took away from the act and did not add to the tension at all.
It made little sense.

Gord
Maybe if people talked, she couldn't hear her queues in the microphone?

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » October 26th, 2007, 9:58 pm

Part of Uri and Criss' comments seem to be about how none of the performers really seem like a "man of mystery," although they're not saying that specifically.

I think it's funny how Uri sticks to the party line and Criss regards it all as a magic trick. You think they'd have worked that out ahead of time. It's also obvious from Criss' comments that he was put into the role of the "tough judge" because these shows always have one tough (or even mean) judge to contrast with the others.

The biggest problem with the first four is that, if you were casting a mindreader for a TV show or movie, you wouldn't pick any of them. Uri or Derren Brown would be closer, and I suspect that what people really want to see in that role is someone like Eisenheim in "The Illusionist."

McCambridge's routine, while interesting, also shows up a fault with that kind of routine...there is a LOT of stage management going on, just to get to the end. Get 7 people up, give them envelopes, toss out three frisbees to pick three more, pick a phone book, pick a page, pick a column...etc etc etc. The role of the "man of mystery" in that type of routine ends up more as a traffic cop than anything else.

Glenn Farrington

Postby Glenn Farrington » October 26th, 2007, 10:00 pm

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
I bet dollars to doughnuts that most of us will be watching the second show next week as well, even if we thought the first show sucked, just to see if it gets better or if any of the other six contestants are better.
You got my address. I expect at least two singles and I like chocolate frosted.
Comedy's Easy...Dying Sucks.

Postby Guest » October 27th, 2007, 6:53 am

I would add that the entire thing just seemed thrown together, and even the little stage announcer/mc guy seemed to be clueless. After Criss and Uri both gave bad reviews for Gerry, he says, "Thats one thumbs up, one thumbs down." My wife was like, "NO, both judges didn't like him."

And how bad was Uri's mental projection effect. He barely even picked the correct one. 28% picked the star, 27% had the circle. Hell, you would think they would at least skew those numbers so the audience seemed more impressed. Talk about helping your judge have almost no credibility in the eyes of the viewers.

Postby Guest » October 27th, 2007, 6:57 am

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
I bet dollars to doughnuts that most of us will be watching the second show next week as well, even if we thought the first show sucked, just to see if it gets better or if any of the other six contestants are better.
Good or bad, I will watch it. I enjoy magic so I will watch it to watch performances. You can learn something from the bad and the good.

What I don't really understand is how long this thing is. Does everyone only get one performance? Is there elimination? They did 4 now there are 6 more, will we see all 6 and then the winner is picked? If that is the case I can't even understand why they wasted their time. (NBC I mean)

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 27th, 2007, 8:02 am

On the next show, I think you'll see the next 6 and then two from the ten will be eliminated, leaving 8. Or maybe not.

Randwill

Postby Randwill » October 27th, 2007, 8:39 am

Originally posted by Jeff Haas:
McCambridge's routine, while interesting, also shows up a fault with that kind of routine...there is a LOT of stage management going on, just to get to the end. Get 7 people up, give them envelopes, toss out three frisbees to pick three more, pick a phone book, pick a page, pick a column...etc etc etc. The role of the "man of mystery" in that type of routine ends up more as a traffic cop than anything else.
And the 7 people on-stage was pointless. Why not just one person (or an easel) holding the prediction on one card? Audience participation is a good thing but only if the people actually participate.

Rick Ruhl

Postby Rick Ruhl » October 27th, 2007, 9:23 am

Mentalism seems to be one part of the art that doesn't come across well on TV in a short time. While the math tricks work (i.e Copperfield), it takes time for a mentalist to get a rappor with the viewers.

3-5 minutes isn't long enough to get that rapport.

It took Kreskin years to make his rappor.

Postby Guest » October 27th, 2007, 11:39 am

I'm interested to hear if others believe there is any one category of "phenomena" that would be the strongest to perform on this show, and if so, why?

1) Telepathy (mindreading) - Karol
2) Clairvoyance (receiving information that would not come from reading another's mind) - none
3) Precognition (prediction or knowledge of future events) -McCambridge
4) Psychokinesis (mind over matter)- Segev
5) Other - Raven, Karol

By "other" I mean one such as the "Nail Gun" presentation. It appears to me that this presentation is not covered by these 4 categories, because much was made of the voice calling out the numbers, as if this was giving clues. If it hadn't been for the focus on the voice, I'd put it under telepathy. Karol's was a mixture of pain control (other) and mindreading.

Terry

Postby Guest » October 27th, 2007, 12:24 pm

Trying to find the category of effect that will "win" is far less important than having a likeable or interesting personality coupled with an entertaining presentation.

When that happens, the effect is far less important.

Given the format of the show, no performer will have the opportunity to establish a personality, audience rapport, and then deliver the goods. The big names of mentalism were smart to pass on this excercise in futility.

I cannot imagine any of the top names in mentalism allowing Criss Angel (let alone Uri Geller) to pass judgement on them on national TV. What nonsense.

Postby Guest » October 27th, 2007, 1:21 pm

Originally posted by Terry Holley:
I'm interested to hear if others believe there is any one category of "phenomena" that would be the strongest to perform on this show, and if so, why?

1) Telepathy (mindreading) - Karol
2) Clairvoyance (receiving information that would not come from reading another's mind) - none
3) Precognition (prediction or knowledge of future events) -McCambridge
4) Psychokinesis (mind over matter)- Segev
5) Other - Raven, Karol

By "other" I mean one such as the "Nail Gun" presentation. It appears to me that this presentation is not covered by these 4 categories, because much was made of the voice calling out the numbers, as if this was giving clues. If it hadn't been for the focus on the voice, I'd put it under telepathy. Karol's was a mixture of pain control (other) and mindreading.

Terry
Hey Terry, good question. I think Psychokenisis would appeal to the audience more strongly just because it is a more visual phenomenon. If you noticed in the last show, it felt like everyone was saying "I bet the mentalist told him/ her to do or say that before the show." So in my opinion, any form of mind reading, or thought projection loses some credibility because there is always suspicion of using stooges. Also, many people believe seeing is believing which I also think justifies an idea or concept more strongly.

Return to “Buzz”