Vernon bio?

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Countelmsley

Vernon bio?

Postby Countelmsley » December 1st, 2001, 10:02 pm

Hey all! Does anyone have any news on a Vernon biography allegedly written by David Ben? I just can't seem to get enough of him; thank god for the great december issue!
http://www.geocities.com/larrybarnowsky/kotr1.htm
www.geocities.com/larrybarnowsky

Philippe Noël

Re: Vernon bio?

Postby Philippe Noël » December 2nd, 2001, 4:17 am

If you look for a Vernon biografy, get The Vernon Chronicles Volume 4, it is just what you are looking for.

Philippe Nol

Terry

Postby Terry » December 2nd, 2001, 4:43 am

I thought Richard mentioned he is working on a bio of the Professor in a different thread.

Countelmsley

Postby Countelmsley » December 2nd, 2001, 10:23 am

Thanx boys, I'll check that out. Isn't The Vernon Chronicles numero fourte discontinued, though? Thats what I was told by a dealer, I think...

Jon Racherbaumer

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » December 2nd, 2001, 10:26 am

After the Vernon video that was released in Canada came out, I started making notes to write a NOVEL based on Dai Vernon...A novel of course permits some poetic license and also skirts legal ramifications. The idea would not be to diminish the legend but to really write an interesting, if not exciting, roman a clef.
This may still happen...providing I can gird myself for the critical onslaughts...

Onward...

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 2nd, 2001, 7:16 pm

I am NOT writing a biography of Dai Vernon. I am hoping to be the publisher of David Ben's biography of Vernon.
The existing biography of Vernon published by L&L is a fanciful version of his life, with a lot of misinformation.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Terry

Postby Terry » December 3rd, 2001, 6:58 am

Sorry Richard, misunderstood the situation. Knew you were involved in some aspect. Apologize for my incorrect statement.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 3rd, 2001, 9:11 pm

No apology necessary--that's why we have this forum. :)

Countelmsley

Postby Countelmsley » December 8th, 2001, 5:31 pm

Jon, the idea of a Vernon novel is a great one! Really hope you go through with it! Any thoughts on the plot for now?...

Postby Guest » December 15th, 2001, 2:24 pm

I seem to recall hearing that Irene Larsen was going to publish "The Vernon Touch", a compilation of Vernon's columns from Genii. This was over a year ago. Does anyone know about this?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 15th, 2001, 8:15 pm

The Vernon Touch columns are now owned by The Genii Corporation, the current owners of Genii.

Jon Racherbaumer

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » December 15th, 2001, 9:32 pm

I faithfully read and compiled all of Vernon's Genii columns, hoping along with everyone else that they would reveal more insights of the so-called Vernon Touch. Unfortunately, his columns proved to be lightweight rambles for the most part. This may be due to the fact, if rumors are true, that Vernon merely talked into a tape recorder, meandering and droning on about whatever popped into his head at the time...and then these tapes were transcribed to produce a column. This of course is NOT fine writing or even good journalism. This approach also resulted in thrice-told tales and much redundancy. Vernon was much better LIVE, up close and personal. When he held court, everybody's memory EDITED everything Vernon did and said. Tape transcripts on the other hand are usually liveless documents that simply record EVERYTHING...
(Try reading the Congressional Record some time.)

I look forward to a real biography of the Professor...and David Ben may be the right one to do it.

Onward...

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » January 2nd, 2002, 1:08 pm

I disagree! One of my favourite magic books is an (illegally) photocopied collection of early Vernon Touch columns, which contain a mine of wonderful information, unavailable elsewhere. Now, as time went on, it is true that the quality deteriorated, and repetition and redundancy did creep in...but if someone familiar with Vernon did a sensitive editing job, I have no doubt that a compilation could be a treasured contribution to the literature.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 2nd, 2002, 6:25 pm

Illegally photocopied Vernon Touch columns?
The police will be knocking at your door momentarily.
Where do you live?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Postby Guest » January 2nd, 2002, 7:43 pm

Look out for those Genii Police Dom. I hear they can go through locked doors. (something about dematerialization and keyholes.)

I would immediately burn those copies and bury the ashes. But even then you're not safe. If you need a good lawyer shoot me an e-mail.

Postby Guest » January 2nd, 2002, 8:10 pm

I've got all the magic ($7,344.56 worth of books and videos, no regrets) and I know about the negative bio info (hey, everybody is a *****), what I really, really need to know is:

a. What is sillouette cutting?
b. If you are able to do this, how do
you drum up bidness (they didn't
have malls in Vernon's time)
c. Once you deliver a sillouette
cutting to a customer, how do you
hammer the payoff (your sillouette,
dear, was quite complex, therefore I
must suggest my compensation be a
double sawbuck, or in your case, a
mere $4.50 would be in order)?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 2nd, 2002, 8:16 pm

Crimper, I think you should give a little more thought to your posts before actually replying. And, watch your language: what the heck is "drum up bidness"? Do you mean "drum up business"?
And leave out the references to the male member.

Postby Guest » January 2nd, 2002, 8:42 pm

A silhouette is a two-dimensional representation of the outline of an object or person. In other words the general shape of something. A silhouette cutting is a "cutout" of a persons profile.

Today a "silhouette cutter" would be like a "character sketch artist" found at most theme parks.

You get paid up front and then produce the silhouette for the patron. Today I would charge no less then $15 per cutting.

Silhouette cuttings were very popular around the turn of 20th Century 'cause it was like walking into a photo booth today and receiving an image of yourself within minutes. Dai Vernon was an exceptional silhouette cutter with excellent skills with a pair of scissors. (A good example can be found in the book HOUDINI His Legend and His Magic by Doug Henning with Charles Reynolds Warner Books 1977. Dai cut both Houdini's and Doug's silhouettes featured in this book.) Dai had incredible hands, a sharp eye, and a fast mind which shows in his fantastic silhouettes.

Postby Guest » January 2nd, 2002, 9:54 pm

Last I checked there was a silhouette cutter working at Disneyland. We had both our kids done about 5 years back. They hang in antique looking frames (purchased at Disneyland at additional cost of course) with other antiques in the room and it is a GREAT visual presentation!

And the buy 1 get 1 free is a natural kicker: if they fold the paper when they make it then a second silhouette is made at the same time. In fact I think I may have read this in some of the existing Vernon material?

Return to “Buzz”