Has The Magic Cafe Vanished?

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.

Has The Magic Cafe Vanished?

Postby Guest » September 18th, 2007, 8:38 am

I have noticed that The Magic Cafe has been down for 24 hours. Does anyone know if this is permenant? Maybe this is a good time to lure everyone over to Genii!! JR

Re: Has The Magic Cafe Vanished?

Postby Guest » September 18th, 2007, 8:45 am

Perhaps it has finally collapsed under the weight of its own foolishness.

However, technically speaking, it appears that their domain name servers (DNS), probably provided by their hosting company, are incorrectly configured.

Postby Guest » September 18th, 2007, 8:51 am

I have a serious question. Would members here be allowed to contact all the regulars(the ones with good posts) over on the Cafe, and invite them over here? I am curious whether this would be unethical, illegal, or really a rather good idea! JR

Postby Guest » September 18th, 2007, 8:52 am

Originally posted by Gordon Meyer:
Perhaps it has finally collapsed under the weight of its own foolishness. However, technically speaking...
This part I understand.
Could I get the rest in english, too, please? ;)

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » September 18th, 2007, 8:56 am

Originally posted by Jolly Roger:
I have a serious question. Would members here be allowed to contact all the regulars(the ones with good posts) over on the Cafe, and invite them over here? I am curious whether this would be unethical, illegal, or really a rather good idea! JR
There's nothing unethical about pointing a person in the direction of something you enjoy in the hopes that they would enjoy it as well. It's not like they have to make a choice of one over the other. I think it'd be different if, say, Richard sent out a mass e-mail to all the members over there saying "Hey, come check out my forum." But if you want to send a note to a few people saying "Hey, I like this forum, and you might, too." then I don't think there's any reason why you shouldn't.

-Jim

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » September 18th, 2007, 8:57 am

Originally posted by magicalaurie:

Could I get the rest in english, too, please? ;)
"This call can not be completed as dialed."

-Jim

Postby Guest » September 18th, 2007, 9:18 am

Could be due to global warming, just a digital disolve or as suggested above, DNS misdirection.

Any of the cafe staff members here too?

Postby Guest » September 18th, 2007, 10:02 am

I'm guessing that this is more than a DNS issue, although that is possible. If it is a DNS I would have hoped that someone would have the intelligence to.....

Oh - never mind.

Postby Guest » September 18th, 2007, 10:16 am

My favorite forum, that apparently works off the same deal the Magic Cafe' does ("Deal" is as technical as I can get) is down as well, I can only assume it isn't an issue with the Magic Cafe' in particular.

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » September 18th, 2007, 10:23 am

Maybe this is a good time to lure everyone over to Genii!!
Please no!

Rick Ruhl

Postby Rick Ruhl » September 18th, 2007, 10:26 am

I went to it by it's IP address and it doesnt look good.

http://216.240.159.226

All you get is their Cpanel for the Apache web server..

Postby Guest » September 18th, 2007, 10:41 am

"My favorite forum, that apparently works off the same deal the Magic Cafe' does ("Deal" is as technical as I can get) is down as well, I can only assume it isn't an issue with the Magic Cafe' in particular. "

Hello Josh. I believe you are referring to The Busker's Forum, run by my friend Danny Hustle. They have the same server as the Magic Cafe. I do hope the Buskers does not vanish, but I will not miss the Magic Cafe, to be very honest with you!! JR

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 18th, 2007, 10:58 am

I genuinely believe that it's good to have two major internet discussion boards like The Magic Cafe and The Genii Forum.
We were down last week for a day or so. There are all kinds of things that are out of your control on the Internet and I'm sure Steve Brooks is doing everything he can to get the Cafe back on line.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » September 18th, 2007, 10:59 am

To make everyone missing the Cafe feel at home:

Compare "Mr Jennings Takes It Easy" to Bob Kohler's U3F2.......

Postby Guest » September 18th, 2007, 11:01 am

Since I am a complete computer neophyte, can anyone explain the ramifications of what this means?

I assume they will be back up and running when things get corrected, but will all the posts and topics be lost (assuming they weren't backed up... can they even be backed up?)?

I'm very worried that some of my insightful comments will be lost to the magic world forever...

Ben Train

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » September 18th, 2007, 11:01 am

DARN... I had some unanswered questions over at the Cafe.... argh.... :D
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » September 18th, 2007, 11:06 am

There is some good news.

The Busker's forum is back up.

Postby Guest » September 18th, 2007, 11:06 am

Originally posted by Nordatrax:
Since I am a complete computer neophyte, can anyone explain the ramifications of what this means?...
Pretty much depends on whether any hard drives had to be replaced and if so how recently the BBS (posts/ads/membership info) was saved to backup.

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » September 18th, 2007, 11:06 am

Originally posted by Nordatrax:
Since I am a complete computer neophyte, can anyone explain the ramifications of what this means?

I assume they will be back up and running when things get corrected, but will all the posts and topics be lost (assuming they weren't backed up... can they even be backed up?)?

I'm very worried that some of my insightful comments will be lost to the magic world forever...

Ben Train
It depends on the nature of the problem. They should have everything backed up, and if they backup once a day, then the worst that could happen would be that they'd potentially lose the posts from up to 24 hours prior to the crash.

More likely is that the database is intact and there's just some server wonkiness (yes, my degree in Computer Science allows me to correctly describe it as "wonkiness") which will get cleared up fairly soon and everything will go back to normal.

-Jim

Postby Guest » September 18th, 2007, 11:09 am

Although I am always on the verge of being banned at the MC, I still enjoy the atmosphere. Always a good place for a fight over nothing.

However the BC's page is open, but won't let me log in.... Also it seems to be stuck back at January 07.
Hopefully there was some back up. Not necessarily at the MC, nothing I say there is worth much.

(edit)I was wrong I can log in... with my January Password.

Postby Guest » September 18th, 2007, 11:16 am

The Buskers seems to be back and missing many posts. This is what now comes up on the Green Place:

Index of /
Name Last modified Size Description
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Parent Directory 18-Sep-2007 08:53 -
cgi-bin/ 18-Sep-2007 14:12 -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.37 Server at themagiccafe.com Port 80

What does it mean? JR

Postby Guest » September 18th, 2007, 11:23 am

It means you are banging your head against a brick wall. For someone who was banned from the cafe, you seem to be worried an awful lot about it.

Trying to get it to come up by putting it into your browser line is a lot like trying to get it to rain by sprinkling water on your garden.

The problem is probably very simple. Anything that's on the internet is subject to the stability of the server it's on. If the server goes down, so does the web site.

Postby Guest » September 18th, 2007, 11:31 am

It will be back soon, or not. It takes time to resolve conflicts of this nature.

Postby Guest » September 18th, 2007, 11:32 am

Just visited and it looks a little bit after 2am on January 6th 2007.

Postby Guest » September 18th, 2007, 11:36 am

Bill, in case no one has ever told you... your analogies are truly superb.

Postby Guest » September 18th, 2007, 11:37 am

The DNS has been resolved now backups must be restored.

Postby Guest » September 18th, 2007, 11:37 am

Great! Now we can avoid that whole "crimp change" dialogue! ;)

Postby Guest » September 18th, 2007, 11:40 am

This raises a good point... I bet most poster at the MC know of the genii board - so why DON'T they post here?

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » September 18th, 2007, 11:41 am

Originally posted by Jonathan Townsend:
Ouch.

I hope that just means they haven't restored the most recent backups yet. On the other hand, if that is the most recent backup, well...ouch.

-Jim

Rick Ruhl

Postby Rick Ruhl » September 18th, 2007, 11:45 am

Yeah I had a 'new' PM from Bob Sanders, but it was from back in January.

As someone who's worked online since 1979 and helped create MSN in 1999....take my advice!

DO DAILY BACKUPS.. NO EXCUSES.

[Off of soapbox]

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » September 18th, 2007, 11:45 am

Originally posted by Iain Hamilton:
so why DON'T they post here?
Yikes! Not this discussion again!

-Jim

Postby Guest » September 18th, 2007, 12:08 pm

It appears it is back...

And I also just received a "new" message that was sent on January 6th, 2007

Rick Ruhl

Postby Rick Ruhl » September 18th, 2007, 12:11 pm

If the hosting companies last backup was January and they didnt have the websites on mirrored drives, then they are the dumbest morons on the planet.

This is why I host my websites on MY PERSONAL servers that I CAN TOUCH. Just give me bandwidth. But you cannot have my data on your server! LOL

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » September 18th, 2007, 12:17 pm

OH BOY, what a mess. Looks like we's gotta start all over again. Tsk, tsk! :eek:
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » September 18th, 2007, 12:20 pm

"For someone who was banned from the cafe, you seem to be worried an awful lot about it."

Bill, my friend.... I have no idea what gives you the impression that I am "worried" about it! I am simply curious as to what is going on over there, as are many others! JR

Postby Guest » September 18th, 2007, 12:24 pm

The cafe says I don't exist... :(

Rick Ruhl

Postby Rick Ruhl » September 18th, 2007, 12:25 pm

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
OH BOY, what a mess. Looks like we's gotta start all over again. Tsk, tsk! :eek:
Things like this make people lose confidence in a discussion board.

Personally, I'd like to see Genii Forum on it's own server in Richard's office, so he could do the daily backups, and have it all on a mirrored drive. So that if it fails, you dont have to rely on the hosting company for backup. You have the mirrored drive (instant recovery) and the tape backup if both drives failed.

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » September 18th, 2007, 12:41 pm

Originally posted by podcastrant:
The cafe says I don't exist... :(
Me too. The link for the new password is still down.
Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

Postby Guest » September 18th, 2007, 12:43 pm

Kevin,

I was joking. Sorta like, "But I do exist, I'm typing this!" Anyway, bad joke.

If you weren't a member prior to Jan, like me, you can't log on at the moment.

Postby Guest » September 18th, 2007, 1:02 pm

Originally posted by Jolly Roger:
"For someone who was banned from the cafe, you seem to be worried an awful lot about it."

Bill, my friend.... I have no idea what gives you the impression that I am "worried" about it! I am simply curious as to what is going on over there, as are many others! JR
What gives me the impression that you are "worried" about it is that you started this nonsensical thread in the first place!

Rick:

The expense of having your own server is probably more than you realize. You not only need a server, but you need a T 1 connection to keep the bandwidth moving.

A good server leasing company will perform nightly backups of all of your material, so the longest time you will be down would be about 12 hours.

As far as this causing people to "lose faith in a discussion board" -- be real. It's a BBS. That's it. That's all it is.

Return to “Buzz”