Mel Gibson interested in magic?

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Jeff Eline

Mel Gibson interested in magic?

Postby Jeff Eline » July 22nd, 2002, 6:20 pm

There has been a lot of talk about actors and other celebrities interested in magic. I just saw a photo in Premier magazine about the film Signs by M. Night Shamalyan, starring Mel Gibson. Mr. Gibson is holding a deck of cards while he's taking to the director in the middle of a cornfield. Doesn't seem as if a deck of cards would be a prop at this point. Does anyone know if he's an enthusiast?

Jeff

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Mel Gibson interested in magic?

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 22nd, 2002, 6:33 pm

It's possible he was playing Solitaire between takes, or playing poker or gin with someone. They spend a lot of time sitting around doing nothing when shooting a movie.
It's nice to think he was practicing The Diagonal Palm Shift :)
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Terry

Postby Terry » July 23rd, 2002, 4:50 am

Mel Gibson does actually have an interest in magic. I remember him doing a couple of tricks on one of the late night shows.

Larry Horayne

Postby Larry Horayne » July 23rd, 2002, 11:11 am

Besides the obvious Orson Welles and Tony Curtis, actors Dean Martin, Fred Astaire, Chester Morris and Van Heflin were lesser known enthusiasts. Film writer/director George Seaton [Miracle On 34th Street, the original Airport], and radio's first Lone Ranger, was a huge magic enthusiast.

www.SandySinger.com
A DATE WITH SINATRA

mike cookman

Postby mike cookman » July 23rd, 2002, 2:18 pm

Mel Gibson has long been into magic. I, too, saw him do a couple of tricks on Letterman's show, and he does a coin roll in Lethal Weapon 2.Plus he has talked about his magic interests on talk shows. Val Kilmer does a decent coinroll in Tombstone, as does Jude Law in Road to Perdition.

Alain Roy

Postby Alain Roy » July 23rd, 2002, 3:14 pm

Actually, isn't Mr. Gibson the friend of some famous magician? I forget exactly who...

:)

-alain

Postby Guest » July 23rd, 2002, 5:39 pm

Mel did spoon bending on the Jay Leno Show years ago.

Scott

Postby Scott » July 23rd, 2002, 6:57 pm

Richard, is there a story here? Famous people who are interested in magic? It could be a very good story, with lots of great mini stories.

Something like :

How'd you become interested in magic?
Do you perform for anyone?
What type of magic do you perform?
Who's your favorite magician?
What is your favorite trick to perform?

and anything else you can think of. I'd personally love to know who, in the headlines, is into magic and what they like and what they do. Plus, it kind of gives them a great interview other than "So, tell us about your latest movie". Let's them be seen as someone other than a movie star, politican, acter/actress, celebrity.

Just a thought.

Terry

Postby Terry » July 24th, 2002, 5:00 am

Val Kilmer does a decent coinroll in Tombstone
His first movie display of the coin roll was in 'Real Genius' and he was doing the roll with a coin in each hand.

Dale Shrimpton

Postby Dale Shrimpton » July 24th, 2002, 5:05 am

Lets not forget Anthony hopkins doing some things in the movie " Magic", And the fact that he based the character of Hanibal lector, on the late great british comedy magic genius, Tommy Cooper .

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 24th, 2002, 10:28 am

The portrayal of Hannibal Lector is based on Tommy Cooper? Huh? Can anyone else verify this?
How Bizarre!
Claricccccccccccccccce ....
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » July 24th, 2002, 11:30 am

Another great actor Neil Patrick Harris (Doogie Howser) is also a magician. He has performed some effects on various talk shows...which is probably why he was never asked back.

Postby Guest » July 24th, 2002, 12:31 pm

Actor Robbie Benson (of 70s fame) became a member of the Magic Castle the same night I auditioned... he's dang good!

Others I know of personally that dabble include; Dean Cane (Superman/Ripley's); Dom Delouise (and I think his boy Peter too); Dick VanPatten; Jackie Gleason; Donald O'Connor; Debbie Reynolds; Patrick Swazey (sp); Leonard Nimoy; John Astin; Al Lewis (Grandpa Munster); Jerry Lewis; Art Carney; Billy Bartey; Patrick Labertaux (sp) of JAG (used to be really into it... don't know where he stands these days)... call me silly, but has anyone mentioned Carey Grant yet? I don't recall seeing his name on the other lists and he was a member of the Castle Board at one time...

I know a couple of the guys from "New Kids on The Block" caught the bug when they worked with Harry Blackstone and I understand some of the other "young'ns" out there are getting hip to some bits here and there, but I've gotten out of the loop. ;)

Larry Horayne

Postby Larry Horayne » July 24th, 2002, 12:35 pm

Forgot--the Dell 'geek-guy' is a magician.

www.SandySinger.com
A DATE WITH SINATRA

luigimar

Postby luigimar » July 24th, 2002, 2:27 pm

I know Michael Jackson is/was? into magic as well. I saw some pictures of him doing some magic and talking to one of his teachers, Michael Ammar in 86 or 87. He was supposed to do some magic on his shows but don't know what happened to that idea.
luigimar

David Britland

Postby David Britland » July 24th, 2002, 5:18 pm

Re Jude Law's coin roll in the movie Road to Perdition, this was taught to him by Guy Hollingworth who was taken on as a consultant to the project. So not sure it represents some real magical interest on Jude Law's part.

I have heard that Eric Clapton is interested in coin tricks and can thumb palm his plectrum while playing guitar.

John Smetana

Postby John Smetana » July 24th, 2002, 6:08 pm

Other show biz personalities that were involved in magic were; Milton Berle--Chester Morris---Jimmy Stewart-- Stewart had one or more items written up in the old Jinx. Muhammed Ali is/was into magic also. I taught him a coin effect when he stopped by Tannen's one day.

Best thoughts,
John Smetana

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » July 24th, 2002, 7:10 pm

Originally posted by Scott:
Richard, is there a story here? Famous people who are interested in magic? It could be a very good story, with lots of great mini stories.
It would make a fine story. Anyone have the time to do the huge amount of research required for RK?

Did I see Steve Martin's name on any of those lists? Also Jason Alexander.

Dustin

Dale Shrimpton

Postby Dale Shrimpton » July 25th, 2002, 12:54 am

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
The portrayal of Hannibal Lector is based on Tommy Cooper? Huh? Can anyone else verify this?
How Bizarre!
Claricccccccccccccccce ....
Hopkins has apeared on at least two tribute shows to cooper, and has stated this fact, explaining exactly which bits of cooper he used, the " wild "eyes, and his hands , being amongst the things.
He is also a member of a club, where people get together and " do Tommy"
remember ,Hopkins has an odd sense of humour, and came from a simalar part of the world as cooper. It all fits.

Mitch Dutton

Postby Mitch Dutton » July 25th, 2002, 5:36 am

I have never seen Tommy Cooper! I have read and heard about him forever but have never had a chance to see him. Is there any performance on video that I might see? --Mitch

Dale Shrimpton

Postby Dale Shrimpton » July 25th, 2002, 5:41 am

I can guarentee that if you do a search on amazon, or any of the sites you will be able to buy tapes.
my flat mate has a rather impresive box set, with just a fraction of the material he came up with in his countless years on television over here in the u.k.
and tapes of him are for sale in just about every video store you can find, over here.
Dale

P.S ALSO SEE THIS LINK.....
http://freespace.virgin.net/steve.hulse/tc.htm

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » July 25th, 2002, 12:28 pm

One of the funniest tapes I have on Tommy Cooper is a routine where he is trying to do a vent act on a ship using a roll on table... as the ship rocks, the table moves... you have to see it.

"Just like that" is one of his catch lines...

Cooper died while doing a show on TV and all the guys in the audience thought it was a gag. He lay there "dead" and someone dragged him offstage live on TV.

Ken Brooke was in the audience and told me about it.

:(
Stay tooned.

Dale Shrimpton

Postby Dale Shrimpton » July 26th, 2002, 12:46 am

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
One of the funniest tapes I have on Tommy Cooper is a routine where he is trying to do a vent act on a ship using a roll on table... as the ship rocks, the table moves... you have to see it.

"Just like that" is one of his catch lines...

Cooper died while doing a show on TV and all the guys in the audience thought it was a gag. He lay there "dead" and someone dragged him offstage live on TV.

Ken Brooke was in the audience and told me about it.

:(
ah, a true clasic pete.
I remember watching Tommy pass away live on national t.v.
it was at her majesty's theatre in london, now home to Phantom of the opera.
i turned to my dad and said, " why are they laughing? he's dead. sure enough just two minuets later, there was a news flash.
the routine he was doing was the one in which he produces all manner of unusual items from his coat, including a bath, and a 12 foot ladder.
the ladder was the last thing he ever did.
What people do remember about it most of all, is that he didnt fall, he seemed to float down to the floor.
strangely gracefull till the end, and so missed.
there will never be another Tommy cooper.

Andrew Martin Portala

Postby Andrew Martin Portala » July 26th, 2002, 8:09 am

Woody Allen too.

Andrew Martin Portala

Postby Andrew Martin Portala » July 26th, 2002, 8:15 am

Oh yeah,Dave Madden(Ruban Kincade)Partridge Family.
Come on get happy :) :D

Andrew Martin Portala

Postby Andrew Martin Portala » July 26th, 2002, 8:27 am

Sorry
My brain is still popping.
Jimmy Stewart
...and maybe Elvis
Milton Berle
Sheri Lewis
Jerry Lewis
and Anna Nicole Smith-Hey, anyone who can produce millions dollars like she did is a magician. :D
Oh,Charlie Chaplin,too

Andrew Martin Portala

Postby Andrew Martin Portala » July 26th, 2002, 8:31 am

Sorry : :( Did some repeats
Oh yeah
Johnny Carson and Dick Cavett!!!!!!!!

Jeremy Medows

Postby Jeremy Medows » July 26th, 2002, 1:28 pm

Robert Lansing. He passed away a few years ago. He was on the TV show Kung-Fu The Legend Continues and played Peter's adopted father. There was a magic-themed episode of this show.

Postby Guest » July 26th, 2002, 1:52 pm

"I know Michael Jackson is/was? into magic as well. I saw some pictures of him doing some magic and talking to one of his teachers, Michael Ammar in 86 or 87. He was supposed to do some magic on his shows but don't know what happened to that idea."

As far as I know, Michael still does "The Lean" in his shows, which I consider to be a magic effect. After all, he owns a patent on a version of it!

-Corey

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » July 28th, 2002, 3:43 pm

Arsenio Hall was tutored in Magic by Mike Rogers.

Mark Evanier (who's website is pretty interesting to browse) has an article about his attending the taping of an episode of the old "Dick Van Dyke" show, during which Van Dyke "did some expert sleight of hand" with a business card.

http://www.povonline.com/COL019.htm

Bill

Postby Guest » July 28th, 2002, 5:05 pm

Originally posted by Mark Ennis:
Another great actor Neil Patrick Harris (Doogie Howser) is also a magician. He has performed some effects on various talk shows...which is probably why he was never asked back.
Yup, in fact, Neil is good friends with magician Ed Alonzo, among others, and I believe a Castle member himself, although I can't say for sure. I also think he's been a presenter at the annual awards ceremony there at least once.

Also, thanks to whomever posted the note about Michael Jackson's patent on the anti-gravity thing--quite cool reading. Curious how Malloy's version of the effect fits into the scheme of patent rights, whose came first, etc. But that's a whole 'nother thread...

MaxNY
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

Postby MaxNY » July 29th, 2002, 9:15 am

They say the dude from the Dell computer commercials started out as a magician... went to a few conventions.
What is the name of a comedienne who used to hike up his pants way high, jam his hands into his pockets and do his father? Rich and Meaty, Butt Steak.. who is that guy? Started as a magician.
E is showing old SNL's, ever see the guy who had a card choosen, then placed the deck on a football passer type toy...That was Mystery Theater guy wasn't it?
Tommy Copper videos are probably only available on Pal. I have a couple I transfered to NTSC, wanna trade? You gotta have something I don't, Good Luck.

Paul Cummins

Postby Paul Cummins » July 29th, 2002, 9:33 am

Originally posted by MaxNY:

What is the name of a comedienne who used to hike up his pants way high, jam his hands into his pockets and do his father? .
Jeff Altman

Postby Guest » July 29th, 2002, 10:11 am

Originally posted by MaxNY:
They say the dude from the Dell computer commercials started out as a magician... went to a few conventions.
Yup, his name's Ben Curtis. He was my roommate at the Tannen's Magic Camp for a year or two. Really nice guy who I've since lost touch with, unfortunately. It was a total surprise to see him as "Steve, the Dell Guy" last year. Took me a little while to recognize him, because he's lost his characteristic southern drawl :o)

Frank Yuen

Postby Frank Yuen » July 29th, 2002, 11:06 am

E is showing old SNL's, ever see the guy who had a card choosen, then placed the deck on a football passer type toy...That was Mystery Theater guy wasn't it?
Max, Joel Hodgson (sp?) was the Mystery Science guy and yes he did do magic. I never saw him on SNL though. Do you know what time period that particular SNL was from? Who were the cast members?

Frank Yuen

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » July 29th, 2002, 12:59 pm

Ed Alonzo was a semi-regular on the 1st season of the show "Saved by the Bell".

Joel Hodgson (of the original Mystery Science Theater 3000) was on Saturday Night Live on Feb 18, 1984, when Jamie Lee Curtis was host, and The Fixx was the musical guest and had a feature article in Genii sometime in 1996-97 (the cover had a photo of Paul Harris as a kid, I believe).

Jeff Altman (of Pink Lady and Jeff, one of TV Guide's 50 Worst TV Shows of All Time), had several effects in Apocalypse and other Lorayne publications (Best of Friends II, maybe more). I've heard his father was a magician.

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » July 29th, 2002, 1:23 pm

The Marx Brothers' grandfather was a magician, and taught Harpo a few things. He was also known to pick a pocket or two. One time he was at a high-class party, and he approached a man. Harpo told him that he could predict exactly how much money he had in his wallet. He told him the amount up front, and when the man counted his money, he was absolutely stunned to discover that Harpo had gotten it exactly right -- down to the penny. How'd he do it? A few moments earlier, he had noticed the man's wallet sticking out of his pocket a bit, so he decided to have some fun. He went over, pick the man's pocket and counted the money. Then he replaced the wallet, walked around a bit until he could approach the man from the front. And then he worked a miracle!

I'd also be surprised of Chico and Zeppo, both compulsive gamblers, didn't have a few tricks up their sleeves.

And then there's Groucho's great line from Duck Soup:

Groucho: Pick a card.
Margret Dumont: <takes a card and, after an awkward pause, says> Well, what should I do with it?
Groucho: Keep it, I've got 51 left.

Does Harry Anderson count in this discussion? I think he's pretty well known as both a magician and a actor/comedian, so I don't know.

-Jim

Jeff Eline

Postby Jeff Eline » July 29th, 2002, 6:02 pm

I don't know it as fact, but I have heard that Producer/Director Frank Oz is also a magician. I've sent his company some scripts... maybe I should include a few books or videos with it! :D

EdAndres

Postby EdAndres » July 29th, 2002, 6:36 pm

Speaking of Dick Van Dyke. If you watch his old show there was a great episode about magic. He is showing his boy all kinds of tricks, and does an excellent billard ball routine. Then some "marked" card stuff. Well he has his friends over to play cards, and the marked deck gets into the game.... then the fun begins.

Also don't forget the great Mr. Ed episode were he went to the SAM convention. (yes they let him in the dealers room without a badge.... butt he had talent! :p :p )

Dale Shrimpton

Postby Dale Shrimpton » July 30th, 2002, 12:31 am

Jack Klugman, ( quincy ) has an interets as well. There was an episode based around the castle, which i have only ever seen once. by strange coincidence, on the night before i visited the castle!!

Return to “Buzz”