In The Hands Wild Card DVD Released Very Soon

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Tom Dobrowolski

In The Hands Wild Card DVD Released Very Soon

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » October 26th, 2005, 11:57 am

Just some self promotion here.

My "In The Hands Wild Card" dvd is about to be shipped. Information here:http://www.chicagomagicbash.com

It will be distributed to dealers world wide through Murphy's and when I get my copies will be sold retail through the website.I heard from the duplicator today and it is in packaging so should be shipped soon. Any questions, etc. please let me know.

p.s.- Curious if anyone knows the significance of the web site name.

ggarcia

Re: In The Hands Wild Card DVD Released Very Soon

Postby ggarcia » October 26th, 2005, 3:02 pm

I am sure this is outstanding but is there a demo video somewhere. i went to the site and did not see one.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » October 26th, 2005, 3:11 pm

Since it uses a "standard" set of cards for WildCard it would probably be a bad idea to post a video.

Too many lost sales due to people "reverse engineering" the handing and publishing their own "variations".

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » October 26th, 2005, 6:03 pm

Bill is correct.

The dvd includes a handling for a standard wild card set and a streamlined version using 6 cards recommended by the 4 gentlemen in the picture on the web site. All the cards are placed in the spectators hands in the routine and you are reset when the routine is over. It explains a number of the moves seperately then the routine from 2 angles from the front and from the performers view.

It's a routine I've used over the last 10 years or so.

Any other questions, etc. just ask.

oskar

Postby oskar » October 27th, 2005, 6:00 am

Does this version differ from the versions created by Steven Hamilton (published in Profile magazine and Rarities) or Tommy Wonder (Books of Wonder)

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » October 27th, 2005, 7:26 am

Yes it does. Of course the effect is very similar to the 2 routines mentioned as it is a wild card plot (i.e. cards changing into a "freely" selected card). On the DVD the Tommy Wonder routine, which I saw him perform in Chicago 20 or so years ago when I sponsored his lecture in this area, is listed as an inspiration. The handling and card set up is different than his and the handling is different than the Hamilton routine.

This routine uses a standard wild card set with nothing needed to be added, changed , etc. It requires no table at all. All the cards are actually placed in the spectators as well as the magicians hands in the routine. All the changes were designed to be as visual and natural looking as I could make them as well as the displays of "all" the cards fronts and backs throughout the routine

Any other questions, etc. please let me know.

oskar

Postby oskar » October 27th, 2005, 9:15 am

Aren't you just using the spectators hands as a table? Could you still perform this routine if you were strolling at a cocktail party and peoples hands were full with drinks and plates of food?

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » October 27th, 2005, 9:52 am

You are correct the spectators hand(s) are used as a table. I have used it for years in all kinds of situations and never had an issue.

If everyone in the groups hand(s) are full I do a different routine. One of the strengths of this routine is that the cards are in the spectators hands throughout the routine.

Anything else let me know.

Bob Taxin

Postby Bob Taxin » October 27th, 2005, 10:32 am

It sounds great for those of us who go group to group. I'll check it out. Up 'till now I've used a Roberto Giobbi effect called, "Wild Nudist" which works all in my hands.
Bob Taxin

BrendanK

Postby BrendanK » October 27th, 2005, 2:45 pm

Wild card sets from Keith Bennett of Birmingham used to come with Steve Hamilton's routine - may still do, in which case it's a bargain - check with him at << mail@kbmagic.com>>

I seem to remember this may have appeared in an older set of lecture notes from Paul Wilson too - title escapes me.

Paul...

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » October 28th, 2005, 12:18 am

It's in Wilson's Little Black Book lecture notes.

I think Douglas Cameron had a few copies of Rarities of which he was disposing for Mary after Steve died. That would be worth checking out.

Take care, Ian

Jon Elion

Postby Jon Elion » October 28th, 2005, 5:23 am

The following information has NOTHING to do with Tom Dobrowolski's routine or the aforementioned DVD. It only concerns Brendan's post (above) about KBMagic's offering (and NO reflection on Brendan!).

I ordered "Wildcard" from Keith Bennett April 20, 2003 after Keith verified that it included the "in the hands" routine from Scotland's Steve Hamilton. On May 25, 2003 Keith said he was behind in his mailings but said he would send it out that week. On June 19, 2003, I still had received nothing, and Keith said he didn't know what had happened to it, but he would send another set. Thankfully, he included the routine as an attachment to the email. I never received the cards from him, and he never responded to further emails. Draw your own conclusions.

Now I think I'll head over to Chicago Bash and order Tom's DVD!

BrendanK

Postby BrendanK » October 28th, 2005, 10:13 am

I've no commercial links with Keith Bennett, just aware that he marketed Steve's "in the hands " handling of Wild Card, which I admired, and that Paul thought it worth including in his notes.

D Laub

Postby D Laub » October 28th, 2005, 12:53 pm

I generally look at wild card routines with an enormous sense of indifference. But after having seen Tom's, I've been forced to change my mind.
This is a great routine that makes sense, can be done with out using table space, the spectator is managed in the routine, so that he/she handles the cards without any sense of gimmicked cards. Truely great stuff, Tom!

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » October 28th, 2005, 1:40 pm

Denny:
Thank you for the kind comments. Glad you enjoyed the routine.

Jon:
Thanks for the support.

I will have paypal up on the site in a week or so to take orders. I didn't want to start taking orders until I actually had the dvd's in my hands. They are at the duplicator right now in the packaging area and I am waiting to hear from them to confirm a delivery date. I'll post again when I hear. Again thanks to all who have shown interest.

Any other questions, etc. please let me know.

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » November 4th, 2005, 11:43 am

Just an update. I will have my copies in the next few days. They were sent out to me yesterday from California. I will have paypal up on my site next week sopmetime to be able to take orders or it should be available through your favorite dealer.

Any questions, etc. let me know. Hope you all enjoy and use the routine.- Tom

http://chicagomagicbash.com/

Fred Zimmerman

Postby Fred Zimmerman » November 4th, 2005, 1:20 pm

Let me add my voice to those praising "In The Hands." Tom has done this for me several times now, and it is always very entertaining and engaging. Practically speaking, it's great because it doesn't need a table. Magically, it has a terrific build and payoff. The script is tight and clever and the fact that the cards end up in the spectators hands for most of the routine is a major plus.

This is well worth the investment. When you learn it, you'll be doing it all night.

Fred Zimmerman

Postby Guest » November 6th, 2005, 8:19 pm

I had the pleasure of seeing Tom perform his in the hands wild card at 'Midwest Magic" a few weeks back. It's great!

Jon Stetson

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » November 7th, 2005, 9:04 am

Fred and Jon:

I appreciate the nice comments and am glad you liked the handling. Thanks- Tom

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » November 22nd, 2005, 8:58 am

First on-line review I've seen from :http://intenselymagic.blogspot.com/2005_11_01_intenselymagic_archive.html.

I don't know who this is but I do appreciate the review !!

"I'm supposed to be a cranky old goat pissing on anything new that comes along, but I've recently reviewed and studied 2 new DVD releases that I think are terrific. Additionally, the one trick - one dvd ratio seems to always be a screwing waiting to happen, but I'm highly recommending these:

The first is Tom Dobrowolski's In The Hand Wild Card.

I have long maintained the the best card effects are created by skillful sleight of hand, combined with judiciously used gaffs. Tom's routine is a perfect example of that. It's an ideal trick for walk around and table work. Combine this with John Bannon's Twisted Sisters and you've got a couple of tricks that will carry you a long, long way.

Tom's routine is the result of years of performance and refinement. There is a logical reason for everything, even bringing out the special set of cards. The spectator is never challenged, made to feel stupid or held out for ridicule. The only danger I see is some [censored] has every opportunity to drag out the no, the clean one line. You have my permission to shoot on sight.

Additionally, Tom is a heck of a nice guy. I like to see the good guys succeed."

scott snider

Postby scott snider » November 23rd, 2005, 7:33 pm

Tom, you have a winner here. Having seen you perform this a few times and just picking up my copy of your DVD, I am really impressed with the production and "teach-in" on the DVD. I can't find fault with it at all. Sorry I missed the in store teach-in but I think you really do a 1st class job on the video that it wasn't needed. And by the way that guy who quoted..."Additionally, Tom is a heck of a nice guy. I like to see the good guys succeed"; folks, I'll second this. Tom IS a great guy and I think you'll see his "super nice guy" personality come across in his DVD. Good job my friend.

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » November 24th, 2005, 4:26 pm

Scott:

I don't know what to say but Thank You my friend!! I appreciate the support and your kind comments.

As an FYI my website has been updated including the ability to purchase the dvd on line through the website www.chicagomagicbash.com.

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » December 18th, 2005, 12:43 pm

I received a few e-mails that the "Bonus 6 Card Routine" (title screen on the back of the DVD case) is not on the DVD. Actually it is. I had it put on as an Easter egg.

To access the bonus routine go to the main menu. Arrow down to the "DVD Rom" button. Hit the left arrow and my hands light up (change color). Hit enter and the chapter will play.

I hope those of you that have purchased (or seen) a copy have enjoyed it. If you have any feedback on the routine or DVD please feel free to post it or contact me through www.chicagomagicbash.com .

Glenn Bishop

Postby Glenn Bishop » December 21st, 2005, 11:57 am

Hey Tom - Good luch with your DVD. How are things in Chicago? I wish you well with DVD sales.

Glenn Bishop

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » December 21st, 2005, 4:33 pm

Hi Glenn:

Thanks for the good wishes. The DVD is selling well. Dealers world wide are carrying it and copies can be ordered through my web site www.chicagomagicbash.com.

Things are good in Chicago. (cold but good!!) I miss the old days of sitting around the magic shop talking to 2 of my favorite people Billy and Ann Bishop. Hope you and your family are doing well.

Happy Holidays !!

Larry Barnowsky

Postby Larry Barnowsky » December 21st, 2005, 5:59 pm

I haven't seen Tom's routine or DVD.
There is a very good Wild Card effect by Bob Miller who is known for the Relentless Ring and String Routine video. It is called Wild Hand and comes complete with the needed cards. It is done entirely in your hands. The spectator's hands are not used as a table. It sells for $10 and he has a video also for sale for those who learn better that way.
http://www.bobmillermagic.biz/
Magica Analytica
barnowskymagic.com

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » December 21st, 2005, 6:43 pm

Larry:

There are a number of good wild card routines available. I probably own them all.

Not sure why you would choose to post information and a link to purchase another routine and/or tape in this thread when as you mention you haven't seen my routine or DVD. Just not something I would choose to do. It would make more sense to me if it were in the context of a review/comparison.

Have a Happy Holiday. - Tom

Larry Barnowsky

Postby Larry Barnowsky » December 21st, 2005, 7:25 pm

Hi Tom,
I mentioned Miller's routine (which I have) since it is an "in the magician's hands" wild card routine and doesn't use the spectator's hands as a platform. I thought that people who wanted to do it that way should be aware of this effect. Someone in the thread asked about using the spectator's hands. That's why I mentioned it and gave the link. I'm sure your routine is wonderful as the posters have said and I wish you success in marketing it.
Magica Analytica
barnowskymagic.com

Scott Fridinger

Postby Scott Fridinger » December 23rd, 2005, 5:46 am

Originally posted by Larry Barnowsky:
Hi Tom,
I mentioned Miller's routine (which I have) since it is an "in the magician's hands" wild card routine and doesn't use the spectator's hands as a platform. I thought that people who wanted to do it that way should be aware of this effect. Someone in the thread asked about using the spectator's hands. That's why I mentioned it and gave the link. I'm sure your routine is wonderful as the posters have said and I wish you success in marketing it.
I have not, yet, purchased the Tom's DVD, but I sure will after the Holidays. However, a wildcard in the hands of the Spectators seems much more powerful. If the magician is scared of using the spectator's hands, maybe he should get another hobby.

Tom, looking forward to it.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » December 23rd, 2005, 6:08 am

Don't know about that - how about in a strolling situation where everyone's hands are full with food and drink? In that case it would be useful to have a method such as Steven Hamilton's on hand.

Take care, Ian

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » December 23rd, 2005, 6:39 am

Scott:

Thanks for the comments. It is one of those really fun moments in performing when you put the cards in the spectators hands as the routine progresses. I have yet, over a number of years, to have had anyone grab or question the cards.By placing the cards in their hands they feel much more involved in the magic than if they were just standing there watching cards change. It plays extremely well and has been a powerful routine for myself and the people I've shared it with over the years.

Ian:

As I mention above I , and a few people I've shown it to over the years, have used this routine for years in walk around (strolling), restaurant (table to table) and formal settings with no issues. That said it never hurts to know a number of methods for performing any effect.

Scott Fridinger

Postby Scott Fridinger » December 23rd, 2005, 4:12 pm

Tom

I just picked it up so I just wanted to say that I really like it alot. The thing about Wild Card to me is that it has always been one of those Showpiece effects that a magician would do at a formal setting. You have your table and you go through the effect. But other than for family or friends who really has the opportunity to do such a formal effect. Even restaurant guys who have tables really don't have the room for this effect. This effect is really for the walk around guy and I could see it being the only card effect I would do in a three trick set for a walk around gig. It is really that nice. Thanks Tom.

Ian, I see your point about the food and can respect that. This really is a good effect, worth having them set their drink down for a second.

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » December 23rd, 2005, 5:19 pm

Scott:

I'm really glad you liked the routine and appreciate the kind comments. Your assessment of wild card is exactly why I developed this routine. I currently use it as the only card effect in a 4 routine set. It has served me well for years. Thanks - Tom

D Laub

Postby D Laub » December 23rd, 2005, 5:56 pm

Tom, the thing about your routine is it is in the SPECTATOR'S Hands, not the performers.Wild card usually screams gimmicked cards. To do an "in the hands" routine meaning in the magician's hands, as in Larry's suggested routine, is not a step forward. Your's fits the bill

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » January 2nd, 2006, 10:19 am

I was just made aware of a crediting reference for a move in my DVD that I overlooked. I just didn't unearth it when I was doing my research. Below is an e-mail I received from Andrew Pinard.

"Were you aware that "The Switch" you refer to on the video is taught in Tarbell? Check out Volume 5, page 146, "The Conjurer's Four-Ace
Mystery."

Thanks Andrew for the information.I will add the credit in any future stampings. - Tom

Postby Guest » January 2nd, 2006, 2:03 pm

I just got off the phone with a noted magician (getting info for my next magic review show) and he mentioned that your DVD is one of the best he's seen in a long time. This from a guy who isn't a fan of video.
Steve V

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » February 15th, 2006, 7:36 pm

An on line review from David Acer (pronounced ???):

http://mylovelyassistant.com/index.php? ... 8952&cid=0

Postby Guest » June 25th, 2006, 5:02 pm

Just got this pleasant note from Allan Ackerman:

There are only a few of published close-up routines that are specifically geared to the standup performer that do not have the luxury of a table. If you like Wild Card and you often find yourself working in a walk around situation then this routine is for you. The routine is extremely visual, has no apparent discrepancies, and no awkward moves. I really like this handling and have added the routine to my repertoire. Allan Ackerman

Thanks Allan !

The DVD is still available through dealers worldwide (wholesaler Murphys) or through my website www.chicagomagicbash.com

Postby Guest » June 25th, 2006, 7:54 pm

Originally posted by Tom Dobrowolski:
An on line review from David Acer
(pronounced ???):
I believe he pronounces it Day-Vid.

But folks on the east coast often say Die-Vid.

Postby Guest » June 26th, 2006, 2:19 am

Steve Hamilton had two other books that Mary was selling with Rarities for 20 and well worth it. PM me for her address.

Return to “Buzz”