2005 LVMI Schedule of Events

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Danny Archer

Postby Danny Archer » March 10th, 2005, 3:05 pm

Man it was hard trying to squeeze 8 great lectures into three days, but I think we did it. Add in a panel discussion reuniting the Hedonists of the Bahamas (Harris, Ammar and Daryl) and three attendee shows and you have a jam-packed convention.

Registration price will increase in a few weeks so here is your chance to sigh-up and save. More info at LVMI

Sunday 12th

Noon Registration Opens

2:00 PM Lecture 1 Chris Randall

3:30 Break

4:00 PM Lecture 2 David Solomon

5:30 PM Dinner Break/Dealers

7:00 PM cocktail party / cash bar poolside

8:30 PM Attendee Jam Show

10:00 PM Lecture 3 Allan Ackerman

Monday 13th

11:00 AM Lecture 4 Gaetan Bloom

12:30 Lunch/Dealers

2:00 Attendee Jam Show

3:00 Break/ Dealers

4:00 Lecture 5 John Bannon

5:30 PM Dinner Break/ Dealers

7:30 PM The Hedonists Reunite
Paul Harris, Michael Ammar and Daryl

9:00 PM Lecture 6 Earl Nelson

11:00 Gazzo Late Night Show

Tuesday 14th

11:00 AM Surprise Event ???

12:30 PM Lunch/Dealers

2:00 PM Attendee Jam Show (All Paul Harris Material)

3:30 Break/Dealers

4:00 PM Lecture 7 Eric Decamps Lecture

5:30 PM Dinner Break

7:30 PM Lecture 8 Michael Ammar Lecture

9:30 PM PRO CLOSE-UP/CABARET SHOW

schedule subject to change
Producer of MINDvention
mentalism convention

Sam Kesler
Favorite Magician: Ed Marlo

Re: 2005 LVMI Schedule of Events

Postby Sam Kesler » March 10th, 2005, 4:42 pm

Thanks Danny for the updated schedule. You guys have done a splendid job for what looks like a great lineup. I have registered and am looking forward to it. See ya there!

Postby Guest » March 10th, 2005, 11:37 pm

Wow - it's like a mid-70's to early 80's reunion convention.

Steve Mills

Postby Steve Mills » March 11th, 2005, 3:52 pm

Danny,

Any hotel deals available?

Didn't see anything on the site.

Thanks.....
Steve

Sam Kesler

Postby Sam Kesler » March 12th, 2005, 10:00 am

I booked a courtyard room (?) at the Palace for $30 a night for Sunday thru Tuesday. If you booked on Saturday it's $80 or something if I remember correctly.

Danny Archer

Postby Danny Archer » March 14th, 2005, 9:43 am

Originally posted by Steve Mills:
Danny,

Any hotel deals available?

Didn't see anything on the site.

Thanks.....
Steve
There are two different sections the Courtyard and the Tower ... call and mention LVMI when booking and Courtyard is $39 night and the Tower is $59 night (Two beds in each room) ...

I just did a search on-line and found Courtyard for $ 29.99 a night ...

When we switched hotels I checked both rooms and they are very nice the main difference being the Tower is a new section of the hotel ...

The Palce Station Palace Station has many more food options than the San Remo and we are looking forward to our first convention in our new location.

LVMI
Producer of MINDvention

mentalism convention

Danny Archer

Postby Danny Archer » March 17th, 2005, 2:32 pm

Looks like Bloom and Nelson will be swapping lecture times ...
Producer of MINDvention

mentalism convention

Danny Archer

Postby Danny Archer » March 29th, 2005, 2:06 pm

75 days to go! (But who's counting?) ...
Producer of MINDvention

mentalism convention

Tim Ellis

Postby Tim Ellis » March 29th, 2005, 5:48 pm

Danny,

Sue-Anne and I wish we could go to your LVMI, but regular commitments at that time of year stop us every time. We wish you great success, it looks like a sensational line-up, and we look forward to catching up at FFFF in a few weeks.

TIM & SUE-ANNE

Danny Archer

Postby Danny Archer » April 1st, 2005, 11:27 am

Originally posted by Tim Ellis:
Danny,

Sue-Anne and I wish we could go to your LVMI, but regular commitments at that time of year stop us every time. We wish you great success, it looks like a sensational line-up, and we look forward to catching up at FFFF in a few weeks.

TIM & SUE-ANNE
Thanks for the kind words Tim and Sue-Anne ... break a leg on your upcoming lecture tour and conventions ... see you soon ...
Producer of MINDvention

mentalism convention

Postby Guest » April 6th, 2005, 1:15 pm

I am looking forward tocoming this year! How many registrants on average show up?

Danny Archer

Postby Danny Archer » April 8th, 2005, 11:21 am

Originally posted by Sean-Dylan Riedweg:
I am looking forward tocoming this year! How many registrants on average show up?
Sean I wish I knew ... twice we have had LVMI less than 2 weeks after Magic Live and attendance during those years has been off ... we are still a new event and people are finding out about us and no matter what the size of the crowd I promise a great three days of magic ...

if you look at the surprise event on Tuesday morning I can tell you that it's not a single person but at least THREE surprise guest, any one of them would be awesome on their own ... together they will be a gas!!
Producer of MINDvention

mentalism convention

Danny Archer

Postby Danny Archer » May 6th, 2005, 7:56 am

Updated Schedule below ... advance registration has been very strong and this will be one of the best close-up events of 2005 ...

Sunday 12th

Noon Registration Opens/Dealers Open

2:00 PM Lecture 1 Chris Randall

3:30 Break

4:00 PM Daniel Garcia Torn Teach-in

5:00 PM Dinner Break/Dealers

7:00 PM Lecture 2 David Solomon

8:30 PM Attendee Jam Show

10:00 PM Gazzo Late Night Show

Monday 13th

11:00 AM Lecture 3 Gaetan Bloom

12:30 Lunch/Dealers

2:00 Attendee Jam Show

3:00 Break/ Dealers

4:00 Lecture 4 Earl Nelson

5:30 PM Dinner Break/ Dealers

7:30 PM The Hedonists Reunite
Panel with Paul Harris, Michael Ammar and Daryl

9:30 PM Lecture 5 Allan Ackerman

Tuesday 14th

11:00 PM Surprise Event ???

12:30 PM Lunch/Dealers

2:00 PM Attendee Jam Show (All Paul Harris Material??)

3:00 Break/Dealers

4:00 PM Lecture 6 John Bannon

5:30 PM Dinner Break

7:30 PM Lecture 7 Michael Ammar Lecture

9:30 PM PRO CLOSE-UP/CABARET SHOW

schedule subject to change
Producer of MINDvention

mentalism convention

Postby Guest » May 6th, 2005, 8:37 am

What happened to Eric DeCamps?

Ralph Mackintosh

Postby Ralph Mackintosh » May 12th, 2005, 7:03 pm

You're killing me Danny with all these schedule changes. I was coming especially to see John Bannon and now you've switched him to Tuesday when I'm booked for another event. The same thing happened last year at Mindvention - last minute cancellation of the one performer I most wanted to see.

Danny Archer

Postby Danny Archer » May 21st, 2005, 10:00 am

Eric had a conflict and we hope to have him back at a future LVMI ...

sorry about the schedule changes but stuff happens ... I still think this is one of the strongest line-ups we have had (and wait until you see you is our surprise guests) ...

22 days to go ....
Producer of MINDvention

mentalism convention

Danny Archer

Postby Danny Archer » May 31st, 2005, 6:36 pm

LVMI 2005 presents The Daniel Garcia "TORN" Workshop

Daniel Garcia will be holding a special workshop on his resently realeased DVD "TORN" presented by Paul Harris. The Teach-in will include a step-by-step, hands-on run through that will give anyone a chance to ask any kind of question they would like. The Lecture will be FREE to all of those who own the TORN DVD. Just bring your DVD to the lecture and the admission is FREE. If you do not own TORN then addministration will be $25 and you will recieve the TORN DVD for FREE!!! also as a bonus Daniel Garcia will be going over his effect Torn Too and other T&R effects that he performs...and where the workshop will go from there is UP TO YOU GUYS!!!

Admission is FREE with your TORN DVD
FREE TORN DVD with $25 Admission
Hands-On run through with Q&A
Bonus Material
This is a one time LVMI offer and the seeting will be limited
Producer of MINDvention

mentalism convention

John Carey

Postby John Carey » May 31st, 2005, 11:14 pm

wow!!!

Danny Archer

Postby Danny Archer » June 1st, 2005, 1:19 pm

Someone just pointed out that the special event on Tuesday said 11 PM ... that's wrong ... it will take place at 11 AM ...

By way of apology ... how 'bout if I mention that you will see the trick columnist for MAGIC magazine Joshua Jay , one of the finest coin magicians in the world from Denmark Rune Klan and the ever popular Gregory Wilson plus a suprise guest or two ...

in 2003 we had a sell out and turned away over 100 people that tried to register at the last minute or out the door ... I'm not saying that this will happen this year but with the numbers we have already it's a real possibility ...

LVMI
Producer of MINDvention

mentalism convention

Postby Guest » June 2nd, 2005, 10:43 am

What is the total amount of registrants allowed before it is booked solid?

Danny Archer

Postby Danny Archer » June 2nd, 2005, 6:29 pm

Originally posted by Sean-Dylan Riedweg:
What is the total amount of registrants allowed before it is booked solid?
Hey Sean ... only once have we been faced with that problem (2003), and it was no fun telling people that they couldn't come ... since this is a new hotel with a larger space and higher ceilings I'd have to say that I'm not sure what the limit is ...

I'm flying to Vegas on Monday night and will visit the Palace Station and try to get a feel for what would be best for the performers and the attendees ... if you haven't been to an LVMI, we do use multiple large screen TV's and we have an excellent sound system, but I agree that size is a factor in a close-up convention ...

so far we have around 125 or so registered and the phones are still ringing and with the line-up we have it should sell out, but I've learned to take it one day at a time ...
Producer of MINDvention

mentalism convention

Postby Guest » June 3rd, 2005, 5:37 am

Good to know that viewing the lectures and performances will not be a problem! I am looking forward to attending as I have not been to a magic convention in 10 years (let alone a close-up convention) and it is in my favorite city!

mark

Postby mark » June 3rd, 2005, 6:56 pm

So Danny, you're expecting the A/V folks to show up this year, right? I must say, you folk do make it possible to catch all the action. I look forward to enjoying the new venue, and having a bit of elbow room '8) See you there!

Danny Archer

Postby Danny Archer » June 4th, 2005, 8:26 am

Originally posted by Mark Jens:
So Danny, you're expecting the A/V folks to show up this year, right? I must say, you folk do make it possible to catch all the action. I look forward to enjoying the new venue, and having a bit of elbow room '8) See you there!
Whew! ... I still wake up some nights thinking about how the morning of the convention I found out that the A/V guys had decided not to show up ... bringing in some friends from CO to help with the A/V ... we will once again be using a switcher and two cameras to bring you every move ...

the Palace Station meeting space is much larger, the hotel rooms are more affordable and there are many more food options and we are looking forward to a great time at our new venue ...

In the last 48 hours I have heard from several big names who will be stopping by LVMI ... that's why we use the subtitle Where the Stars Hang Out ...

also a reminder to all the Las Vegas magicians that the dealer room will be open to all, and we encourage you to come out and look at some of the latest and greatest that the dealers have to offer ...
Producer of MINDvention

mentalism convention

Postby Guest » June 4th, 2005, 12:18 pm

In what month is the LVMI (presume this is Las Vegas Magic International)being held?

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » June 4th, 2005, 12:48 pm

Originally posted by Martin R Breese:
In what month is the LVMI (presume this is Las Vegas Magic International)being held?
Martin, it is this month, June 12-14th, and the "I" stands for "Invitational" not "International", thoubh I believe the invitation is extended to all!

Postby Guest » June 5th, 2005, 2:31 am

Thanks Richard for the information. Pity I can't be there but will be wandering around the SAM instead. Hope to see many of my US magic friends there.

Danny Archer

Postby Danny Archer » June 5th, 2005, 9:53 pm

Originally posted by Martin R Breese:
Thanks Richard for the information. Pity I can't be there but will be wandering around the SAM instead. Hope to see many of my US magic friends there.
Hi Martin ... Vegas is a short flight from Reno ... wink, wink ... nudge, nudge ...
Producer of MINDvention

mentalism convention

Postby Guest » June 14th, 2005, 3:29 am

so how did it go???
I'm surprised there aren't any news on this

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » June 16th, 2005, 9:34 am

Well I'll pipe in quickly here. In a word it was great. Lot's of highlights. The Hedonists Reunion was great. Seeing Earl Nelson lecture and perform was a rare treat. He is the consumate technician and performer. Best word I heard used to describe him and his performance was "finese". The suprise event was a real treat. Joshua Jay, Rune Klan and Gregory Wilson in a three for lecture. All great material and really entertaining. Other highlights include the John Bannon lecture and new book, the free copy of issue #2 of Antinomy was a nice surprise and of course all the great times with old and new friends.I'm leaving a lot out here but it was really great.

The new venue was very good. Glad to hear they signed a multi year deal to bring it back there again.

Danny Archer and Robert Allen put together a great convention. They are always around making sure things are going well, start on time and soliciting all feedback.

Thanks Danny and Robert. I will be coming back for a while.

Postby Guest » June 16th, 2005, 10:10 am

Had a great time. Met many 'interesting' people. Starting to catch up on sleep.

Potter, the comedian, was a highlight for me. I nominate bringing him back.

-rk

Postby Guest » June 16th, 2005, 10:49 am

Potter, the comedian, was a highlight for me. I nominate bringing him back.
Interesting. Everyone I spoke to agreed that his performance was an absolute abomination of poor judgement and taste. Tell me: in whose warped imagination is an afternoon lecture, well attended by children, the appropriate venue for a 'surprise' guest comedian who does a bit about lint stuck to the pubic hair of a stripper ('must've been her g-spot'), rape, sodomy, etc. etc? I'm a young man and am not a 'prude' by anyone's standards (I enjoyed several debauched evenings there myself) but if my children had been present at this farce, I would've been absolutely furious.

Postby Guest » June 16th, 2005, 12:57 pm

Mr. FeverDream,
Thanks for jogging my memory of the exotic dancer bit. I agree, his scheduling was poor judgment. Perhaps Mr. Potter should have gone on later in the evening, possibly with a cautionary warning. Judging from the level of respect the 'young man' towards the stage offered Mr. Harris and Mr. Ammar during the Q&A period, I can't imagine he had any qualms regarding Mr. Potters material.

I know you realize I am being facetious regarding my prior post. However, I felt there were many subtleties and techniques for magicians to actually learn from Mr. Potter on performing, characterization, vocal intonation, timing, creativity, controversy, and entertainment. Many professional magicians don't exhibit any of these elements.

The new era of Sin City isn't for punch and cookies. In Mr. Archers previous post, Gazzo was on the original line up. Would parents still allow their kids to attend? We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

-rk

Postby Guest » June 16th, 2005, 1:40 pm

I know you conceded facetiousness in re: the kid at the Hedonists panel, but since you aren't the only person I've heard address this, I think it's worth speaking upon.

From where I sat, I saw a kid of 13 (at the very most) make an awkward attempt at humor that misfired. Small wonder, given the obscene performance he'd seen the previous day and the enthusiastic, if slightly muted, reaction it received. And anyway, Ammar has long been a target, both openly (see the Kenner book) and not so openly (lechery and crudeness regarding his wife), so let's subdue our outrage over a baldness joke made by an adolescent, eh?

If Vegas were 'punch and cookies' I assure you I wouldn't have any truck with it myself. I indulge in all sorts behavior the 'old guard' would doubtless frown upon. None of this changes my belief in a parent's reasonable expectation that a 2:00 lecture by a Vegas magician, ostensibly devoted to his hideously dull "magic," would not devolve into a vile and misogynistic comedy act.

Gazzo was scheduled for a late night performance, and frankly I think your comparison makes this even more ridiculous. Never having seen him work, I don't know if talks about punching attractive women in the face and then "a**-f***ing" them, but the respect he's earned leads me to believe that he doesn't.

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » June 16th, 2005, 1:51 pm

Whatever one's opinions regarding this unfortunate "performance", Danny and Robert (even though they weren't directly responsible) apologized to everyone at LVMI. I actually think Chris Randall should step up and apologize as from what we were led to believe he brought the "comedian" with to "perform".

It was one small piece of an overall great weekend. I hope this thread doesn't deteriorate into a flame war and we can get back to focusing on the entire event and not one unfortunate "performance".

Postby Guest » June 16th, 2005, 1:55 pm

Originally posted by FeverDream:
Never having seen him work, I don't know if talks about punching attractive women in the face and then "a**-f***ing" them, but the respect he's earned leads me to believe that he doesn't.
:eek:

So thats how that one joke ended! I almost forgot...

Actually FeverDream, I agree with you 100%.

S.Segal

Postby Guest » June 16th, 2005, 2:24 pm

Danny and Robert (even though they weren't directly responsible) apologized to everyone at LVMI.
To be fair, I was not aware of this. Opting to pound heaters and cheap wine in the lobby instead of jockeying for seats near the front, I was not terribly punctual, so I missed this. Somewhat encouraging, but I did overhear Mr. Allen deflecting criticism later on in the weekend on the basis of a general unreceptiveness towards comedians by magicians gathered at a convention, which sounds like a dodge to these ears, and is in fact demonstrably untrue given the warm reception which greeted Chris Randall's awful and unintentionally hilarious solo turn at the cabaret show.

Postby Guest » June 16th, 2005, 2:25 pm

Roger Klause was a highlight for me and my friends at the convention. It was surprising to me to see that he did not receive more attention while he was there hanging out. Perhaps it is because he was the guest of honor last year and I did not attend at that time, therefore I was unable to see the effect he had on the attendees.
Nevertheless, he was the hidden gem in my opinion and I enjoyed the hours spent with him. He was worth the 150.00 in and of himself.
As for what I have been able to read so far in the forums, I would like to see more participants have just as honest of an appraisal regarding the poor taste that was put on display by Potter and Chris Randall as they would the appraisal of an excellent such as Daniel Garcia and the many other impressive lecturers.
Time and place my fellow magi, time and place...Garcia picked it right, Potter and Randall did not!
Once again, Klause killed me, you were a class act my friend.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » June 16th, 2005, 4:09 pm

I heard the dealers didn't pay the rent! But Gaetan Bloom was terrific (altho I heard he should have had Just In Case instead of his.... R.F.)
Stay tooned.

Sam Kesler

Postby Sam Kesler » June 16th, 2005, 4:29 pm

I had a great time at my first LVMI. Some highlights from my notes...

Chris Randall did a neat D-lite to ladybug effect and an ace effect with Asher Twist.

Daniel Garcia taught Torn, Ego-Slip, and Greed.

David Solomon performed really nice card stuff including Just Friends, Jokers Are Wild, and Clearly Up The Ladder.

Gaeton Bloom entertained with the clever standing card, Wink, 3 Card Monte, Ring flight, and Intercessor.

Earl Nelson (what a class act!) did Marlo and Jack Carpenter material including ace assemblies and four of a kind.

Allan Ackerman did one-and-a half hours of I Dance for the Devious-Two, A Bigger Surprise Finesse the Finessed, and Impromptu Finesse Finessed from his 2004 lecture notes.

John Bannon (what a nice guy!) did material from his new book Dear Mr. Fantasy, including Beyond Fabulous, Directed Verdict, Bullit Train, and Last Man Standing.

Michael Ammar did card from bottom of shoe, card in balloon, slip cut aces, zarrow shuffle, coin thru silk, and bill in peanut.

The Hedonists reunited for Q & A with Daryl (what a funny guy with so much joy!), Michael, and guest-of-honor Paul Harris.

The whole thing was topped off with a wonderful two-hour show show by all of the performers.

Seen but not performing: Penn & Teller, Michael Close, Mac King, Bob Kohler, Roger Klause, and Apollo Robbins.

Thank you Danny and Robert and to all the guest lecturers for an unforgettable experience.

Return to “Buzz”