Expert at the Card Table with Allan Ackerman

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Geno Munari

Expert at the Card Table with Allan Ackerman

Postby Geno Munari » February 4th, 2006, 4:07 pm

Shooting has completed with one of the most talented card artists in the world, Allan Ackerman.

Expert at the Card Table is a four camera shoot with all the extras. A forever DVD that everyone who has read the tome must have. To be released in March.

Re: Expert at the Card Table with Allan Ackerman

Postby Guest » February 5th, 2006, 4:22 am

I haven't heard of this project but had been wanting one the current greats to do this for some time.

Do you have any particulars about the March release? How many Dvd's will it be on? Or is every move, sleight and trick explained and performed?

Or perhaps you can provide a link to a demo when it is available.

If its release in March 06, I'm sure it will be the talk of the town in Houston at the TSD 7 convention. I had been wondering what Allan was going to be lecturing on. This convention looks to have some great sessioning on Erdnase!

Postby Guest » February 6th, 2006, 1:11 am

Looks like this production is still shooting a few more items.

I think a more realistic release date will be May 06.

Pepka

Postby Pepka » February 6th, 2006, 5:00 pm

This is awsome news! If there was anyone qualified for the project, it's Allan. I've been a fan of his for years and at Magic LIVE a few years ago, a mutual friend brought him over and he asked ME to show him a card trick! Needless to say, I forgot how to shuffle at that point. We ended up BSing and sessioning for a few hours. This will be very high on my list of items to pick up.

Postby Guest » April 25th, 2006, 4:23 pm

Has anyone heard anything more about this project?

Postby Guest » April 25th, 2006, 4:52 pm

wow!!! i cant wait to get it. what a great idea, and a perfect card guy for the job.

pre orders?

Postby Guest » April 25th, 2006, 5:34 pm

They have finished shooting (over 70 hours of footage!) and have started editing. This will be a FANTASTIC effort and I will be first in line to buy whatever the price.

Michael

Postby Guest » July 6th, 2006, 12:11 am

I can't wait for this project to come out..I'm a huge huge fan of Mr.Ackerman's work and I can't imagine a better person for this book to be published on DVD....any news on a release date?

Geno Munari

Postby Geno Munari » July 6th, 2006, 7:57 am

We are still finishing the editing but over the hump and rounding third.

As soon as I have a release day I will let you know.
Thanks for asking.

magicking
Favorite Magician: Tommy Wonder

Postby magicking » July 6th, 2006, 9:40 am

How many volume set will this be? Have any idea of the price yet?
Michael King
All Things Are Possible If You Believe!

Postby Guest » July 6th, 2006, 11:05 am

Geno,

Are you going for a complete coverage of the material or sort of a "greatest hits" sort of thing.

At 400+ pages and 300+ illustrations, that's quite a bit of material to cover in video form.

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » July 6th, 2006, 11:10 am

Originally posted by Chris Aguilar:
Geno,

Are you going for a complete coverage of the material or sort of a "greatest hits" sort of thing.

At 400+ pages and 300+ illustrations, that's quite a bit of material to cover in video form.
Aer you thinking of "Expert Card Technique", by Hugard & Braue? "Expert at the Card Table", by Erdnase, only has about 150 pages.

-Jim

Postby Guest » July 6th, 2006, 11:49 am

Originally posted by Jim Maloney:
Aer you thinking of "Expert Card Technique", by Hugard & Braue? "Expert at the Card Table", by Erdnase, only has about 150 pages.

-Jim
Ah, that's what I get for posting without the benefit of my morning cuppa joe. Well that and for other reasons I have ECT strongly on the mind these days.

Larry Horowitz

Postby Larry Horowitz » July 6th, 2006, 11:31 pm

It is my understanding that the tapes will cover the entire book.

Allan said that he was amazed at what he learned in trying to demo and teach that which he has studied and knew cold for years.

Postby Guest » July 6th, 2006, 11:53 pm

I have heard a whisper that another top card magician is working on a DVD set covering 'Expert Card Technique'.

Would anyone with further details care to elaborate?

Thanks,

Royce K.

Postby Guest » July 7th, 2006, 4:13 am

Originally posted by Royce Kirbow:
I have heard a whisper that another top card magician is working on a DVD set covering 'Expert Card Technique'.

Would anyone with further details care to elaborate?

Thanks,

Royce K.
There is also another set being produced from Magic Makers with Wesley James, so as with Royal Road, we're going to see two sets of Expert at the Card Table.

Postby Guest » July 7th, 2006, 6:09 am

Magic is doomed.

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » July 7th, 2006, 6:30 am

Wes flew out to South Dakota to do the filming a few weeks ago. Simon Lovell is also involved, and I believe appears on camera, though Wes is the one performing and explaning all the stuff. Wes is also going to be heavily involved in the editing process.

From what I understand, the tricks from the book were all filmed before a live audience. He also put a lot of effort into placing the techniques, tricks, etc. in a historical perspective, commenting on where things came from and, in some cases, giving updated or improved handlings. He's also quite honest when he feels certain techniques are inferior and tells you why.

-Jim

Postby Guest » July 7th, 2006, 6:39 am

Doooooomed, I tells ya...

Postby Guest » July 7th, 2006, 11:05 am

Let's see - I can buy a relatively quick knock off of ECT from Magic Makers to save a few bucks...

-or-

I can get a version from a student of Marlo - one of magic's best cardmen ever ?

While it's unfair to comment on a production before it's out - I think this one's a no-brainer.

Postby Guest » July 7th, 2006, 11:13 am

Or you could actually read the book, like great card men have done over the last hundred years. The dover edition is like 10 bucks.

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » July 7th, 2006, 11:54 am

Originally posted by Terrence:
Let's see - I can buy a relatively quick knock off of ECT from Magic Makers to save a few bucks...
Having witnessed some of the several months of preparation, I can assure you that this is not a "quick knock off".

I can get a version from a student of Marlo - one of magic's best cardmen ever ?
I'd consider Wesley James one of magic's best cardmen. He learned from Vernon as well as many other NY greats. So I'm not sure you're statement above is really that relevant.

While I'll agree that Magic Makers doesn't exactly have a great reputation, I think you're mistaken in this case.

-Jim

Postby Guest » July 7th, 2006, 12:14 pm

Although "a few weeks" seems to have morphed into "several months" - it is the timing that concerns me.

And you're right Jim that I may be mistaken - but for myself it's not a difficult choice.

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » July 7th, 2006, 12:25 pm

Nothing's morphed...the filming was a few weeks ago. The preparation began several months before that.

Given that Magic Makers has already made videos of Royal Road and Modern Coin Magic, I don't think it's much of a surprise that they decided to tackle Expert at the Card Table as well. I wasn't privy to the decision-making process, though, so I can't really comment on the timing of the release. However, if they've put in the effort to make a quality product, and what's eventually released is a done well, does the timing of it really matter?

You're certainly entitled to make your own choice. I just think that you may be dismissing one video in favor of another based on incorrect assumptions.

-Jim

Geno Munari

Postby Geno Munari » July 7th, 2006, 5:11 pm

Wrong Jim
All Rob Stiff can do is copy. He has nothing original. He thinks it is ok and so be it. The real market place will decide what they want to purchase.

I welcome Rob's video.

Postby Guest » July 7th, 2006, 5:48 pm

Originally posted by Jim Maloney:

While I'll agree that Magic Makers doesn't exactly have a great reputation, I think you're mistaken in this case.

-Jim
Jim:

Do you really believe your own post? Doesn't the copycat behavior, which could negatively affect the financial rewards of Allan's original project investment, bother you?

Postby Guest » July 7th, 2006, 6:14 pm

I would love to see a 4 camera shoot go to a DVD where the viewer can change the angle! And,I would like to be the guy who edits and formats that DVD. I want no beef with Wes, but let the television guys do television, let the card guys do cards...guys.

Postby Guest » July 7th, 2006, 10:03 pm

Dooooooomed.

Postby Guest » July 8th, 2006, 12:14 am

forget the arguments.

all i got to say is this: Allan Ackerman vs: Who?

... oh wait who cares, Allan Ackerman gets my vote.

im looking forward to it.

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » July 8th, 2006, 6:27 am

Originally posted by Steve Hook:
Jim:

Do you really believe your own post? Doesn't the copycat behavior, which could negatively affect the financial rewards of Allan's original project investment, bother you?
As Geno said, the market will decide what they want to buy. If he's not bothered, why should I be?

Mainly, I just wanted to come on this thread and correct a few assumptions that were being made about the production of the video (i.e., that it's not something being slapped together by some kid who knows nothing about the material).

Then again, maybe Joe Pike's right.

-Jim

Postby Guest » July 8th, 2006, 9:30 am

Originally posted by rage1:
forget the arguments.
Stunned by that one.

Let's see... if you are doing a version of the Cannibal cards or an Ambitious Card routine you are likely using something where Wesley has contributed.

As to the project being well timed...

Since youtube and magic video depot and the L&L videos by Tommy Wonder et al, it seems obvious to do video versions of classic texts.

I'm surprised we have yet to hear of a project to bring The Dai Vernon Book of Magic onto DVD.

But as to this Allan versus Wesley thing, that is IMHO simply nasty. It puts two competent and well intended magicians at odds in the minds of the mean spirited.

Best to both Allan and Wesley.

Any Vernon students out there up to taking on the first of the Ganson books?

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » July 8th, 2006, 10:02 am

Originally posted by rage1:
forget the arguments.

... oh wait who cares, Allan Ackerman gets my vote.

im looking forward to it.
Wesley James has been a major force in 20th Century card magic. If you haven't been exposed to Wesley's work (and, as Jonathan points out, the odds are overwhelming that you have been exposed to it but aren't aware of it), you are in for a treat. I highly recommend Wesley's hardcover from Hermetic press. Take a gander at Hermetic Press and choose "Enchantments" from the drop-down menu.

Wesley is a superb card man who is more than qualified to create this project. Unfortunately, he has chosen Magic Makers as his publisher; and that is a disappointment. I would have expected more of him.

Best,

N.

Postby Guest » July 8th, 2006, 10:20 am

True, i didnt know who Wesley was.

I just know how good Ackerman is and how bad magic makers were the last time.

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » July 8th, 2006, 12:51 pm

You could probably benifit by watching both dvds if you were serious about card magic. Wouldn't it be nice to compare instruction and technique? I need all the help with the DPS I can get.

Jonathan, I'd like to see Johnny Thompson do a Stars of Magic dvd. he could probably do the Vernon Book of Magic justice too.
Get the Dirty Work - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

Postby Guest » July 8th, 2006, 1:38 pm

James may have been active in magic for a long time, but he's not the first (or even ninth or tenth) person who springs to mind when you think of someone who is an expert on EATCT. Same goes for Lovell.

And then, as some have already noted, the notion of piggy-backing on someone else's idea just isn't the gentlemanly thing to do.

Still, one thing's for sure, neither Lovell nor James are likely to make much dough out of this. They're both bound to get stiffed by Stiff.

Joe

Terry

Postby Terry » July 8th, 2006, 6:22 pm

What most have missed and others have stated is that the U.S. of A. is a free market society. The Ackerman fans will buy his DVDs and the James fans will buy his. Some may buy both.

Either way, it seems neither of the gentlemen mentioned have lowered themselves to argue about it on a public message board.

Maybe a lesson there?

Postby Guest » July 8th, 2006, 6:47 pm

Originally posted by Joe Pike:

Still, one thing's for sure, neither Lovell nor James are likely to make much dough out of this. They're both bound to get stiffed by Stiff.

Joe
A couple of comments here. Regarding Joe's post, this isn't the first project Simon has done with Magic Makers. He wouldn't have gotten involved with another project with Stiff had he had problems the first time around. I've heard that Stiff compensates everyone very well.

Originally posted by Geno Munari:
All Rob Stiff can do is copy. He has nothing original. He thinks it is ok and so be it. The real market place will decide what they want to purchase.

I welcome Rob's video.
However, what Geno says is correct and Geno has the right attitude because Geno has confidence in his product. It's the same with L&L's Royal Road. Louis Falanga didn't have a problem with a side-by-side comparison, although Rob Stiff did. Will he with this new set? I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Stiff should have learned by now that he has a better chance of a fair review in the magazines than he does online.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » July 8th, 2006, 7:14 pm

I cant speak for Joe Turner or any other reviewers, but I would love the opportunity to do a side-by-side review of these projects. I couldnt do it for Royal Road for two reasons. First, Genii was only was provided the L&L edition. Second, I was completely unaware of the MM edition until well after I wrote the review, other wise I would have begged to borrow a copy. If I get the opportunity to review Genos edition of ECT, perhaps Ill be begging for a MM edition.

Dustin

Postby Guest » July 8th, 2006, 7:44 pm

Dustin,
We had hoped to do a comparision review for MUM but were not provided a review copy for the Magic Makers version of Royal Road To Card Magic.

As I have noted before, it was a bad choice on Magic Makers part because I found things I liked about BOTH versions. But I'm not about do give them a free quote if they don't have faith in their own products.

I'm very much looking forward to both versions of Expert...

Postby Guest » July 8th, 2006, 7:47 pm

Originally posted by Ryan Matney:
I'd like to see Johnny Thompson do a Stars of Magic dvd.
Ryan,
You should pick up his Classics Of Magic set from L&L. Much of the material is from Stars (including the ACTUAL handling Vernon used for Triumph, not the one that was published for "the masses").

Johnny Thompson is a national treasure.

Return to “Buzz”