Belinda Sinclair?

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Tom Stone

Belinda Sinclair?

Postby Tom Stone » August 6th, 2006, 10:55 am

One of the artists in the close-up show at FISM was a woman named Belinda Sinclair. I did not catch her act, but the comments I heard ranged from "...interesting" to "horrible". I don't know if she had chosen the wrong material for the venue, or if it was an error in booking her, but the comments were rather negative.

She was quite interesting to talk with though, and as I am a good listener, I got to hear a lot of interesting things. Apparantly, she used to socialize with Slydini and Derek Dingle. And she was also a good friend with Tommy Wonder.

I also took a peek at her website:
http://www.belindasinclair.com/mainFrame2.html
...which also sounds fantastic.

However, since I've never heard her name before, I'm a bit curious. Is anything of this real?

Re: Belinda Sinclair?

Postby Guest » August 6th, 2006, 11:27 am

Perhaps someone should mention to her that putting black text on a dark gray background (no contrast)makes reading her website quite annoying.

Postby Guest » August 6th, 2006, 11:59 am

Great performance style.
Weird magic is what i recall...

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 6th, 2006, 2:07 pm

She was so bad that MAGIC magazine sent Josh Jay to interview her about what it was like to be the most poorly received booked act at FISM.
She was horrible: the magic was mediocre and the pretentious silliness with four singers and dancers was ridiculous.
The Europeans kept asking me, "Is she famous in the US?" because her publicity cites a quote from TIME OUT New York saying she's the best female magician alive or some baloney like that. I informed the dozen or so folks who asked me that no one in the US has heard of her and they were shocked.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » August 6th, 2006, 2:21 pm

Whoa--that dude's name is Belinda? He looks like a chick!
(rimshot)

Thank YOU.

Postby Guest » August 6th, 2006, 2:36 pm

One of the artists in the close-up show at FISM was a woman named Belinda Sinclair. I did not catch her act, but

With four singers and dancers it would be quite

an act to work tables in restaurants. Her

academic credentials are something else though.

Mike

Postby Guest » August 6th, 2006, 3:39 pm

She was so bad that MAGIC magazine sent Josh Jay to interview her about what it was like to be the most poorly received booked act at FISM.
Wow, I think that MAGIC magazine has slipped a bit over the last few years, but man I didn't know things had gotten that bad. Still, can't wait to read it.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » August 6th, 2006, 4:49 pm

I had the pleasure of meeting Belinda about three years ago. Ive never seen her work, but she is very elegant and intelligent: and stunning. I have yet to see a photo that does her exotic beauty justice. When I was introduced to her, I was stunned into silence. I had to come up with some lame excuse for my momentary stare, which was Im sorry to stare like that, but you look very familiar; havent we met before? Im sure she saw right through me (as did her gentleman friend who introduced us), but she handled it very well. Too bad I was a blithering idiot!

Pepka: Reread you comment. If you cant wait to read the piece, what, exactly, is MAGIC doing wrong? That being asked, its my opinion that they should not have asked for an interview in the first place: its tabloid news. However, people enjoy reading about train wrecks; its human nature. (So maybe thats what you mean?) I hope Belinda told them no comment.

Dustin

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » August 6th, 2006, 4:58 pm

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
I didn't see the act, so I can't say much about it. But my guess is that if she was bad, she probably was bad long before she got booked for FISM. If so, it would have been more interesting to learn what motivation the bookers had to book her.

Postby Guest » August 6th, 2006, 5:10 pm

I hope her act is better than her gawd awful video promo.

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » August 6th, 2006, 5:13 pm

Belinda Sinclair mention in Time Out New York

This is the link to the article that names her as the "Best Female Magician." They also talk to Silly Billy and visited Monday Night Magic.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 6th, 2006, 6:21 pm

Wittus Witt had been heavily promoting Belinda and even put her on the cover of Magishiwelt (I've probably misspelled that).

I thought Stan Allen's idea of interviewing her was an interesting one. I won't reveal what she said to Josh--you'll have to wait for the September issue of MAGIC for that!

I will tell you that she and her dancer/singers swore at the audience away from their microphones and it could be heard by the people sitting in the front row. It wasn't "Thank you for coming," either. Think F-bomb.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » August 6th, 2006, 8:51 pm

sweet... argh... :whack:
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » August 6th, 2006, 9:44 pm

Originally posted by Mike Walsh II:
Her academic credentials are something else though.
The MC who introduced her at FISM (at least on the first night) said that she was a doctor three time over: a doctor of theology, a doctor of anthropology (I believe that was the second category), and a doctor of medecine. Her website does say that she has a PH. D. in theology and is a certified paramedic who has studied anthropology, but no mention of doctoral degrees in those fields. Wonder if the MC misunderstood the introductory material he was given? Ironically, Lennart Green, who deservedly received a tremendous audience response on the same program, is an MD, but no mention was made of that fact in introducing him.

Postby Guest » August 6th, 2006, 10:08 pm

Me thinks a bit of truth stretching is being used in her "promotional" materials. While Time Out New York named her Best Female Magician nowhere does it say that she is the WORLDS best female magician as she claims on her bio page. Also, I have worked on the Academy Awards for the past 10 years and I can unequivocably say that we do not use any performers during commercial breaks. Maybe she was working an Academy Awards party somewhere but that is completely different from saying you worked the Awards show themselves.

And Dustin, if you think that Belinda is "stunning" then you really must get out more. You live in SoCal where there are women 1000 times more stunning than her and those are just the ones that most people call "plain." :p

Postby Guest » August 6th, 2006, 10:38 pm

Originally posted by Jeff Haas:
Belinda Sinclair mention in Time Out New York

The article also calls Coinman Sol Stone by the name Sal.

Postby Guest » August 6th, 2006, 10:51 pm

Cant speak to her performance abilities (havent seen her perform), but I can say shes working on a history of female magicians, which sounds like it will be rather comprehensive. Clay

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » August 6th, 2006, 11:55 pm

For someone so educated her grammar sucks.

Take care, Ian

Postby Guest » August 6th, 2006, 11:58 pm

Belinda appeared on the close-up show at last year's Magic Circle Centenary in London.

It is very likely that if she lived in Ireland or England she would get large grants of money from the arts councils.

The arts councils are allocated funds from the government and national lotteries to pass on to 'suitable' performers and groups.

The criteria for getting a grant seems to be that if can prove you have an act or show no one in their right mind would pay to see, you qualify.

The less likely anyone is to pay, the higher the grant.

Belinda could do very well.

Postby Guest » August 7th, 2006, 7:19 am

Tough crowd....

I agree that some liberties with the facts were taken on Belindas website (e.g., being elected to AIMC status in The Magic Circle is not the highest honor one can get in that society). The slips of the pen are especially regrettable because she doesnt need to pad her life accomplishments to document a life full of achievements.

Candid assessments of her performance at FISM aside (which is fair game, but preferably if made constructively or without rancor), isnt it rather harsh to opine so viciously about her looks? Ive met and spoken with Belinda on a few occasions, and IMHO she is a beautiful woman. In any event, my personal taste aside, Belinda is far from homely looking, and I agree with Dustin that the images on her website dont do her justice. Maybe the negative digs about her looks were intended to be more in jest than anything else, but who would want to hear someone making those kinds of comments about his or her wife, girlfriend, sister, mother, etc?

Maybe her act is justly subject to criticism, maybe it is not appreciated by many folks, maybe it wasnt right for the FISM crowd or maybe its just plain bad. But Id rather see someone experimenting with creativity, vision and fidelity to ones self and sticking to it than following the road of the thousands of clones we call magicians.

Clay

Postby Guest » August 7th, 2006, 7:24 am

To play devil's advocate for a minute can I start out by commenting on how unbeliveably rude some magicians were throughout the whole of FISM not just through Belinda's act, several times through lectures, presentations, close-up, gala etc. you could audibly hear people talking away, and making comments etc. come on people learn some manners, it seems fellow magicians are the worst for this, would you like it if I came into your show and starting talking to my friends or laughing at what you were doing? Lots of times there had to be people loudly shushing the offenders, its just not on!

As to Belinda, I can say that I met her and told her how much I enjoyed her act, which was genuine, I enjoyed the setting and the premise, if I had one criticism it may be that the magic itself wasn't strong enough to hold up to the rest of it, but again that was personal preference.

Just thinking aloud maybe it was the fact the act wasn't in any kind of context, if you pay to see her evening show then you know what you are getting, to put this on first on a close-up gala may have been a mistake.

I certainly believe that as Magicians we need to be advancing not only our methods, but for me the most important part the presentations, and fine what Belinda did may not be to everyone's taste but I certainly appreciated the time she had taken in putting it together, and writing the script and making it into a show... we don't all have to go up to people deck in hand and utter 'watch this' and proceed to do the trick with no other presentation.

What Belinda did was what most of us should struggle to do with our magic, tell the audience more about who we are, what we do, why we do magic and how that effects us and the people around us, I for one applaud her for doing that.

Discuss!

Postby Guest » August 7th, 2006, 7:28 am

Originally posted by Magicam:
But Id rather see someone experimenting with creativity, vision and fidelity to ones self and sticking to it than following the road of the thousands of clones we call magicians.
Hi Clay, you beat me too it whilst I was writing, but said what I wanted to so much better and shorter :)

Postby Guest » August 7th, 2006, 8:00 am

Well said Clay & Rich

Some of you others need to learn some manners- you know who you are.....

I cannot imagine what this woman (who I also agree looks rather attractive from what I can see of her in pics and video - though no pneumatic Californian beach blonde, admittedly (thank God!)) has done to you all personally to earn such damning criticism, but the puerile level of the posts would not be out of place on myspace.com

I did not see her act at FISM, so cannot comment, but it sounds like the audience there showed the same level of respect to fellow professionals as shown here in this thread.

This thread is one of those which I would not dare show my wife or muggle friends for fear they might think the world of magic is something pathetic and childish, and wonder at my sanity for frequenting such a forum.

Postby Guest » August 7th, 2006, 8:19 am

I had the pleasure of performing with Belinda for the Oreo cookie promotion in the late 80's. The try-outs were in the atrium of Grand Central Station if my memory serves me.
This was a very challenging venue because there was constant pedestrian traffic while the performers were on.
From the hundreds of magicians who tried out, seven were selected for the NY, NJ and Conn markets.
I asked the Nabisco executives whom they thought was the best of all. They replied that Avatar was the best. However, they explained that he was not selected for the promotion because he had a silent act. The best performer out of those that were selected according to the judges was Belinda Sinclair.

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » August 7th, 2006, 8:35 am

I have seen Belinda perform for laypeople. She is well received.

John Bowden
Location: Main Street, Urlingford, Co. Kilkenny, Ireland, E41 Y9K2.

Postby John Bowden » August 7th, 2006, 9:00 am

I had the pleasure of meeting Belinda Sinclair and thought very highly of her. She exudes charm, intelligence and personality. She is also a pleasant looking woman and doesn't deserve the critism levelled at her appearence.

However...................... her act in the Close-Up Gala which was the closing act on the first of the two nights was not suitable for a Close-Up Gala. It was demoted to the opening act the following night.

This is an act that might......(hmmmmmmmm)... succeed at a fringe festival for the arts. It has singing, music, magic and poetry but the magic content was the weakest of the four.

For FISM, is was as described by Richard Kaufman, horrible and bad.

BUT lets not judge this lovely person by her act, she deserves better and we belittle ourselves by doing so.

I wish her well,

Cheers from the Emerald Isle,
John Bowden................the Irish magician.

Postby Guest » August 7th, 2006, 9:26 am

I understood there were some backstage problems, no rehearsal time and "other problems" don't know which, but the second day (there were three close up galas)it was better and the third much better...
Same was for all the close-up performers, only on the last close-up gala the video was kind of ok... they "rehearsed" on the two other galas...

The first presentator was "fired"... and each day we had another presentator....

jacky
www.magicbooks.be

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 7th, 2006, 9:33 am

Who cares what she looks like?

Was Derek Dingle a beauty?

Is Juan Tamariz going to be on the cover of GQ?

She gave an abysmal performance and was contemptuous of her audience.

The idea that a performance of "Matrix" or "McDonald's Aces" is somehow enhanced by four additional people on stage singing and dancing and otherwise trying to distract the audience from the poor performance and technical abilities of the magician just didn't fly with the audience at FISM and with good reason!

Postby Guest » August 7th, 2006, 9:48 am

I vaguely remember Belinda as a regular at the New York Magic Symposiums in the 80s. Dont remember seeing her perform but I believe she may have been involved as part of the production crew. She was very pleasant and likable. Too bad about the FISM misfortune. Id love to see her act. Does anyone know if she performs regularly?

Postby Guest » August 7th, 2006, 10:05 am

I saw her at both the Magic Circle 100 Anniversary Celebration and at FISM and I will never see her again. Her magic was bad and her treatment of people on stage and the audeince was offensive. There was much to enjoy at FISM so this one performance will be tossed away and forgotten.

Postby Guest » August 7th, 2006, 11:01 am

Originally posted by John Bowden:

BUT lets not judge this lovely person by her act,
If we have never met her, how else are we to judge her? If she is in a performing art and her performance is not good, that in itsself tells us something aboout her character.
In fact, we judge people by their act all of the time. I've never met Tom Cruise, but I can tell quite a bit about him by the parts he choses to play. Same goes with pretty much anyone in a performing art.
If she is a wonderful person, fine and dandy, but unless she is going to go out of her way to meet and greet everyone who was at FISM, then her act is what she is judged by. It may not be perfect, but it is the best many can go by.

Gord

Postby Guest » August 7th, 2006, 11:24 am

I was at FISM and did see Belinda's act and did not like it. I found it to be pretentious, overblown and preachy. Belinda had a whole troupe of off-off Broadway perfomers with her that are impossible to describe, but let me say that their connection to the magic was uncertain. One young lady appeared to be under the influence of some unkown substance. And the bottom line is, the magic wasn't very good.

This was supposed to be a close-up show and Belinda presented some kind of strange performance art. My girlfriend is not a magician and she did not like it and didn't "get" it either, so it wasn't just magicians who didn't react well.

Thank goodness for Lennart Green who performed later in the show and absolutely slayed the audience. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.

Postby Guest » August 7th, 2006, 11:45 am

Checked out the video on her website - any chick that can do a top shot is OK in my book.

Interesting thoughts from Rick Morrell (congrats on your victory at FISM - love your sharpie act)

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » August 7th, 2006, 11:57 am

Enough.
Stay tooned.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » August 7th, 2006, 12:10 pm

If Belinda ever looks at this, in the spirit of niceness I'll offer this tidbit;

The reason you are not getting much distance with your topshot is a common error - if you put your little finger too far up the edge of the deck the card that is propelled tends to flip more about its long axis, which makes it spin down towards the table/floor/wooded area (delete as necessary). To get the card to spin about the centre one should put the little finger across the very corner of the card, almost diagonally. Then, with a sharp downward and outward flick, the card will spin away from the deck. It is possible to get several feet of horizontal travel with practice.

Take care, Ian

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 7th, 2006, 1:52 pm

Derek Performance: Rick Morrell is not Rick Merrill. The former lives in the UK according to his profile. The latter lives in Grand Rapids, Michigan!

Postby Guest » August 7th, 2006, 1:59 pm

Gentlemen:
Of course MY off-hand obnoxious comment was made in jest.
I had no idea such a thing could give all magic and magicians a bad name so fast.

It was a knee-jerk reaction to the full-length portrait on the splash-page of her website which happens to remind me of a few Hell's Angels I've known in the past. If that's NOT the impression she's trying to convey, I appologize.

P.S. One may not want to take things one reads on the internet (particularly in gabby/chatty forums) so seriously to heart. Consider the source. ;)

--Sincerely,
A Brutally Insensitive Ass, trying to destroy all of magic and, tangentially all magicians, one web-post at a time.

:rolleyes:

Postby Guest » August 7th, 2006, 2:18 pm

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
Derek Performance: Rick Morrell is not Rick Merrill. The former lives in the UK according to his profile. The latter lives in Grand Rapids, Michigan!
Richard, I don't think for a minute he was being serious or anyone would have confused us, despite Stephen Mulhearn pronouncing Rick's name as my last name sounds (which was soon corrected by shouts from the audience!)

And I doubt that Derek Performance is a real user anyway, no location and if you look at the content of his 5 posts he seems to have a fixation with Brad Henderson, maybe you should look at deleting anonymous users who look to come on here stirring things up, at least I give my name and credentials before doing that :D

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » August 7th, 2006, 9:03 pm

If we have never met her, how else are we to judge her? If she is in a performing art and her performance is not good, that in itsself tells us something aboout her character.
Gord [/QB]
By your logic she must be a horrible person. She isn't. Far from it. Judging magicians by performances at magic conventions is not a good idea as it often proves wrong. Judging character of the performers is worse.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 7th, 2006, 9:30 pm

We don't know if she's a horrible person or not, and that's irrelevant.

She IS an arrogant person, full of pretension that laymen "get" her act and we don't.

If she wants to engage in pretentious performance art, she should do that in front of an audience which expects and appreciates that sort of thing.

Magicians are not that audience and anyone with any theatrical experience that crosses over into the magic world could've told you that in advance.

Return to “General”