Who is this Paris Street Magician?

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.

Who is this Paris Street Magician?

Postby Guest » October 12th, 2001, 6:58 am

Last summer, I had the pleasure of watching an exceptional street magician on Saint Germaine in the Latin Quarter. A young, not-too-tall, dark-haired man who walked with a cane, this performer sat at a card table and left the crowd speechless. Could someone name him for me?

thanks, Doug

Re: Who is this Paris Street Magician?

Postby Guest » October 12th, 2001, 8:03 am

"Could someone name him for me?"

I think his parents already did that.

Sorry, I just felt like being a wise guy. I must admit that the description of this guy alone I find very intriguing. He sounds like he looks the part and I would be interested in hearing who it is. What kind of stuff did he do?

Postby Guest » October 12th, 2001, 8:38 am

It was almost midnight. I was with two colleagues. Until I saw this man set himself up, all three of us were heading back to our hotel near the Sorbonne. At that point, I talked the others into hesitating. By then, however, I was the only one who could actually get a decent view of the proceedings due to the size of the crowd and my surplus inches. My tired friends were willing to indulge me briefly. What I saw included some very difficult sleight-of-hand with cards performed without tells, hesitations, or guilt.

[ October 12, 2001: Message edited by: Doug Peters ]

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 12th, 2001, 9:13 am

His name is Bebel. He was at the World Magic Seminar in Vegas last year. He is VERY good, and I have a trick of his for Genii. Josh Jay also has some of his material for MAGIC.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » October 12th, 2001, 9:47 am

Yes! That's him! His picture can be found under one of the links at the virtualmagie site. Thanks, Richard.

Simon Aronson

Postby Simon Aronson » October 14th, 2001, 11:25 am

I had the pleasure of meeting and watching Bebel perform at Escorial last year, and he was great. He has a smoothness to his handling, and a casual rhythm that is very disarming. Wonderful plots, that clearly show how much he performs for lay audiences.

I was told that a book of Bebel's magic is in the works (in English) but I don't recall who is doing it. If one of the video producers could record Bebel's performances, we'd all be in for a real treat.

Jeffrey Cowan
Favorite Magician: Bob Kohler & Tim Conover

Postby Jeffrey Cowan » October 14th, 2001, 12:22 pm

In August of 1987 I saw Bebel working for laymen on the street near the Pompidou (sp?) Center in Paris. He did very smooth card and coin work that went over well. Interestingly, he had a small card table he had brought with him. HE sat at it and did his stuff. Great way to create your necessary performing conditions.
He's also a nice guy. We chatted (in french) and he was warm and friendly.
-- Jeffrey Cowan
www.cowan-law.com

Return to “Buzz”