New Carney book?

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.

New Carney book?

Postby Guest » October 18th, 2001, 9:38 am

Anyone know when John Carney is putting out his new book?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: New Carney book?

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 18th, 2001, 1:20 pm

I heard he was publishing it himself this time, but not a peep lately. If anyone is in contact with John, perhaps they can ask him!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » October 18th, 2001, 1:31 pm

Thanks Richard. I saw Carney at Hank Lee's Conclave a few years ago, what a lecture. The guy holds nothing back and had the entire room enthralled. Even back then he was letting on to the "new book", coming out "next year". I guess the rigors of self publication has its ups and downs.

Postby Guest » October 18th, 2001, 9:23 pm

I emailed John about 3 weeks ago and he replied that his book probably won't be out until Christmas. He had hoped it would be out earlier but there were some production problems.

Brad A._dup1

Postby Brad A._dup1 » October 18th, 2001, 9:59 pm

The new book is shown on his website. Just the cover, I think.

-Brad
Former Vonnegut Character

Postby Guest » October 21st, 2001, 10:51 am

Hi.

I spoke with John a couple of weeks ago, where he told that the book will be out in november. He also told me, that he already have produced a video along with the book, but that will first be out next year...

Best,
Daniel

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 21st, 2001, 7:40 pm

It seems we have some conflicting information! I'll e-mail John tonight and get a definite date.

Postby Guest » November 18th, 2001, 6:04 am

According to John, who just emailed me, the book is going to printer in January. It's gonna be a while longer! :(

Postby Guest » December 3rd, 2001, 10:09 pm

That is what I thought. John last told me Feb. I am really anxious to get my hands on John's new book. I don't know how many times I have read and have referred to Carneycopia.

Thanks,
John Zander

Postby Guest » March 18th, 2002, 4:04 am

No news about the book of Carney?

Simon.

Frank Yuen

Postby Frank Yuen » March 18th, 2002, 7:40 am

Here's what John e-mailed to me in early February:

"I am re-doing some illustrations, and am hoping to have a final layout for one last proofreading before the printer. If all goes well, it should be printed by May. Still lots of work to do though."

Frank Yuen

John Carney

Postby John Carney » March 19th, 2002, 5:17 pm

Hi All,
I'm not a regular message board visitor, so a friend told me there was some talk about my new book. I'm flattered. Thanks for the interest.

I have finally finished all the illustrations for the book. The good news is that they look pretty cool. Very different than most other magic book illustrations.

I have had frequent computer crashes, erased files, software, Zip and CD burner problems that has made these illustrations very time consuming and frustrating. The files are about 10MB each and there were over 350 at one point, so you can imagine the memory problems.

I estimate that I've spent nearly 3000 hours on writing, organizing and illustrating the book. Learning the programs have also slowed me down.

The finished book should be about 350 pages with about 250 illustrations. There will be close up and stage stuff, as well as essays and historical profiles.

Along with the other problems many of my e mail addresses (which I thought were backed up) were erased, so most will have to hear through ads and the grapevine if they have not been added to my mailing list in the past month or so.

So, when is it ready? I hope to send it out for proof-reading and a final proof to the printer by the end of April (no advanced orders please).

I don't know if its proper to put my web address on this board, but if you type Carney and Magic into most search engines, you will find my sight. Also, there will be ads and snail and e mail notices.

It will NOT be available through dealers, only through me.

I certainly appreciate all the interest and encouragement, and hope this promo opportunity is not considered tacky.

Thanks,
John Carney

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 19th, 2002, 5:21 pm

I don't think any of us would be offended if John put his website address on the forum.
So, John, what's the address of your website?

Postby Guest » March 19th, 2002, 5:26 pm

http://www.carneymagic.com/
Just incase John does not make it back :)

Thanks for the update John. Many magicians are really looking forward to the new book. We still need to get a date together for your "Art of Magic" workshop award.

Thanks,
John Zander

Return to “Buzz”