Finding Tom Mullica

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.

Finding Tom Mullica

Postby Guest » September 26th, 2001, 1:13 pm

I was watching the movie "Finding Forester" the one with Connery. And to my shock and delight I happened to see Tom Mullica, he had a line or two. It was GREAT.
Has anyone else seen this, or was I on some sort on "substance"?
ALSO has anyone seen any other famous magicians in movies i.e. David Copperfield in "Terror Train" opposite Jamie Lee Curtis.
Please feel free to post on this.

Spydur

Re: Finding Tom Mullica

Postby Guest » September 26th, 2001, 1:47 pm

Yes, you saw Tom Mullica in Finding Forrester. There have been many magicians over the years that have been in movies, TV, etc. It's always cool to spot one though.

[ September 26, 2001: Message edited by: Mark Ennis ]

Gary Freed

Postby Gary Freed » September 26th, 2001, 4:00 pm

What timing. I just saw Finding Forrester last Sunday with my daughter....had her rewind when I saw Mullica (ashamed to say I was waiting for him to pop a bunch of cigarettes in his mouth)
I haven't seen him in a movie before..would like to know it he's been hidden in others as well.

Andy Hurst

Postby Andy Hurst » September 27th, 2001, 1:21 am

I think I saw David Blaine in "Family Man", but it might have just been a tree.

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » September 27th, 2001, 9:59 pm

I just saw "Lord of Illusions" today - a Clive Barker film starring Scott Bakula (of Quantum Leap & the new Star Trek series). In the movie, they take you inside the Magic Castle for a bit, and sitting there is none other than Billy McComb, playing a character named "Walter Wilder." He has a small part - a few lines as he takes Soctt Bakula's character around the Magic Castle. You also get to see him perform some card manipulations when he's sitting at the bar.

-Jim

Postby Guest » September 28th, 2001, 12:00 pm

While briefly watching the beginning of "The Grifters" the other night I swear I saw Dean Dill sitting at the bar while John Cusak attempted to shortchange the bartender.

Randy Campbell :eek:

David Acer

Postby David Acer » September 28th, 2001, 5:23 pm

Unless Im mistaken, T. Nelson Downs had a brief cameo in Ghostbusters.
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

David Moore

Postby David Moore » September 28th, 2001, 5:43 pm

Randy,

I checked my copy of "The Grifters" and you're right. It's Dean Dill. Good catch, I've seen that movie a million times and never noticed him.

Postby Guest » September 30th, 2001, 6:23 pm

I also heard that in the anniversary eddition of Goonies you can see Erdnase in the background on the pirate ship.

Spydur

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » October 1st, 2001, 3:17 am

Not only that, but Houdini is in "The Jazz Singer." Unfortunately, while it was the first talkie, the King Of Escapes didn't get any lines. He just stood there looking angry.

Larry Horayne

Postby Larry Horayne » October 4th, 2001, 8:38 am

:eek: How about our dear friend, Jay Ose. What a great trick he did in The Flim-Flam Man--in the scene George C Scott was 'tossing the broad' Jay was both a farmer and did the close-up for the monte shots. He appeared on a few other films, too.

Larry Horowitz

Postby Larry Horowitz » October 4th, 2001, 9:07 am

Steve Valentine has a regular role in the new T.V. show "Crossing Jordon."

Jacky Kahan

Postby Jacky Kahan » October 8th, 2001, 8:03 am

This is intersting...
http://us.imdb.com/Name?Mullica,+Tom
It seems that he played in 2 movies...
http://us.imdb.com/Name?Jay,+Ricky
and ricky jay in 15 movies....

cheers :D

Postby Guest » October 9th, 2001, 5:11 am

I believe Dean Dill came up with short change routine for the Grifters (but I could be wrong). I do believe that he was an advisor for this movie.

Postby Guest » October 10th, 2001, 8:57 am

Can anyone confirm Paul Harris' involvement in Mission Impossible?? Did he have any consulting in these??

Spydur

David Nethery

Postby David Nethery » October 17th, 2001, 3:34 pm

I haven't seen "Finding Forrester" yet, but will look for Mullica.

Ricky Jay is a very good actor. He's had some good roles in David Mamet's films, notably "The Spanish Prisoner" with Steve Martin. (highly recommended).

I am looking forward to seeing Ricky Jay in the new David Mamet thriller "Heist" which is opening in November , I think . "Heist" stars Gene Hackman and Danny Devito, but it looks like Mr. Jay has a substantial role.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » October 17th, 2001, 3:54 pm

Steve Valentine also had a guest-starring role in an episode of "Just Shoot Me."

The night this episode aired Steve was performing at the Castle in the Close-Up Room. I remember sitting at that little bar just up the stairs, and watching the episode with Steve. When it ended at 10pm we went down stairs and watched Steve do his show, which was great.

Steve's character (a flamboyant magician) did several "tricks" in the show, but non of them were actually performed by Steve -- more of the "look in your pocket, there's your missing pen" variety. This caused some magicians I know to wonder why the producers cast a magician in this role when no magic was required.

They didn't. They cast Steve Valentine in the role, because he's a terrific actor. This is, not coincidentally, also why he's such a terrific magician.

Pete

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » October 17th, 2001, 7:24 pm

Originally posted by Dai:
I haven't seen "Finding Forrester" yet, but will look for Mullica.

Ricky Jay is a very good actor.

Mullica has only about 10 seconds of screen time but if it gets you to see Forester by all means rent it. It's perhaps the best thing Connery's done and the kid who plays his student (his first role) simply steals the show.

Did anyone catch Ricky Jay in "Mystery Men"? He plays Capt. Amazing's agent who's explaining why the superhero's endorsements are slipping:
"I'm a publicist, not a magician."

Postby Guest » October 18th, 2001, 4:00 am

I caught the line in Mystery Men as well. My 2 favorite Ricky Jay roles are in "Boogie Nights" and "House of Games".

Return to “Buzz”