Houdini Stamp News

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Mark Jensen
Favorite Magician: Juan Tamariz

Houdini Stamp News

Postby Mark Jensen » July 19th, 2002, 8:45 pm

Hi,
As you may have heard, the new Houdini Stamp was issued in New York City on July 3rd. What you may not know is that it is not too late to get your first day issue.

Customers have 30 days to obtain the first day of issue postmark by mail. They may purchase new stamps at their local Post Office, by telephone at 1 800 STAMP-24, and at the Postal Store at www.usps.com. They should affix the stamps to envelopes of their choice, address the envelopes (to themselves or others), and place them in a larger envelope addressed to:

HOUDINI COMMEMORATIVE STAMP
POSTMASTER
421 EIGHTH AVE RM 2029B
NEW YORK NY 10199-9991

After applying the first day of issue postmark, the Postal Service will return the envelopes through the mail. There is no charge for the postmark. All orders must be postmarked by August 2, 2002.

Best,

Mark
That\'s Impossible

Re: Houdini Stamp News

Postby Guest » July 25th, 2002, 12:13 am

I've been trying to get hold of a first day cover over here in the UK but haven't managed it yet.
Is there anyone on the forum who could arrange it for me if I send the requisite folding green things and my address?
It really would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in anticipation.
Ian

Stefan Fisher

Postby Stefan Fisher » July 26th, 2002, 5:21 pm

There have also been several first day covers with decorated envelopes listed on E-Bay.

Postby Guest » July 28th, 2002, 2:59 am

I have been able to obtain a limited amount of first day cover Houdini stamps from the USA and these should be with me soon here in the UK. It was difficult to obtain these but anyhow I have managed it ! Anyone in the UK who is interested in obtaining a set from me then email me and I will send you details . Please note that there is a limited amount only.
Stuart.
Derby Magic Circle (UK)

Dave Shepherd

Postby Dave Shepherd » July 30th, 2002, 8:34 pm

I assume this will take awhile?

I mailed a large envelope filled with smaller envelopes containing my address & Houdini stamps. Mailed them exactly a week ago from the Washington suburbs to New York City. Haven't gotten anything back yet.

I say this as a fan of the US Postal Service who is almost always amazed at how quickly mail moves.

(Don't believe me? Try the postal services in other countries, compare cost and speed...)

Lisa Cousins

Postby Lisa Cousins » July 31st, 2002, 9:27 am

Dave,

I'm guessing that collector-oriented transactions are at the low end of the post office's set of priorities. I ordered (by phone) the post office decoder, so that I could see Houdini in chains on the stamp. (They also said that other stamps have hidden images which this decoder will reveal.) They told me that it would take 2-3 weeks to arrive. Almost nothing I have ever ordered has taken 2-3 weeks to arrive (unless of course it was coming from Canada, which only goes to illustrate your point about postal efficiency in the good ole USA), and the idea that something ordered from the post office itself could take so long seemed preposterous to me. But there you go.

Lisa

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 31st, 2002, 9:32 am

Good luck with the decoder: at least five of us have tried to see anything on the Houdini stamp with it and NOTHING. Just blurred vision and a headache.
As far as the post office goes, the woman from the PO running the stamp ceremony at the SAM was a titanic bitch who threatened to call security at several points for no reason, and refused to allow the convention's designated "signer" (who signs for the deaf attendees) to work during the ceremony, and insisted upon substituting a woman she brought, much to the distress of the deaf magicians, who evidentally had much experience with the signer for the convention. It was very unpleasant, and the bitch from post office threatened to have the SAM signer hauled off by security.
Very nasty.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Dave Shepherd

Postby Dave Shepherd » July 31st, 2002, 9:33 am

Well, your theory makes sense, Lisa. It's not a question of how quickly they send mail, it's a question of how important this is within the NYC post office. I'm sure it's a very low priority item, since it does nothing for inter-city communications except give me a cool postmark on a special stamp.

Thanks for your insight, Lisa.

Richard, I'm sorry to hear about the unpleasant person at the ceremony. I don't think that necessarily reflects on the USPS in general. I have seen many postal employees patiently endure unbelievable customer abuse at the Merrifield post office (the main Northern Virginia distribution center that serves the close-in Washington, DC suburbs). I wouldn't want their jobs. And the mail does generally run very quickly and very cheaply in the US.

Incidentally, let me note that my cycling hero, 4-time winner of the Tour de France Lance Armstrong, rides for the USPS team...

Postby Guest » July 31st, 2002, 10:24 am

As previously stated I have been very fortunate in getting a limited supply of these stamps over here in the UK , they will be with me in 1 to 2 weeks time. Those people who have emailed me will be able to purchase a set but if anyone else in the UK wants any then let me know very very soon as there are not many more that will be available from the quantity being sent. I also will not be able to supply any individual with too many sets so please don't ask to be fair to everyone that wants some . Many Thanks.
Stuart Brown
Derby Magic Circle (UK)

Lisa Cousins

Postby Lisa Cousins » July 31st, 2002, 10:46 am

Somebody showed me the stamp through the decoder at the SAM, and I plainly and easily saw the chains. I had the impression that the secret chains were on a special, limited edition, but I have since been told that the chains are universal.

Don't know why it didn't work for Richard & Co. Maybe it's like those Magic Eye books, and a shift in focus is required to see the hidden sense in the seeming chaos.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 31st, 2002, 11:40 am

Lisa, exactly how was the decoder held in relation to the stamp?

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » July 31st, 2002, 12:36 pm

You've got to hold the decoder against the stamp with the printed side down, that is the printed side of the decoder, to see the chains. In other words, Richard, turn the damn thing over and hold it right next to, touching the face of, the stamp, not like a "viewer". It looks to me to be a moire pattern thing.

Matt Field

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 31st, 2002, 2:54 pm

Whoopeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Uncle Matt is da' Man!
Chains chains chains chains!

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » July 31st, 2002, 4:17 pm

How does one get a decoder? I asked at my local post office and the clerks looked at me with the same look as the RCA Victor Dog gazing at the Victrola. I checked the USPS web site and could find no mention of if it at all. :confused:

Help!
Dustin

Mark Jensen
Favorite Magician: Juan Tamariz

Postby Mark Jensen » July 31st, 2002, 4:22 pm

You may order item 011002 $4.95 Stamp
Decoder from the USA Philatelic catalog. Currently it is in backorder status.
You can email them from their web site requesting the catalog. Or, if you prefer you may order via telephone at 1 800 Stamp24 with a credit card.

Best,

Mark

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » July 31st, 2002, 4:37 pm

Now that you say that, I recall that you already told me that earlier in an email, didn't you? Thanks again!

Dustin
(Currently suffering from “CRS” – Can't Remember…Stuff)

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 31st, 2002, 6:43 pm

Dustin: I have a bunch. I'll bring one on Tuesday :)

Return to “Buzz”