One Day to Clonehood

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

One Day to Clonehood

Postby Dustin Stinett » December 4th, 2002, 9:54 pm

So, you say you want to be a David Blaine clone? I bet you think that you have the all the videos you need, but you may just be wrong! That right, "magicextreme.com" has the video EVERY magic man needs to "Learn Extreme StreetMagic."

That's right boys and girls (well, I'm guessing mostly boys); just get this one video and, "Learn Today's Hottest StreetMagic in minutes." That's right! IN MINUTES! Why, with the "Learn Extreme StreetMagic" video, you can get "to a professional level with your magic in a matter of days." And to think I've wasted all these years!

The magic on the video is REALLY extreme! Killer stuff, like the burnt and restored to its book match, a two-card Monte, a single coin production, the Gypsy Thread, the Arm Twister, a card to mouth and several other killer effects! And what "Extreme StreetMagic" video would be complete without a self-levitation?! It's all here. And there is an awesome preview. I don't recall ever seeing very much magic in it, but you do get to see lots of shots of "Jeremy" walking along the tracks and jumping over walls (in slow-motion, of course)! And so what if after he says, "come take a walk with me down the Las Vegas Strip" the very next scene is of him riding in a car?! What? You never heard of artistic license? Excuse me, "Extreme" artistic license? Hey, it's about the tricks and the reactions, man!

It's all here, and with the tricks explained you will, "be on your way to freaking people out in a day." And get this, "Some of the Explanations are performed inside in a quiet setting and some are explained in dirty alleyways and parking garages which keeps things interesting." Gives me shivers just thinking about it!

But the video is not all you can find on this site! It has FREE stuff! That's right FREE. You can learn (sort of) Marc DeSouza's "Shapeshifter Change" right online! The video clip is real cool (though I think I missed the part where "Jeremy" credits DeSouza and says that he got permission from him to teach the move online). "Jeremy" also exposes, errr, teaches the Snap Change (sort of)! There's also a link to a place where you can buy everything you need to hit the streets and start performing! What are you waiting for?!

But you know what I find most incredible about this site? It's the fact that everything I find deplorable (to the "extreme") about magic today can be found all in one place!

Dustin

Jonathan Townsend

Re: One Day to Clonehood

Postby Jonathan Townsend » December 4th, 2002, 10:04 pm

Originally posted by Dustin Stinett:
So, you say you want to be a David Blaine clone?
Hello My name is??? Will the real David Blaine please stand up???

I thought the song was about 'Slim Shady' not David Blaine.

Okay, time for the kids to dye their hair black, wear black and walk around as if ...

and don't forget to warn Marshall Mathers about his 15 minutes of fame being up :D
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » December 5th, 2002, 7:32 am

Originally posted by Jonathan Townsend:
Will the real David Blaine please stand up???
"I am Spartacus..."

"I am Spartacus..."

"I am Spartacus..."

Postby Guest » December 5th, 2002, 8:34 am

Originally posted by Jonathan Townsend
and don't forget to warn Marshall Mathers about his 15 minutes of fame being up :D
With well over $100 million at the boxoffice for 8 mile and 7 million units of his latest album, I'd say MMIII will be around for a bit longer than MM's standard duration.

Guess who's back, back again
Shady's back, tell a friend

-- Randy Campbell

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » December 5th, 2002, 9:13 am

Originally posted by Dustin Stinett:
So, you say you want to be a David Blaine clone? I bet you think that you have the all the videos you need, but you may just be wrong! That right, "xxxxx.com" has the video EVERY magic man needs to "Learn Extreme StreetMagic."
See Joe M. Turner's review in the December Genii, which is every bit as negative as Dustin's.

But, hey, it's a free country and we have these guys and Herbert Becker and the Masked Magician and there are bottom feeders everywhere.

Just ignore 'em is what I do.

Matt Field

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » December 5th, 2002, 9:31 am

Originally posted by Matthew Field:
See Joe M. Turner's review in the December Genii, which is every bit as negative as Dustin's.
This is a different guy. Well, the same, only different.

Dustin
(Ignores car wrecks, but can't seem to keep his eyes off train wrecks like these)

Joe M. Turner
Favorite Magician: Fred Kaps

Postby Joe M. Turner » December 5th, 2002, 9:51 am

Originally posted by Matthew Field:

But, hey, it's a free country and we have these guys and Herbert Becker and the Masked Magician and there are bottom feeders everywhere.

Just ignore 'em is what I do.

Matt Field
I would have ignored it except that I had to review it. :( I probably upset a few people, but hey, I calls 'em as I sees 'em. I may have been too snide in that review, though.

JMT

Postby Guest » December 5th, 2002, 12:17 pm

I love that the guy is actually pictured inside a shopping cart on the homepage. Is that a parody or real? Unbelievable.

-David L.

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » December 10th, 2002, 10:26 am

Your review was right on the money Mr. Turner. In fact I thought you were too soft on the producers of that tape. That product is truly an exemplification of everything that is wrong in magic instructional videos. As Michael Weber once wrote of another bad instructional video: Anyone who is interested in purchasing the tape to look cool and attract chicks should turn in their close-up mats for mattresses and breed with people who can't read.

Postby Guest » December 11th, 2002, 1:23 pm

Not meaning to debate the lameness of the x.com site or videos, but from a marketing standpoint, I do agree with them that some magicians need some "street."

David Blaine has reached millions of people, and yes, even M&M has become the idol of millions -- many of whom are the same millions we try and reach as performers. The "Echo-boomers" are the next biggest demographic and this is a genre/style that appeals to them.

Even Copperfield's last special had street performances, which I think we can assume is because of DB's tv success.

I'd rather see a new type of act than another clone of anyone. I think cloning happens in all entertainment fields.

I tend to think the site caters to both magicians and lay audiences now since it comes up on searches for "street magic." And who am I to begrudge a fellow magi the opportunity to make a living? It's a good angle for the store, (though I haven't bought anything from it). ;)

Sean

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » December 11th, 2002, 1:41 pm

Originally posted by solgrundy:
I do agree with them that some magicians need some "street."
Some? I suspect MOST performers could learn a bit by taking some tricks to the "street" and seeing what it takes to do the material in such circumstances.

This process can be most instructive in learning to engage an audience, and learning which routines are so very dependant upon things like tables, lapping, angle control etc.

This knowlege is probably best gained from experience. By all means take your pet effects with you to the movies, dinner or wherever, and when you are around people, see what it takes to get them involved with the routine.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Postby Guest » December 11th, 2002, 2:01 pm

By all means take your pet effects with you to the movies, dinner or wherever, and when you are around people, see what it takes to get them involved with the routine.
Amen! I usually feel the most secure with a new bit after I've accosted a stranger with it. That's usually when I throw away the planned patter and start making it up/making it my own.

S.

Postby Guest » December 12th, 2002, 11:35 am

This is not your Average Magic Video
"Learn Extreme StreetMagic" will give you the skills and techniques that make it possible for you to perform mind blowing street magic.
These are not self working tricks that you would get in a magic kit.
That's what makes them so powerful.

lol lol lol

here's my favorite

Imagine This . . .
You are standing in a group full of people and they
are Amazed that you are 3 to 4 inches off the ground.

Now it's clearly says : standing in a group of people and not in front of a group of people

But you know Jeremy is smart because he made some discovery: here the cue from the web site
When Jeremy was growing up he learned magic from books. He found that books are great for knowledge,but when it came down to learning the proper technique for most sleights he had a hard time trying to figure out what they were explaining. Jeremy found that he learned 10 times faster with video - which meant that he could increase his arsenal of tricks alot faster with video. He said "I would spend $50 on a book and maybe learn only one or two good tricks, but with a video I would learn all the tricks visually and easily step-by-step".
well You know I think that they should hire theses guys for the next just for laugh festival.

Get out of the casual
Pete

Return to “Buzz”