The TMW Awards

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.

The TMW Awards

Postby Guest » April 9th, 2007, 5:36 am

Hey Guys-

Firstly, go easy on me- I have heard the Genii forum can be a tough crowd! But I'm sure you're all nice people. I hope.

I have started an online magic awards, called the TMW Awards.

It is an awards designed to be for people who work hard within the magic industry, to help other magicians and further the art. For example, the best magician category isn't all about performance ability, but more about how much good material they released during the year, or how much they were keen to help people with their magic.

The nominations were given by members of the TMW forum, but are now closed.

You can vote here - ww.TheMagicAwards.com

Here are the nominations (they were made on another forum, so we couldn't publicise them on other forums, sorry if you missed out!)-

TMW Award for Best Magician
Current Nominees for TMW Award for Best Magician
Justin Miller
Wayne Dobson
Daniel Garcia
Cyril Takayama
Jay Sankey
Nathan Kranzo

TMW Award for Best Book
Current Nominees for TMW Award for Best Book
Mike Powers - Power Plays
Richard Osterlind - Metal Blast
John Lovick - Switch, Unfolding the $100 Bill Change
Jay Sankey - Beyond Secrets
Banachek - Psychological Subtleties 2
WD40 - Wayne Dobson

TMW Award for Best Teaching Video
Current Nominees for TMW Award for Best Teaching Video
Educating Archer - John Archer
Nothing - Max Maven
CoinOne - Homer Liwag
Drawn Apart - ImperfectReality/Chase Hubler
Trickery - David Forrest
Silver Dream - Justin Miller

TMW Award for Best Trick
Current Nominees for TMW Award for Best Trick
Stigmata - Wayne Houchin/Banachek
Labelled - Ben Williams
Collard - John Archer
Bruised - Daniel Martin
Prohibition - Charlie Justice
Drawn Apart - Chase Hubler
Self Tying Shoelaces - Jay Noblezada
WOW! - Masuda
Interlace - Richard Sanders
Taste Conditions - Morgan Strebler
Ladybug - Paul Vigil, Paul Harris, Roy Kueppers

TMW Award for Best Website
Current Nominees for TMW Award for Best Website
The Magic Cafe - www.themagiccafe.com
Magic Week - www.magicweek.co.uk
Lybrary - www.lybrary.com
Go Magic Go / GMG Podcast - www.gomagicgo.com
Magic Show - www.allmagic.com
Online Visions - www.online-visions.com
iTricks - www.itricks.com

TMW Award for Best Newcomer
Current Nominees for TMW Award for Best Newcomer
Morgan Strebler
Michael Paul
Tyler Wilson
Jason Latimer
Pete Firman
Zenneth Kok
Eric Jones

TMW Award for Lifetime Achievement
Current Nominees for TMW Award for Lifetime Achievement
Richard Osterlind
Eugene Burger
Robert Nelson
Whit Haydn
Darwin Ortiz
Mark Wilson
Ali Bongo
Michael Ammar
Duncan Trillo
Paul Daniels
Wayne Dobson

What do you think!?? Go Easy! (And please- this is not a commercial project. I am making no money from this, as there are no adverts or sponsors. Its all out of pocket, and my way of doing something I believe in)

//Edd Withers
// www.TheMagicAwards.com

Pete Biro

Re: The TMW Awards

Postby Pete Biro » April 9th, 2007, 9:28 am

Reminds me of a guy that had "his own" MOTORSPORTS HALL OF FAME... turned out to be his garage and he had photos of chosen members on the walls. (Of course he did the choosing with a few of his pals).

I believe things like this should be handled by major organizations, IF AT ALL.
Stay tooned.

Mark Collier

Postby Mark Collier » April 9th, 2007, 10:14 am

From the website:

"They are the magic worlds equivalent to The Oscars. Nominations are made by magicians on The Magic Woods forum, and then anyone is welcome to vote on The Magic Woods Awards website"

Does someone really have to explain why this seems a little silly?

Postby Guest » April 9th, 2007, 10:35 am

Interesting that this is being promoted a week after nominations were closed....on a website that was not nominated as "best."

Turns out that Magic's "equivalent to the Oscars" is run by a 20-year old university student. See http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... d=83412113 for details. Theres a bit of video with Edd performing, probably in his dorm room.

I'll hand this to you Edd, while I dont doubt your sincerity, you are ambitious, if not a tad over-reaching.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 9th, 2007, 12:18 pm

Mayhaps it be a school project?
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » April 9th, 2007, 1:42 pm

Thanks Edd for the data, compiled from The Magic Woods....I enjoy reading "my favorites" threads on small forums. Keep up the good work over there....

....oh, and don't be discouraged by comments here or elsewhere...Hey! They just had a "my favorites" thingie out at the Magic Castle....

Perhaps somebody here will compile a favorites study, using all the old Genii threads....Now that would be a valuable history, but might not reflect what the young, up-coming magicians like today....?????

Keep on keeping on....opie

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 9th, 2007, 1:46 pm

The "favorites" at the Magic Castle ACTUALLY WORKED THERE.
Stay tooned.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » April 9th, 2007, 1:57 pm

AND actually work.

It seems like the nominations were all made by 14 year old cafe members.

Postby Guest » April 9th, 2007, 2:05 pm

tsk tsk....

...When are we going to stop slamming the kids on this board? Give it a rest!!!

opie

Postby Guest » April 9th, 2007, 2:23 pm

A twenty-year-old puts up an "award" site where he claims, "TMW Awards are awards given to magicians, tricks and institutions in the magic industry, by fellow magicians. They are the magic worlds equivalent to The Oscars."

His awards are equivalent of "The Oscars"?!

Who and what he is is pointed out with mild recriminations and suddenly we're "slamming the kids on this board."

C'mon Opie....get real.

Postby Guest » April 9th, 2007, 2:36 pm

tsk tsk, David...

What is reality but youth and huge visions?....All else is aged and wanting of that which is lost...

I recall, back in the '60s, when I was in my mid twenties (already a real "master of magic"????), I lost a contest to a 17-year old in a Canadian contest....I was not happy with him. Nor was I happy with another kid , who followed me around trying to show me some card tricks....

Later, I saw the kid who won the contest in an ad about a big show on Broadway....duh!!! And the other kid with the cards? I still collect Steranko stuff....

Give the kids a break!!

opie

Postby Guest » April 9th, 2007, 3:41 pm

I am neither wanting what was "lost" whatever the hell that means, nor do I believe that "reality" is "youth and huge visions."

The problem with the Internet is that too many see all these various websites as being "real." Thus we have a 20-year-old who has been in magic a handful of years (or less) claiming to hand out awards to magicians that are "equivalent to the Oscars."

That's silly and absurd and you know it.

Postby Guest » April 9th, 2007, 3:53 pm

I have six kids, four grand kids, and one great grand kid.....All of them have had dreams and played games, where they are the wonders of the world...

If you missed out on that experience in your youth, I am sorry....but don't take the dreams away from our kids....You will regret it one day, regardless of how high and mighty your thoughts might be today....

Besides, what has the kid done here, except to try to please?

No offense intended, but I do not understand your haste to put down a kid...for whatever reason!!!

opie

Postby Guest » April 9th, 2007, 4:05 pm

Turns out what I had heard about this forum was true! Such a shame as the magazine is great.

I appreciate calling it the magic world equivalent of the Oscars is a bit grandiose (as they said on the Go Magic Go podcast), but I thought it was best to reach high, and that is where I would like to see the awards get to.

Ah well- you try do something good because you love magic and appreciate the work of those in the industry and you get slammed... It's not like this is money making for me- then I might understand the criticisms.

Someone mentioned that I am publicising this after the nominations are closed. The reason for this is because if I came here and said 'Go to my forum! Nominate!' I'm pretty certain you would slam me for just spamming.

Yeah, I'm 20. So what? And yeah- there is a video on my myspace of me doing a trick- and yes, it was filmed in a dorm room. Why does that make my idea for a online awards a bad one? Its got nothing to do with it.

I run a growing magic forum, and work for a large magic shop. I don't pretend to be a big name or hold any weight in this industry, but I'm certainly not a kiddie who knows nothing.

Thanks for your support Opie, your a good guy.

These aren't 'my' awards. They are the TMW Awards (the magic woods). I didn't make the nominations, nor do I decide the winners. I don't see why its so flawed? We have had over 1000 voters now, so I do think its a pretty good and fair indication of who is appreciated and doing well in our industry.

Maybe some constructive criticism would be helpful.

Anyway- all feedback of any kind is useful, and I appreciate all your responses.

What do I need to do to improve the awards for next year?

Edd Withers
www.TheMagicAwards.com

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 9th, 2007, 4:08 pm

You could see this one coming.

Edd, let me give you some advice. I like your idea, but there needs to be some modesty involved because of your age and the status of the people voting (who are they? how many are they? what are their qualifications?).

Start slow ... let it grow. You'll go farther and stay around longer.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » April 9th, 2007, 4:57 pm

You could see this one coming.

Edd, let me give you some advice. I like your idea, but there needs to be some modesty involved because of your age and the status of the people voting (who are they? how many are they? what are their qualifications?).

Start slow ... let it grow. You'll go farther and stay around longer.
Hi Richard,

Thanks for the feedback, its much appreciated and valued- especially from yourself.

I agree about the modesty issue. Comparing it to the Oscars was a mistake, and I know there are people out there who are far more qualified to do something like this- but they weren't and so I thought I'd give it a go.

The people voting are anyone. Anyone can vote once on www.themagicawards.com . That means the vote is open to master, award winning magicians, publishers like yourself, beginners in the magic world, performing professionals- everyone can vote. As for how many, well, as many as possible! Its free, quick and easy to vote on the site.

The take it slow comment is certainly true. This is the first year of the awards, and just like the first year of any project that needs credibility, it won't rocket to success. I know that. I know I will make mistakes and there will be things that need to change before we do it again next year.

Thanks for your support and advice. It is really appreciated.

Edd Withers
www.themagicawards.com .

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » April 9th, 2007, 7:21 pm

I think a more careful approach to the nomination process was in order. There are many wonderful and deserving magicians who have made splashes in the public eye this year alone. Their ommision taints those who are included.

The list includes many young magicians who I am sure have a following who think they "totally rawk" but you do not find their accolades shouted here from people who know the published record or have experience actually performing outside of the magicians lecture hall.

Perhaps having a nominating committee of people who are familiar with a world larger than the DVDs hawked on the Magic Cafe would help.

How many 16 year olds read the Benson book, or Potassy?

Can you nominate someone you have never heard of?

Postby Guest » April 9th, 2007, 8:17 pm

Brad hit the nail on the head, I think.

I spoke with Edd regarding that issue (I used to be a member of his forum) a while back, as well as several others.

I noticed when they were discussing artists who contributed to modern close-up, there was no mention of Robert-Houdin, Hofzinser, Don Allan, etc.

In mentioning books there was no mention of the Houdin or Benson (or the Vernon Bio, Ascanio volume 2, etc).

As a young man who has taken on fairly large projects in the past few years, I understand (I think) where Edd is coming from.

But as I mentioned to him before- the people making the nominations were unqualified and uninformed, and likewise for the voting process. And, with that in mind, I'm not sure what he hoped to gain by broadcasting the info here.

Postby Guest » April 9th, 2007, 8:30 pm

I'm quite impressed with the grace and decorum which this young man has demonstrated! Clearly, he seems passionate and genuinely eager to get involved with magic in positive way. It's a pity some individuals on here are so quick to codemn and it's a terrible pity that they have forgotten what it was like to be twenty!

I think the awards are a fabulous idea, my friend, and don't be discouraged by the mean-spirited comments and overall negativity by SOME of the posters on here.
Paul Pacific

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » April 9th, 2007, 8:32 pm

What was the nomination process?

N.
(Pleasantly surprised to see Robert Nelson's name on the list...)

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » April 9th, 2007, 8:33 pm

Paul,

Exactly what do you find mean-spirited in this thread?

N.

Postby Guest » April 9th, 2007, 8:43 pm

Here! here! Paul....

I simply do not understand what is happening here lately....

The young folks need a place like this to be able to show off a bit and make contributions. The last two I have seen do that have been blasted....

Richard, I think that, given a little slack, they will fine tune whatever they get constructive criticism for....

...I guess I am just an old softy teacher at heart...

Goodnight....opie

Postby Guest » April 9th, 2007, 8:58 pm

A better approach, in retrospect, might have been to approach several knowledgeable individuals, such as Mr. Henderson and Mr. Biro, and ask them to help choose nominees.

I don't see anyone lambasting Edd for his idea (in fact, a few have told him its a great one) but rather his method of accomplishing it.

A little more thought would have helped.

Postby Guest » April 9th, 2007, 10:26 pm

Some of those 'newcomers' have been around awhile. What exactly is a 'newcomer'?

Postby Guest » April 10th, 2007, 10:26 am

If a young magician showed up to perform at a formal affair at which you were in attendance, regaled the crowd with a series of fart jokes, and consequently bombed, wouldnt you feel compelled to explain to him the error of his ways? If you did, would that constitute malice? I dont think so, and neither do I see any malice in the people here pointing out to Edd the errors they see in his awards. The way I look at it Edd came here of his own volition, knowing the people here have a propensity for telling it like it is, and hes really none the worse for wear from having gotten some honest feedback. Not all criticism is born from jealousy or malice.

We all make mistakes and not just twenty year olds but the mark of an individual is how he deals with his mistakes. Edd could go off in a huff, telling himself the people at Genii are a bunch of jerks, or dispassionately consider what theyre saying and see if it has merit. It would seem Edd has taken the latter choice, and I applaud him for it. Not every kid, or even one of us forty-somethings, would have reacted with the grace hes thus far exhibited.

I think the awards are a good enough idea, just in need of a little fine tuning. You obviously have a vision for what they could be and are open enough to make adjustments accordingly. Best of luck.

Postby Guest » April 10th, 2007, 11:17 am

Good observation.....I too applaud Edd.....

:D pie

Postby Guest » April 10th, 2007, 11:20 am

The young folks need a place like this to be able to show off a bit and make contributions. The last two I have seen do that have been blasted....
The problem, as I see it, is that most of the "newcomers" that get blasted don't come here and say "I've got this thing I do, can you give me a few tips?" They go "Here's this cool thing I do that I have told the world about so that everyone can now see how cool I am. Isn't that cool?"
In the last little while there have been several "newcomers" post here with questions or asking for advice. I have seen them all get great advice. But if you are going to show the world what an idiot you are then I say suck it up and take it.

Lord knows I would have deserved no less if YouTube had existed fourteen years ago.

Gord

Postby Guest » April 10th, 2007, 12:11 pm

gord I disagree with your post completely! Edd is not saying, "Look how cool I am!" He is simply sharing his awards idea with us. Let him!! I think it's a great idea personally and there is nothing wrong with it!
People need to learn to give advice constructively AND from the other person's perspective. I see absolutely NO need to be so harsh at times.
Edd, keep up the positive attitude and maintain your focus and passion for magic. :)
Like a great magic trick, not everything is as it appears on here. Take people's comments with a huge grain of salt and do not get discouraged!
Paul Pacific

Postby Guest » April 10th, 2007, 12:45 pm

Guys- thank you hugely for your feedback, criticism and support.

I run my own business (not magic related). I started it when I was 15, and now I am 20, and I sit on the board of directors and have over 30 people working under me. Within 5 years it is projected to become a publicly listed company. I have achieved a lot, and I put it all down to the readiness of people who are willing to criticize (constructively or not - its all objective), and support me. I take the same slant here.

A reply may be made with a rude tone, but that doesn't mean the advice within it is bad. Obviously its nice and encouraging to hear constructive support and criticism, and for some to succeed its necessary, but luckily not for me.

Just a brief comment in respect of a few things people said. The nominations were made publicly- anyone was allowed to add a nomination to the list. As it was the first year the awards ran, it was hard to publicise the nominations process. We all hate spam and unsolicited advertising, and if I went onto other forums saying 'come to my forum to make nominations' it would make me look bad. When the awards are over this year, an e-mail sign-up box will appear on the site. If you sign up to that, you'll get an e-mail next year letting you know when and where you can make the nominations.

I personally see great merit in an awards that are voted for by the whole magic community. Not 3 judges behind closed doors.

There has been a lot of people who are 'concerned' at who is allowed to vote. I personally am very surprised at this. Would you be more confident in a president that was selected by 10 people, or one selected by the whole community?

Thanks again for all your feedback!

Edd Withers
www.TheMagicAwards.com

Postby Guest » April 10th, 2007, 12:55 pm

Paul
Terribly sorry. I think I wasn't clear.
I wasn't speaking about these awards, but other posts that have come before.
Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Gord

Postby Guest » April 10th, 2007, 2:42 pm

What I objected to (and rather mildly I thought) was the designation on a publicly accessible website of Magic Industry Awards at a site called www.TheMagicAwards.com where the awards are described as equivalent to the Oscars.

Edds apparent connection with the magic industry is as a worker in a magic shop and as an amateur magician. While the idea of nominations and voting from members of his forum may or may not have merit, there is already no shortage of awards and competitions in the magic industry - the Magic Circle awards, the Magic Castle awards, the competitions at nearly every convention including the S.A.M., the I.B.M., Blackpool, FISM, etc.

The naming of these awards as Magic Industry Awards and equivalent to the Oscars is both inaccurate and misleading.

Had Edd said to his Forum membership, lets have an award, you nominate and you vote, I would have had no objection at all, because that is what the awards would have been...and what they are.

Should some member of the media run across this well-designed website they might actually believe its claims and thus be lead to an erroneous conclusion about what these awards are within the magic community. Those were my objections.

Postby Guest » April 10th, 2007, 2:55 pm

I'd like to announce the winners of the Universal Magical Arts and Mentalism Awards, magics version of the Grammys.

I was nominated in all catagories against David Blaine, Derrek Brown, David Copperfield, and all other magicians whos first name starts with the letter D.

Close up performer:
Steve V

Stand Up Performer:
Steve V

Illusion:
David Copperfield

Mentalism:
Darren Brown

Childrens Magic:
Steve V

Fan Snap Closing:
Dustin Stinnett

Sleepy eyed and in a T Shirt:
David Blaine

Strolling:
Steve V

I would like to thank the Council of Magical Artist for taking the time to cast the votes. THE CMA consist of the following members:
Steve V
Mrs. Steve V
Sooner the Bassett Hound V

Thank you and good luck next year.
Steve V

Postby Guest » April 10th, 2007, 3:20 pm

Congratulations Steve!

Postby Guest » April 10th, 2007, 3:40 pm

Steve V wrote:
I'd like to announce the winners of the Universal Magical Arts and Mentalism Awards, magics version of the Grammys.

I was nominated in all catagories against David Blaine, Derrek Brown, David Copperfield, and all other magicians whos first name starts with the letter D.

Thank you...being nominated is honor enough...however I notice that Steve V had to sleep with one of the judges and probably bribed the other with food.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » April 10th, 2007, 3:49 pm

I just called to find out where I could pick up my trophy. I was redirected to a trophy maker. Not only do I get to design my own award (thus assuring that my name is spelled correctly), I also get to pay for it since money is no object to the producers!

Thank you for this tremendous honor Steve!

Dustin
(Has also slept with one of the judges.)

Postby Guest » April 10th, 2007, 4:28 pm

Dustin
(Has also slept with one of the judges.)

That's a two out of three chance that you're stranger than I thought, Dustin.

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » April 10th, 2007, 5:02 pm

What's the big deal?

Steve and I shared a room at a convention once. In fact, there was a third guy sharing the room and Reed McClintock was there one night too.

I have some interesting Polaroids around here somewhere (pre-digital days).

Postby Guest » April 10th, 2007, 5:56 pm

Um Dustin ....
Do we want to know how you got your Genii job??????

Gord
(Who feels kinda dirty right now.)

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 10th, 2007, 6:17 pm

Dustin and I will be sharing a room at the IBM convention in Reno, however no cameras are allowed.

Witnesses will be allowed in at predetermined times based solely on the amount of Dustin's registration they are willing to pay.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » April 10th, 2007, 6:45 pm

I thought the rule was no "flash photography"?

Return to “Buzz”