Iraqi "Most Wanted" Card Deck

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.

Iraqi "Most Wanted" Card Deck

Postby Guest » April 11th, 2003, 1:21 pm

From today's CNN.com:

55-card most wanted deck

Kind of gives new meaning to "shifts", "holdouts", and the like.

How long before one of these ends up on eBay...?

Cheers,
Bob Mills

Re: Iraqi "Most Wanted" Card Deck

Postby Guest » April 11th, 2003, 1:34 pm

So you ask, is Saddam a joker...no, actually he is the Ace of Spades. I heard you can see these somewhere at our defense website.
---Personally; I think this is in bad taste. But, I think they are expecting lots of down-time, (card playing) in the future, and want the men to know all the guys they are looking for.

Postby Guest » April 11th, 2003, 2:19 pm

Originally posted by MaxNY:
...Personally; I think this is in bad taste. But, I think they are expecting lots of down-time
Talk about marked cards... wow

So do these come in Bicycle backs? Red? Blue? Black and Green? How much?

Anyone wonder if this is gonna invite others to make decks too?

Glenn Farrington

Postby Glenn Farrington » April 11th, 2003, 10:19 pm

Just think...you can do an ambitious card routine that becomes too ambitous becomes torn and yet can never be restored..but even with this ending the crowd goes wild.
Comedy's Easy...Dying Sucks.

Postby Guest » April 12th, 2003, 5:44 am

---Personally; I think this is in bad taste. But, I think they are expecting lots of down-time, (card playing) in the future, and want the men to know all the guys they are looking for.
Actaully there is a long standing tradition of putting items to be recognized on playing cards. In WWII, it was planes and ships...ditto WWI. Since we are only fighting one enemy here, people who have committed war crimes and are a potential danger to the welfare of our troops should be recognized.

"Rosie"

Postby Guest » April 12th, 2003, 7:35 am

I suppose a lot of these cards will be double-faced.

Dave Egleston

Postby Dave Egleston » April 12th, 2003, 1:35 pm

Originally posted by Rosie:
[qb]---Personally; I think this is in bad taste. But, I think they are expecting lots of down-time, (card playing) in the future, and want the men to know all the guys they are looking for.
Max - I think you're looking for something to bitch about - but can't quite form the thought you wanted - Bad Taste?

Bad Taste would be trying to do something trivial with them - Like a card trick - they are issuing these cards with these men's faces on them (they have to be small enough pack and carry hence the "playing card" size)- so the bad guys have a harder time to try and make it into France - Now we can talk about bad taste

Dave

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 12th, 2003, 2:53 pm

Those of us with no taste at all... :p can find these decks for all kinds of prices on ebay! :D
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » April 12th, 2003, 3:32 pm

If this was just a novelty deck it would certainly be in bad taste. But if it is being used to familarise people with war criminals and as an educational tool then it isn't really a novelty.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 12th, 2003, 5:56 pm

I've just removed two political statements from this thread.
Keep your politics to yourself, please.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » April 12th, 2003, 6:35 pm

Originally posted by backpalmmagic:
How long before one of these ends up on eBay...?

Bob Mills
I'm happy about the new back design. christmas is gonna be good at U S playing card co. green, black and cammo cards for sale!

any ideas for good special double faced cards for routines yet?

no political statement in this post :D -jon

Postby Guest » April 12th, 2003, 7:05 pm

"So, these four coins represent weapons of mass destruction hidden in four different parts of the country. Their existence is "covered up" by these four ministers of dis-information, each a half-cousin of Mr. Big, El Supremo, the Leader of the Pack. UN investigators become suspicious of a "completely innocent breast milk factory" and plan to investigate, but a moment's misdirection from the French, and the weapons are gone....."

I'm beginning to see just how bad this could be. Be afraid, be very afraid....

Postby Guest » April 12th, 2003, 9:54 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:
I've just removed two political statements from this thread. Keep your politics to yourself, please.
Richard - the following are quotes from posts that you didn't remove. If you removed the other two for being political, care to explain why these remained? I'd be curious to know what your definition of a 'political statement' is.

"I suppose a lot of these cards will be double-faced."

"...so the bad guys have a harder time to try and make it into France - Now we can talk about bad taste"

"But if it is being used to familarise people with war criminals and as an educational tool then it isn't really a novelty."

"So, these four coins represent weapons of mass destruction hidden in four different parts of the country. Their existence is "covered up" by these four ministers of dis-information, each a half-cousin of Mr. Big, El Supremo, the Leader of the Pack. UN investigators become suspicious of a "completely innocent breast milk factory" and plan to investigate, but a moment's misdirection from the French, and the weapons are gone....."

Postby Guest » April 13th, 2003, 8:10 am

Just my 2 cents.

Yes cards are very good in making solders remember faces of wanted people. But I think U.S military showed a very bad taste when the published the information of these packs. Making it novelty and now people are trading them on ebay. Let's not forget that these people will be dead in the following months.

I for one do not want to play with dead people. Let alone do magic tricks.

If we start doing magic tricks with these kinds of cards, what next? Little funny story about vanishing Twin Towers? Little kids in Middle East having U.S politicians in their playing cards, look a Hollow trick? etc. etc.

I think the magic community will be better off if we just ignore these cards and let the military do their jobs while we entertain people.

Postby Guest » April 14th, 2003, 9:40 am

I second the observations of David L and Pekka Ketonen.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 14th, 2003, 9:56 am

The great thing about our country is that we can have different views on things :genii: .
Stay tooned.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 14th, 2003, 9:56 am

And who knows, one of the 55 might show up in one of our audiences and we can help capture 'em.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » April 14th, 2003, 10:02 am

I agree that doing war-related tricks seems to be in poor taste. Especially now, people want entertainment to take their minds off the war, not keep it on it. An exception might be if you're doing a job for the American Legion, but even then, how would you react if while doing war-topic tricks someone broke down in tears because they lost a family member?

IMHO tricks about the war, 9-11, etc., are right near the bottom of the barrel along with the Bra Trick, No Tickee No Washee, etc.

And, while I personally found the "two faced" pun to be vaguely humorous, we should remember that the community of magic is an international one, and magicians too may read these boards to escape from war news, etc. I know I do.

Postby Guest » April 14th, 2003, 3:00 pm

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
And who knows, one of the 55 might show up in one of our audiences and we can help capture 'em.
Pete...this is funny!!!
Maybe use these decks for The Sharpshooter or a Stabbed in the Pack effect?
As I posted elsewhere in the Genii forum, these cards are available now at a website www.GreatUSAflags.com

Postby Guest » April 14th, 2003, 4:31 pm

Originally posted by Rene Clement.:
Originally posted by Pete Biro:
[b]And who knows, one of the 55 might show up in one of our audiences and we can help capture 'em.
Pete...this is funny!!![/URL][/b]
Gigglepuss though I may be, I take this as proof positive that funny is relative.

Postby Guest » April 14th, 2003, 6:54 pm

I know that the spades are the swords of a soldier
---I know that the clubs are weapons of war
---I know that diamonds mean money for this art
---But that's not the shape of my heart.
-
---Sting & Dominic Miller

Postby Guest » April 15th, 2003, 8:15 am

I just read that the Pentagon issued less then 100 decks so basically the people on ebay making $300+ a deck are just downloading the PDF and having them printed up themselves.

Postby Guest » April 15th, 2003, 10:13 am

Originally posted by Curtis Kam:
I'm beginning to see just how bad this could be. Be afraid, be very afraid....
I don't know Curtis. That's actually a pretty funny patter line....

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 15th, 2003, 10:13 am

"Issued 100 decks" ??? Doesn't make sense, no one would print that few. Decks are not down to about $5 and less on ebay.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » April 15th, 2003, 1:58 pm

Still waiting to hear from Richard about his policy regarding political posts.

-David L.

Postby Guest » April 15th, 2003, 8:27 pm

I think you heard his reply. He's the boss.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » April 15th, 2003, 11:54 pm

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz.....

Return to “Buzz”