FALSE RUMORS ABOUT GENII

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

FALSE RUMORS ABOUT GENII

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 13th, 2002, 10:27 pm

I received an e-mail from a friend today who told me that a dealer just outside Chicago told him that he'd heard a rumor that the financial backers of Genii had pulled out, and that the magazine was in "trouble."
Knowing the way these rumors start and fly around the internet, I thought I would take this opportunity right NOW to inform everyone that the rumor is totally false.
In fact, Genii is now in the best economic health it's been since I took it over, and that's far better than it's been in many years prior to that.
I'm not really surprised since I've heard every damn kind of false rumor regarding the economic health of my book publishing business imaginable in the last 25 years, and it's funny how most of them seem to eminate from or near Chicago.
Don't listen to the jibber-jabber: Genii comes out early every month and will continue to do so.
I've got a new daughter and I've got to keep Genii going at least until she's old enough to take it over! ;)

[ February 13, 2002: Message edited by: Richard Kaufman ]
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Richard Kaufman

Re: FALSE RUMORS ABOUT GENII

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 14th, 2002, 9:15 am

Read this post if you've heard any rumors about Genii.

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » February 14th, 2002, 9:32 am

I am in the Chicago area and in contact with most the magicians and shops in the area and haven't heard this rumor. I have never heard anything but positive comments regarding "Genii" since you took it over. If I do hear any rumors I'll make sure to squash them right away.

David Acer

Postby David Acer » February 15th, 2002, 12:17 pm

I heard a rumour that Tom Dobrowolski hasn't heard any rumours, and I'm glad that's been confirmed.
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » February 15th, 2002, 2:48 pm

I recently started a rumor that David Acer has never been seen in the same room with Curly from the Three Stooges. Can anyone confirm this?

Terry

Postby Terry » February 16th, 2002, 4:49 am

Can anyone confirm this?

Yes. Curly has been dead for a number of years...course that hasn't stopped Keith Richards. Guess they dig him up every couple of years for a tour.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 16th, 2002, 8:34 am

We have had several dead columnists in Genii during the past three years: both Dai Vernon and Larry Jennings had columns for a while, and both AFTER they were deceased.
Of course, David Acer currently has a column, but he is not deceased, even though he resembles several different dead comedians, Not just Jerry Howard.

David Oliver

Postby David Oliver » February 16th, 2002, 10:36 am

Well, David Acer may not be dead, but I've certainly seen him die a horrible death on stage before!
(remember Mario's "Magic In The Mountains"?)
;) j/k

-David Oliver
- DO

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » February 18th, 2002, 10:54 am

David not only has your act died on several occasions but the music died several times at Monday Night Magic and Tannen's Jubilee.
Didnt someone right a song about that?

David Oliver

Postby David Oliver » February 18th, 2002, 7:01 pm

Brian-
Thanks for bringing up such traumatic events in my life (dead sound system nights at MNM and Jubilee). The music did die during the act - those two times, but I was able to develop a brand new, talking, comedy dove act on those nights! I will say, the act DEFINITELY died at Abbott's last summer (note to self - flashpaper, 100% temps, sweaty palms and dove loops don't mix - yikes! Flashpaper sticks to hands, bounces back at loops, burns 2 of 5 loops, becoming non-existant loops = very creative "squirt-out-the-bird" productions.) But dying on "several occasions"? Ouch!
"The night(s) the muuuuuusic died...."
Fond memories - thanks! :rolleyes:
- David Oliver
- DO

Alpen

Postby Alpen » February 18th, 2002, 8:04 pm

Back when I used to live in Boston, and the Green Street Grill was still running, I used to see David Oliver's act on a weekly basis (and on the contrary to getting bored with it, I actually learned something new each time I watched it.) The only times that I heard of the music dying, I only wish that I could have been there to see it... so that I could have learned from seeing David again. I don't recall David's ACT ever dying, maybe just the music. Anyways, just thought that I'd add that in, and David, if you read this, thank you.

Return to “General”