Just Kidding!!!

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Pete Biro

Just Kidding!!!

Postby Pete Biro » January 17th, 2003, 10:37 pm

Geno, for crying out loud... I was KIDDING... didn't you see all the emoticoms??? Like :D :eek: :( :rolleyes: :p

None of the Convention Board (I am one of them) had any idea what was coming... Rumor had it that Siegfried was going to "just be produced" from under a cloth. Instead he walked in, did his bit and left.

What P&T did caught all by surpise, even the Roast subject.

Kaufmann is right in his assessment of Jilette... he does not care. His statements at the Teen Luncheon were even worse!
Stay tooned.

Geno Munari

Re: Just Kidding!!!

Postby Geno Munari » January 17th, 2003, 10:52 pm

You still should resign.

Geno Munari

Postby Geno Munari » January 17th, 2003, 10:55 pm

I will be having dinner with RB and I will suggest an entire change to the present situation. The problem to me is that you have not taken a position. You probably do not have one.

Enough is enough.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » January 18th, 2003, 8:57 am

Geno... I do have a "position" on the roast. I think Penn went over the line.

Civilization, as we "knew it" is in deep trouble. Probably started with Dr. Spock telling parents to let kids to anything.

There is so little accountability for actions these days it makes one sick. When we grew up you wouldn't think of using 4-letter words in front of your Mother... today... good luck!

Role models today? Druggies, Gangsta Rappers... argh...

Good luck talking to RB... he has his ideas and is hard to change him.

Other than the roast the rest of the convention was quite good. Why didn't you come over and see it?

I always like to see and discuss things with you, and had hoped to see you there.

Yes the Penn bit did get a laugh... but as you know, shock humor gets laughs. Shock humor is so easy... the real humor takes a lot of talent to write.
Stay tooned.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 18th, 2003, 9:44 am

Geno, the people who must take full responsibility for Penn Jillete's actions are Rich Bloch, Glenn Farrington, and Joe Stevens. They allowed him to perform at the roast without knowing what he was going to do. I must add that ALL three of them were horrified by what they saw. Pete Biro, and the other board members (whose roles in the convention are insignificant these days) do NOT bear any responsibility.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » January 18th, 2003, 12:04 pm

Richard:
Is there the possibility that Jillette told them he would do one act, and substituted it for another?

Terry

Postby Terry » January 19th, 2003, 7:17 am

Civilization, as we "knew it" is in deep trouble. Probably started with Dr. Spock telling parents to let kids to anything.
There is so little accountability for actions these days it makes one sick.
When we grew up you wouldn't think of using 4-letter words in front of your Mother... today... good luck!
Role models today? Druggies, Gangsta Rappers... argh...
Yes the Penn bit did get a laugh... but as you know, shock humor gets laughs. Shock humor is so easy... the real humor takes a lot of talent to write.
Pete,
Great reply! Wholeheartedly agree. Most "comedians" who can't create will throw out the "F" word for the cheap laugh.

Most times when P & T are on TV, it is a rehash of old material. Could it be their "creativity" has dried up and they can only try to shock people?

TV is no better. Their attitude is 'just how far are you willing to push the button?'. Even CSI, one of the better shows, has added realistic graphics to increase the shock factor. Fear Factor? Since when has eating yak balls been a fear of anyones? The gross things these people eat are intended to shock people and not address someone's fears.

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » January 19th, 2003, 11:12 am

Probably started with Dr. Spock telling parents to let kids to anything.
Sorry, Pete and Terry. If you believe this, you have NOT read Dr. Spock. Just lies from the right-wing nutsos. (And yes, I just re-read the chapter on discipline before posting.)

Terry

Postby Terry » January 19th, 2003, 3:14 pm

If you believe this, you have NOT read Dr. Spock.
Steve,

My sister told me the same thing awhile back. My agreement was with Pete's statement as a whole. We HAVE gotten away from personal responsibility and look to blame others. Been that way since Adam & Eve.

Don't know about the "right wing" sentiment as much as misunderstanding. Let's NOT get a political statement rolling here... :D

Return to “Buzz”