Another Greater Magic reprint?

Discuss your favorite books, authors, and tricks from Kaufman and Company.

Another Greater Magic reprint?

Postby Guest » February 17th, 2006, 4:50 pm

Does anyone know (or ever care) if another Greater Magic reprint will be made available to this generation of magicians?

Should I hold my breath or keep looking on eBay?

Thanks.

Dan Smith

Re: Another Greater Magic reprint?

Postby Dan Smith » February 17th, 2006, 6:21 pm

Check with Ray Goulet at the Magic Arts Studio in Watertown, MA. I'm pretty sure he has a copy or two floating around.

Dan

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » February 19th, 2006, 8:42 pm

Pierredan,

Greater Magic can be found if you look in the right places.

Try here - http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/Boo ... sortby%3D2

and here http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/Boo ... sortby%3D2

These were the two cheapest....there are copies available up to nearly $400.

This one is the Kaufmann edition http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/Boo ... sortby%3D2

Good luck.

David Alexander

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » February 21st, 2006, 9:16 pm

One other observation....I would buy the Kaufman edition. It is on better paper and the pictures are reproduced far better than the original....and then there's all those extra pages and the additional history....a bigger bargain than when it originally came out.

Postby Guest » February 22nd, 2006, 10:29 am

David Alexander and Dan Smith, Thank you for you kind searches.

Unfortunately, I am not prepared to pay the asking price for the Kaufman edition (my preferred choice).

In light of the overall sentiment that Greater Magic is probably the greatest book on magic ever written, the fact that it has been out of print for many years and the resale value of the Kaufman edition on the secondary marker, I am curious if Richard intends to reprint it in the near future.

I assume Richard has either not seen my post or is keeping tight lipped about any future reprints.

Surely, I cannot be the only one who does not have this book in his library and who cannot wait for another reasonably priced copy to be released?

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » February 22nd, 2006, 12:36 pm

Pierre: I'm in Brockville, just up the road from you. I have two copies of Greater Magic for sale. The first is the one volume edition. It has no dustcover and was originally in a public library. It has been rebound.

The second is the five-volume set. Make me an offer!

Necromancer

Postby Necromancer » February 24th, 2006, 1:49 pm

Originally posted by pierredan:
Surely, I cannot be the only one who does not have this book in his library and who cannot wait for another reasonably priced copy to be released?
I'm with you, Pierre. What's the scoop, Mr. K?

Best,
Neil Tobin
Neil Tobin, Necromancer

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » February 28th, 2006, 12:46 pm

Pierre,

I've just come into possession of a Kaufman edition of Greater Magic. If you're interested, make me an offer.

David

Postby Guest » March 1st, 2006, 5:32 am

Hi David.

Could you email me. Thanks

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » March 3rd, 2006, 9:21 am

Happy to, but your email address isn't listed.

Postby Guest » March 3rd, 2006, 10:27 am

David,

Just click on the little envelope icon next to my name.

magicam

Postby magicam » March 3rd, 2006, 11:41 am

David Alexander wrote
One other observation....I would buy the Kaufman edition. It is on better paper and the pictures are reproduced far better than the original....and then there's all those extra pages and the additional history....a bigger bargain than when it originally came out.
Since I don't get the major conjuring magazines, I'm often in the dark on so-called "trickster" publications. Has anybody commented on the utility/value/relevance of the additional material in the RK edition?

Clay

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » March 3rd, 2006, 11:20 pm

Clay re: the additional pages in Greater Magic - As far as I'm concerned, had Richard Kaufman done nothing other than publish his edition of Greater Magic, he would have made a contribution to the literature equal to that of many others with multiple contributions.

While I already had a copy of GM in my library, I bought Richard's edition for the extra material....a wonderful trip through the history of the book and how it came to be, details of the writing process...how much Hugard was paid and how he was willing to betray whatever friendship he had with Nate Leipsig to include Leipsig's material that he'd withdrawn...lots of interesting details...and some magic, of course.

magicam

Postby magicam » March 4th, 2006, 12:54 am

Thanks, David.

I should have been more clear. For me, of course, the historical background is interesting reading, and there's little doubt in my mind about the utility/value/relevance of that material.

I was just curious -- and here's where I have no clue whatsoever -- about the utility, etc., (maybe, in a word, "quality"?) of the additional performance material. Just wondering what performers thought about it.

Postby Guest » March 5th, 2006, 11:59 am

Im looking for a copy of greater magic. If anyone has one still for sale, please let me know.

you can email me at nordatrax@yahoo.com

Im willing to trade for it (I've got quite a collection of books and videos) or purchase it straight up.

let me know.

Kurt Ruckman

Postby Kurt Ruckman » March 5th, 2006, 2:52 pm

I have Greater Magic (Kaufman edition) for sale. I put it up for sale here in January, but received no response. It's still for sale. $150 postpaid (in US). Condition is excellent, no dust jacket.

Postby Guest » March 23rd, 2006, 6:40 am

Just received a copy that I found for $100 Cnd.

Thank you all for your assistance.

Postby Guest » March 24th, 2006, 7:39 pm

surprisingly the most coveted edition that is actually used by professionals is the 5 volume set

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 24th, 2006, 7:54 pm

Mario, why would the five-volume set attract any attention?
The Jones family was very unhappy about it--that's one of the reasons they didn't allow the book to be reprinted for so many decades.
The paper is lousy, and it takes up a lot more room on the shelf.
So why the interest?
It certainly doesn't contain anything not present in the earlier printings.
And, it was printed in a large quantity so it's just as easy to locate as any other edition.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » March 24th, 2006, 10:23 pm

Just my experience, but Ive found that a complete set of the 5 volume edition is appreciably harder to find than single volume copies. At the moment, a quick search on the internet yields no complete sets of the former and more than half a dozen copies of the latter. Thats just a snapshot in time of course, so it may not reflect long-term availability trends. Someone like Mario or one of the other long-time dealers would be in a better position to comment on relative scarcity.

The reason for the Jones family unhappiness with the 5 volume set is not crystal clear from Richards post, but if its related to paper quality, I dont understand that. I have a copy of the first edition and a set of the 5 volume edition I see no significant difference in paper quality.

Clay

Postby Guest » April 4th, 2006, 12:51 am

It may be worth contacting www.magic-books.co.uk here in the UK.

I picked up my new and shrink-wrapped copy relatively recently.

Postby Guest » April 23rd, 2006, 9:58 am

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
Mario, why would the five-volume set attract any attention?
The Jones family was very unhappy about it--that's one of the reasons they didn't allow the book to be reprinted for so many decades.
The paper is lousy, and it takes up a lot more room on the shelf.
So why the interest?
It certainly doesn't contain anything not present in the earlier printings.
And, it was printed in a large quantity so it's just as easy to locate as any other edition.
The five-volumn or library edition is much easier to read, due to the smaller size of the books. Just reading the big volumn damages it, off-putting considering its value.

Return to “Kaufman & Company”