Eugene Burger Books

Discuss your favorite books, authors, and tricks from Kaufman and Company.
Mike

Eugene Burger Books

Postby Mike » August 20th, 2001, 8:05 pm

What was added to "Mastering the Art of Magic".If I have the indivual booklets is it worth getting the book? Also what items have people found to be the most useful in his books? What is everybody favorite books of his ? Lastly are any new books of Eugene planned?

Re: Eugene Burger Books

Postby Guest » September 1st, 2001, 12:57 pm

By all means, YES!!! I have a couple of the originals, and it is very much well worth it. Eugene has added a lot of new thoughts on the old routines, and the artwork adds quite a bit. Again, even though you may have the originals, get the new one. I think Richard and Eugene did a wonderful job. It's one of my favorites.
I have all of Eugene's books, except for those on spirit magic, and my favorite besides the new one is "Performance of Close-up Magic".
Rick

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 1st, 2001, 11:25 pm

Mike,
The original booklets had VERY few illustrations. One of my great pleasures in publishing Mastering the Art of Magic was putting in lots of Earle Oakes' great drawings to really let people SEE what was already in the text. In other cases, I could clarify Eugene's text with added illustrations. I don't think you'd be disappointed with the book!
And, yes, Eugene is working on a new book.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Mike

Postby Mike » September 2nd, 2001, 7:19 am

Richard, what topics will his new book cover? When will it be published? Thanks

Postby Guest » September 2nd, 2001, 10:46 pm

(Dancing around and panting like a happy dog).
Eugene has a new book coming out!???!
If it's anything like the others it will be great information, stuff magicians need, but don't want to hear.
I don't always agree with you Richard, but I admire your honesty and willingness to put out great publications, even if it does stir up a little controversy. Even on those times we don't agree, you definitely make me think.

Postby Guest » September 6th, 2001, 12:39 am

i think the new eugene burger book is GREAT. however that is mainly becasue at the time he wrote those little booklets, i think was a time when he actually had something to say. performance of, and experience of, are also good, but i think he gets a bit tiresome in some of his magazine articles. i mean, i know he is very respected, and with good reason, but take a break for a while. a lot of magic IS IN THE DOING.

Postby Guest » September 9th, 2001, 7:23 am

I think Eugene's writing is always very much
about 'the doing'.He reminds me of Bruce Lee
who's philosophy was always about the practical issues of combat.
Could you tell us ANYTHING about the new book Richard?

Dave Shepherd

Postby Dave Shepherd » September 9th, 2001, 7:25 am

Originally posted by John Blaze:
i think the new eugene burger book is GREAT. however that is mainly becasue at the time he wrote those little booklets, i think was a time when he actually had something to say. performance of, and experience of, are also good, but i think he gets a bit tiresome in some of his magazine articles. i mean, i know he is very respected, and with good reason, but take a break for a while. a lot of magic IS IN THE DOING.

I must say I couldn't disagree more. Mr. Burger's column is frequently the first thing I read straight through. Just because he isn't offering tricks and/or specific "do it this way" kinds of advice does not make his column less valuable.

What he is talking about in the articles is all about making some sense of the "doing" we do when we perform magic.

I for one think he still has quite a lot to say.

Respectfully,
Dave Shepherd

Postby Guest » September 9th, 2001, 12:23 pm

I am not a person who can't think for himself. However, like anyone else, my thinking is sometimes stimulated by someone else who has been where I've been. Eugene does that for me. I've had several occasions in which I'd been in a particular performing situation, then reading one of his columns or books, found the exact answer I was looking for in that situation.
Eugene makes me think. He's more of a magical philosopher, raising questions no one else would, or could. I don't agree with everything the man says, but I do respect that he does think about what he does, as should we all.

Postby Guest » September 9th, 2001, 12:34 pm

you guys bring up good points. the other thing though is, why can't he ever ANSWER A QUESTION? perhaps from a philosphical point of view, he WANTS US to find the answers, but really, if someone asks eugene his favorite card effects...can't he just tell us? instead of asking more questions. just TELL US WHAT YOU LIKE! that's all we asked sometimes.

Return to “Kaufman & Company”