Bound editions of Pabular and Magicana

Discuss your favorite books, authors, and tricks from Kaufman and Company.
Edwin Corrie

Bound editions of Pabular and Magicana

Postby Edwin Corrie » June 8th, 2002, 2:13 pm

I was delighted to see the recent adverts for the bound edition of Pabular Vols 1 and 2, but very disappointed to learn that they were apparently unauthorised. I was on the brink of placing an order, and am now contemplating the CD-ROM instead.

I contacted Martin Breese, who is selling a CD-ROM of the full set of Pabular (because it seems he is the one who actually owns the rights to it) to ask if there was any chance of bound paper editions. He said that Kaufman and Company had shown some interest, so I was wondering if anything is likely to happen in the near or not-so-near future. The CD-ROM would be an excellent reference tool, but personally I would prefer to have a set of bound volumes to leaf through instead of printing out odd pages or else spending even more hours staring at a computer screen than I already do. It was also interesting to hear the comments in a recent posting about the quality of current CD-ROM magic magazines.

Also, I would like to add my support to recent requests on the Genii Forum for a bound edition of Magicana. I find it much easier to remember what book a trick is in than what issue of a magazine it is in, and a collection of all the tricks (including those not actually from the Magicana section) would make a great book.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Bound editions of Pabular and Magicana

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 8th, 2002, 5:28 pm

Edwin,
I am contemplating a two-volume bound edition of Pabular, and have a deal in place, but it's a hell of a lot of money to publish 1400 pages! $20,000! Lots of people have already purchased vol.1 of the illegal reprint by Sam Gringras.
As to "Magicana"--yes, we ARE going to do a large book on it. I'm going to put my five-month old daughter Emma in charge of the project because she has a lot of free time on her hands. Her pops doesn't have any!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » June 8th, 2002, 10:36 pm

Wasn't there supposed to be a book collecting Vernon's column?

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » June 10th, 2002, 3:49 pm

Since I already have all the Pabulars and the excellent Pabular index, my vote is for a complete reprint of THE GEN. For one thing, it has a lot of the kind of stand-up magic everyone is looking for, as well as a lot of other really interesting stuff. I have a few copies and they all have something interesting in them.

Asser Andersen

Postby Asser Andersen » June 11th, 2002, 3:36 am

How about doing some pre-publication activity to get advance orders (maybe even payment) for a bound edition of Pabular.

You could put me on the list as number one.

Regards
Asser Andersen

Edwin Corrie

Postby Edwin Corrie » June 11th, 2002, 12:51 pm

The popularity poll for Pabular is a good idea. Put me down as number two.

These bound editions of old magazines are a great thing for those of us who were not around to get the originals, and hopefully it will only be a matter of time before all the old classics are available in this form. Many of them have the added advantage of a complete index and extra material (the Collected Almanac was wonderful for this as well as for its magic content). I didn't get the recent Kabbala and Heirophant reprints because I already had the previous bound editions - minus indexes - and I'm a bit sorry now to have forked out on all the original back issues of Apocalypse for the same reason. When I bought them Harry Lorayne said they would not be reissued in bound volumes, but I suppose we can all change our minds.

While we're on the subject, I wonder if we will ever see a bound edition of The Cardiste. From the few original issues I've seen it would need completely redoing.

Edwin Corrie

Postby Edwin Corrie » June 12th, 2002, 3:09 pm

Richard,

I meant to post a quick message thanking you for your reply to my original question. Obviously the illegal edition could put paid to many potential purchasers of your projected volumes, but I hope it can still be a worthwhile undertaking.

I also know that you have plenty of other projects on the go, and as the father of a 2-year old girl myself I understand the problem of lack of time.

One last (?) thought on the Magicana book - perhaps it could be done as several volumes, one on cards, one on coins, etc. etc. Or would that spread the material too thin? Just an idea.

Josh Mandel
Favorite Magician: Eugene Burger

Postby Josh Mandel » July 11th, 2002, 3:30 pm

Just to add my voice to the others: I'd be greatly interested in an authorized print version of the Pabular collection.

I'm unwilling to buy the unauthorized version, and I'm simply having a difficult time justifying the purchase of CDs produced on a small scale (such as the Pabular collection). The lifespan of these CDs is open to question; according to BusinessWeek, some are known to start losing their integrity after as little as 4 years. (Depending on what's lost, the entire disk may become unusable at that point.) Granted that we can expect most CDs to have a much greater lifespan than 4 years, but really, considering that I have books in my library in great shape after 80 years, I'd far rather invest in books than in CDs.

--Josh

Robert Kane

Postby Robert Kane » July 11th, 2002, 5:11 pm

I have heard that the Pabular authorized/unauthorized issue is not clear.

Apparently, Mr. Gringrass claims to have purchased the right to publish the bound Pabular and that Mr. Breese is incorrect on the matter.

Gringrass also pointed out that he prevously published re-prints of Pabular in smaller editions and the magic community made no adverse comment at the time.

I don't really know or understand all of the details, but is it possible that two individuals in different countries were both sold rights to publish? Didn't somewhat similar issues occur with some Marlo material?

We may want to get all of the facts before we start making claims about which edition is authorized and which is not.

Anyway, re the poll...I would love to see The Sphinx republished as well Magicana.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 11th, 2002, 7:00 pm

Regarding the reprint of Pabular: this is not the first time that Rabbi Sam Gringras has done something like this: he illegally reproduced Peter Warlock's magazine The Pentagram a few years ago.
I can personally speak to the fact of Gringras' integrity: he hired me to illustrate a book almost 20 years ago. I am STILL waiting for the second half of the money.
Martin Breese has a signed contract with Nick Bolton (who was the publisher of Pabular) that we have all seen. Rabbi Gringras claims to have a signed contract that NO ONE has seen--he claims he can't find it. Give me a break!
Regarding the Marlo material, Muriel Marlo sold the exclusive rights to Lee Freed. End of story.

pduffie

Postby pduffie » July 12th, 2002, 1:22 am

Hi Robert (Kane)

>We may want to get all of the facts before we
>start making claims about which edition is
>authorized and which is not.

We already have all the facts. Gringrass failed to pay the owner of Pabular (Nick Bolton) "any" money. Martin Breese recently did.

>Gringrass also pointed out that he prevously
>published re-prints of Pabular in smaller
>editions and the magic community made no adverse
>comment at the time.

That's because Nick Bolton owned the rights, and Nick has been pretty much out of magic for 20 years, or so. So he was unaware. During this time Gringrass had led everyone to believe he owned Pabular. So why would anyone complain?

Best Wishes

Peter

Jamie Badman

Postby Jamie Badman » July 12th, 2002, 5:34 am

It's a real shame, isn't it ?

The Bound version would have been the best to buy but if it's being printed illegally, cannot be supported.

But the CD version lacks all of the Jerry Sadowitz material - Martin Breese has removed it - presumably because of earlier disputes regarding the publication of CardZones. Certainly not because Jerry Sadowitz refused to let Martin Breese publish his Pabular material.

I find it horrendous that this material should be removed - and the purchaser is not told that this has happened! For all intents and purposes, someone buying the CD version thinks they have the complete Pabular. History has been altered.

People reprinting publications like this have a moral duty to do so correctly and accurately or at least document their alterations.

Jamie.

Robert Kane

Postby Robert Kane » July 12th, 2002, 7:26 am

Peter & Richard: Many thanks for the clarification and history on the publishing rights for Pabular. This makes sense and I appreciate your taking the time to share an explanation. Regards, Robert :)

Postby Guest » September 21st, 2002, 12:26 pm

Originally posted by Jamie Badman:

I find it horrendous that this material should be removed - and the purchaser is not told that this has happened! For all intents and purposes, someone buying the CD version thinks they have the complete Pabular. History has been altered.
I second that.

Euan

Dave Egleston

Postby Dave Egleston » September 21st, 2002, 9:57 pm

Mr. Kaufman;
I also would put payment up front on either or both of these projects sight unseen - Also, I saw another posting about this being the centenary for EXPERT AT THE TABLE and there would probably be several new editions issued in the coming months - Do you have an inside line on this information?

Dave

Postby Guest » October 7th, 2002, 4:19 pm

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
...Regarding the Marlo material, Muriel Marlo sold the exclusive rights to Lee Freed. End of story.
He actually spent money on something other than another suit? Sounds suspicious to me. ;-)
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
http://www.stores.ebay.ca/abstagecraft

Postby Guest » October 11th, 2002, 1:43 am

Sorry for asking ,but who is Lee Freed?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 11th, 2002, 9:53 am

Lee Freed goes by the moniker of "The Impossibilist" and is a mentalist and magician from New Orleans.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » October 11th, 2002, 4:57 pm

Didn't Peter Reveen bill himself as the "Impossiblist" back when he was touring his illusion show? If so, who came first?

(And let's have no cracks about me jumping into Mr. Peabody's "Wayback Machine" with Sherman)

Return to “Kaufman & Company”