Tarbell 9?

Discuss your favorite books, authors, and tricks from Kaufman and Company.
Michael Edwards

Tarbell 9?

Postby Michael Edwards » June 26th, 2003, 10:06 am

Richard: A while ago (just before Tarbell 8), you discussed putting out a ninth volume in the Tarbell series. What ever happened to that project? Is it still in development?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Tarbell 9?

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 26th, 2003, 7:33 pm

Tarbell 9: dead as a doornail.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » June 26th, 2003, 7:53 pm

There's a Tarbell 8?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 26th, 2003, 8:51 pm

Poopsie, you've been lost in the wilderness. About ten years ago D. Robbins published Tarbell 8. The original idea came from Steve Burton, who figured out exactly how much of the material in the original Tarbell System 60-lesson correspondance course never made it into the first 7 volumes. It turns out to have been quite a bit. After he excerpted all of this material and organized it, the publisher brought me in to complete the job, which consisted of gathering additional material of Tarbell's that had never been reprinted, plus whatever else I could scrape up, lay the whole thing out, etc. My goal was to create a book that was almost wholly written and illustrated by Tarbell of material that was not in the first seven volumes.
Thus, Tarbell 8 is a legitimate addition to the series.
Tarbell 9 would have been entirely new material, which I would have had to write and illustrate. My fee for doing the book would not have covered the cost of the illustrations alone, and so I bowed out and returned my advance.
I believe Tarbell 8 will be the final book in the series.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » June 26th, 2003, 10:22 pm

Poopsie?

Could be worse..."Sweetiekins" comes immediately to mind.

I have an issue with Tarbell 8. The book is 5/16ths of an inch taller than the rest of the series. Unconscionable! The only thing I can think of that is worse is the disparity of format size between Racherbaumer's Card Finesse (published by Danny Korem) and the L&L published Card Finesse II. That difference, one inch in height and almost an inch and a half in width, is horrific!

Details, details, details.

Dustin

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » June 27th, 2003, 12:02 pm

Dustin,

I suggest you review Jim Riser's page on trimming playing cards. A judicious use of the same methods to your books will give you the result you desire.

Jeff

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » June 27th, 2003, 12:25 pm

Jeff;
If Dustin carefully applies shrinking fluid to the offending oversized tomes, he can reduce them in size to match the others. It's quicker than trimming.

BTW - the same fluid is great for making diminishing cards, balls, etc. You must be careful when using it, though. If you spill some on your table, you end up with Roth's little coin through table type mini-table! :D
Jim

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » June 27th, 2003, 2:53 pm

Jim,

The only problem with the fluid is that the text and illustrations inside the book get smaller, too. That would play havok with Dustin's ability to read them.

I still think chopping off the offending parts is more practical.

Jeff

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » June 27th, 2003, 3:12 pm

Jeff;
I did not realize that Dustin had an vision problem. I have a slightly larger trimmer for books:
http://www.jamesriser.com/Magic/LargeTrimmer.jpg

I would not suggest trying it for finger nails!
Jim

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » June 27th, 2003, 4:01 pm

Originally posted by Jim Riser:
If Dustin carefully applies shrinking fluid to the offending oversized tomes, he can reduce them in size to match the others...You must be careful when using it, though. If you spill some on your table, you end up with Roth's little coin through table type mini-table!
Will it work on my waistline??? But then again, with my luck, I'd spill it in my lap...

mark

Postby mark » June 27th, 2003, 4:15 pm

BTW - the same fluid is great for making diminishing cards, balls, etc.

Well gee whiz Dustin, it isn't as if Jim didn't warn ya, keep it away from yer lap!

Return to “Kaufman & Company”