jennings books

Discuss your favorite books, authors, and tricks from Kaufman and Company.
Eddie

jennings books

Postby Eddie » November 19th, 2002, 4:20 am

Hi do you have any idea when your follow up books to Jennings 67 will be published . Thanks for your time Eddie.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: jennings books

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 19th, 2002, 8:19 am

I've been working on "Mr. Jennings Takes It Easy" for years, and it's about 300 pages long without a single illustration. Still have about a half dozen items to explain. Earle Oakes has already done some of the drawings.
It's really a massive work, but it has to be to properly explain Jennings' work.
I've also got about 100 pages written for the third book, "Mr. Jennings Takes it Tough."
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » November 19th, 2002, 1:06 pm

By the time they're finally published the materials will be dated. ;)

How about start offering us pre-publication sale as a motivation to finish them? :D

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 19th, 2002, 1:38 pm

Jennings' material does not date. The mediocre sales of "Jennings '67" saddened me because for some reason people are under the impression that if a trick wasn't created last year it's not good. Jennings' material is better than 99% of anything that comes out, even if it's 30 years old.
If everyone who asks me when the next Jennings book is coming out bought "Jennings '67," I'd probably find more time to get it done!

Postby Guest » November 19th, 2002, 1:38 pm

I think Mr. Kaufman has quite a few important projects right now one in particular. I am greatly looking forward to the New Jennings books, However I came to a conclusion a while ago, The Jennings books will come out when they are finished, We will just have to wait. and for the moment I guess I will have to tide myself over by reading excellent issues of Genii Magazine each month and enjoying this forum. Later

Noah Levine

Larry Horowitz

Postby Larry Horowitz » November 19th, 2002, 5:01 pm

Gordon Bean once wrote, and I paraphrase. If you want to fool someone with something new, look in an old book.

Postby Guest » November 19th, 2002, 5:48 pm

I am currenty borrowing Noah's copy of '67. I love it!! It is just the type of attention grabbing remarkeable reputation making card magic I have been searching for in newer books. Please, I can wait a very long time for the next Jennings book if it is that good. Thank you Noah for letting me freeload off of your library yet again. And thank you Mr. Kaufman for the exceptional clarity and quality of '67

thanks
DJM

Postby Guest » November 19th, 2002, 10:30 pm

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
Jennings' material does not date.
I wholeheartedly agreed. As Rod Stewart once said, "I was only joking..."

Postby Guest » November 20th, 2002, 1:53 pm

From one response does a thunder clap arise:

Originally posed by Dan Millstein:

I am currenty (sic) borrowing Noah's copy of '67. I love it!! It is just the type of attention grabbing remarkeable (sic) reputation making card magic I have been searching for in newer books. .. Thank you Noah for letting me freeload off of your library yet again. And thank you Mr. Kaufman for the exceptional clarity and quality of '67
For Pete's sake Dan, why not just buy the book from "Kauf" if you are so stinkin' appreciative?

--Randy Campbell

P.S. And get a damn Genii subscription while you're at it. (If you do not already ;) )

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 20th, 2002, 2:03 pm

No one has called me "Kauf" since my days at summer camp. I want it to stay that way ... please. :)

Postby Guest » November 20th, 2002, 2:26 pm

First of all Dan didn't really borrow the book from me. I had him borrow it. He had intentions to buy the book but I thought it might be a good idea for him to make sure it wasn't beyond his skill level. Also Dan is a kind, humble guy who tries, maybe a, little too hard not to bother people. However you feel you can use an unkind tone with him and randomly assume that he doesn't get a subscription to genii (which he does).

Noah Levine

Postby Guest » November 20th, 2002, 2:44 pm

Okay, I do rush my posts a little spelling wise. I am sorry. As for buying the book, I am trying to check on which Jennings book I should buy, 67 or Classic Magic. I was a little daunted by Jenings' work, so being able to look at it thanks to Noah's kindness has given me a good perspective as to where I am.

DJM

P.S. Maybe I will invest in a good spell checker

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 20th, 2002, 4:20 pm

Dan, I don't think there's any question that there are more superb routines in Classic Magic of LJ than in Jennings '67. However, I can vouch for the descriptions in my book: many of the items in Classic Magic are described poorly with vital details left out.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » November 20th, 2002, 4:30 pm

Richard,

I thought your doctor called you that. Doesn't he say "Turn your head, Kauf"?

P.S. This fine post is a living tribute to the possibilities of the Genii Forum.

Doug Brewer

Postby Doug Brewer » November 22nd, 2002, 8:32 am

Mr. Kaufman - I loved Jennings 67. I felt like I was taking a stroll with Larry 30 years ago - especially seeing the progression of the Invisible Palm Aces routine. Great stuff. Why the low sales, I can't imagine. I know many card guys who didn't buy it, who should have. I, for one, will wait patiently for the next book and I WILL buy it.

Postby Guest » November 22nd, 2002, 11:21 am

I greatly enjoyed Jenning's '67 and hope, Richard, you can find the time to finish the other books. Based on your other recent posts on the poor economics of magic book publishing, I fear the day when all we are left with is E Books and Videos. Sure they serve a useful purpose but I love going to my library and hefting a book off the shelf and revisting it over and over. I can't think of a video I've ever watched more than a couple of times and I won't take them on a plane.....

CHRIS

Postby CHRIS » November 22nd, 2002, 12:04 pm

Originally posted by Richard Bibb:
... I fear the day when all we are left with is E Books and Videos ...
Jump back in time a few hundred years into the 15th century:

Monk Alfonso: "Kris, have you seen this new bible from this peasant Gutenberg? Look at that garbage. It is printed with a movable letter press, not written. I wonder how long that fad will last."

Monk Kris: "But consider the implications. One can now print many copies of the same book much cheaper and faster. More people will be able to read the bible and study the gospel."

Monk Alfonso: "I can't imagine ever reading a PRINTED book. See how beautiful our hand copies are? It's a pleasure for the eye. I just feel so warm and fuzzy when I open our hand colored and hand written bibles. And what is paper compared to parchment? Paper - ha! Will never succeed. Everybody can see that. It just feels ugly. Yikes!"

Monk Kris: "Alfonso, I think you can't see the benefits. Yes, a hand written book on parchment is a wonderful thing. But only kings can afford it. What about the commoner? Everybody should have access to knowledge. Printed paper books seem to me a fine thing in lowering production cost and increasing the number of books available."

---
History is repeating itself!
---

Jump forward a few hundred years to 25th century:

Aonzo: "Xiz, have you seen the latest brainwave-info-containers, short BICs? Some lunatic said they will replace our ebooks. What, is he crazy this guy? Nothing will replace our ebooks. I count more than 15 million Lybrary.com ebooks in my personal collection. I will never give that up for no brainwave thing."

Xiz: "Aonzo, I think you should first try these BICs before you come to conclusions. One great thing is that you don't even have to read these BICs anymore. They get uploaded into your brain instantly. It is almost like you have read for thousand of years but only spend a few minutes uploading a BIC."

Aonzo: "Yeah, right! Uploading?! I prefer searching in my ebooks. See, it is so easy. Type in your keyword hit search and here they are, all sentences in my 15 million ebooks with this keyword. It is such a pleasure to snuggle into my computer corner and open an old digital Erdnase and sip on my green tee. I love the glow of my monitor in the dark room. You can't have that with a BIC. What do you do with a BIC once it is in your brain? You can't put it on your shelf, can you? Look there - see the silver discs on the wall? These are all my ebooks neatly on silver discs in cases in a shelf. That's my library. I can step up to it open a jewel case, think of old times, plug it into the drive and enjoy it. BICs - give me a break."

Onwards ... as Jon would say.

Chris....
preserving magic one book at a time.

Dave Egleston

Postby Dave Egleston » November 22nd, 2002, 6:56 pm

Chris
-PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!! Give us a break - We know and appluade your efforts on the ebook front - Could you please not cram it down our throats after every post?? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE We're begging you
Let me help - Chris sells ebooks - please check his web site - You can find his website address about every fifth posting on every topic on this forum
Now how about sending Mr Kaufman a P.O. for the advertisement?

Dave

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » November 22nd, 2002, 8:28 pm

Originally posted by Chris Wasshuber:
Jump back in time a few hundred years into the 15th century....
...where you could see and touch and feel the craftwork in every manuscript.

About digital media...

For me, the monitor screen is a HORRIBLE place to really read. By this I mean the kind of reading that involves considering the word choices and paragraph construction.

I asked someone else in the field. Here is their idea: include a diskette with the eContent with the book. So long as copyright is not violated, there is little conflict.

Now make peace and profit :)
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 22nd, 2002, 8:35 pm

When we first switched to computers, I would still print out manuscripts and read and edit from the hard copy. As the years have gone by, however, and it is now a full decade since my first computer, it has become easier to edit "on screen."
I find reading on screen, however, to be unpleasant. And, of course, it has to be done at my desk, my work place. My place for leisure is on the couch in my living room, where I read magazines and books. I certainly don't read them at my desk! I want to get away from the damn desk! Why would I want to read a damn e-book at my desk?

CHRIS

Postby CHRIS » November 23rd, 2002, 3:25 am

You guys are pretty tight. It was meant as a funny post. If you can't see the humor you should get up shake yourself loose and re-read it.

BTW Dave, you will find in the January issue of Genii an advertisement of Lybrary.com. I don't understand your point how that would change anything here on the forum but I am sure it will please you.

Just for the record I didn't start with ebooks in this thread. You should blame the right person if you think it was inapropriate.

Chris Wasshuber
preserving magic one book at a time.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 23rd, 2002, 4:55 pm

Chris, I think that because of some or your past postings, a few of our members are a little sensative to things you post now.
By the way, in Chris' ad in the new Genii, he mentions that he will be putting out "The Sphinx" soon. That should make many of you smile.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » November 23rd, 2002, 6:39 pm

No one has called me "Kauf" since my days at summer camp. I want it to stay that way ... please. :)
Yeah. I always call him 'Fman.

Matt Field

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » November 23rd, 2002, 10:48 pm

Chris' ad in the new Genii, he mentions that he will be putting out "The Sphinx" soon. That should make many of you smile.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Postby Guest » November 24th, 2002, 8:29 am

JENNINGS 67 is a great book with a terrible title. Richard, is the reason for titling the books as you're doing because of the copyright issues you mentioned in THE COLLECTED ALMANAC? If so, then of course, I understand.
I think too, that once all three books are out as a set, sales for all will go up. Even though they still won't LOOK like a trilogy!
The main difference between JENNINGS 67 and the other books you've done (Roth, Dingle, Hamman) is that the others were more of collections of a lifetime of work...What the Jennings books WILL be, when all three are out, no?
While on the subject, what does everyone think of THE CARDWRIGHT and NEO CLASSICS, and having the major Jennings hardcover books, is a book like ON CARD AND COIN HANDLING neccasary?

Jeff Eline

Postby Jeff Eline » November 24th, 2002, 8:50 am

When was Jennings 67 printed?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 24th, 2002, 9:43 am

John: The material from "Larry Jennings on Card and Coin Handling" has not been reprinted in any of the books.
It never occurred to me that the book sold poorly because of the title! Could magicians be that short-sighted?
Jeff: "Jennings '67" was published in November 1997.

Postby Guest » November 24th, 2002, 1:42 pm

The material from "Larry Jennings on Card and Coin Handling" has not been reprinted in any of the books.

And this is truly a shame as there is some fantastic material in that pamphlet.

Mike

ori ashkenazy

Postby ori ashkenazy » November 24th, 2002, 3:46 pm

In fact, I was never aware of Jennings '67 being your publication. If ever I saw the title (which I don't recall seeing, although I regularly read both Genii & Magic magazines) I thought it was a way people refered to LJ on cards & coins.
Sorry, but true, and I am ashamed, especialy since LJ was my teacher.
I already ordered the book, but speaking about Larry's books...I have a question:
It is about a trick he once did for me and I hadn't seen in his books. He called it "Progressive Trapped", and it was a sandwich effect. He had a real nice handling for it and I wonder if this is written anywhere.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 24th, 2002, 4:58 pm

Ori, the trick is called "The Searchers" and it appears in Richard's Almanac

Postby Guest » November 25th, 2002, 7:21 am

John: The material from "Larry Jennings on Card and Coin Handling" has not been reprinted in any of the books.
It never occurred to me that the book sold poorly because of the title! Could magicians be that short-sighted?
Jeff: "Jennings '67" was published in November 1997.
I cannot believe that this statement comes from the same man who just published a book called "Sexy Magic."

The title Jennings '67 and the black and white picture of a young Larry Jennings on the book's dustjacket implied to me, and I presume a few others, that the book was about early Jennings magic. It's not a very descriptive title.

The book itself is easily has the best writing and illustrations of all of Jennings books. The material is strong, but the best Jenning's stuff is in The Classic Magic of Larry Jennings. The Invisible Palm Aces section of Jennings '67 is wonderful.

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » November 25th, 2002, 8:03 am

While on the subject, what does everyone think of THE CARDWRIGHT and NEO CLASSICS, and having the major Jennings hardcover books, is a book like ON CARD AND COIN HANDLING neccasary?
The Cardwright is my favorite of Larry's books, specifically because it contains "Slow Motion Larry," an excellent handling of the slow-motion ace assembly. The Busby book contains Larry's Chop Cup routine, though we who were subscribing to Genii in 1965 already knew that routine from Magicana. It is arguably the best routine to appear in Magicana over the years.

Return to “Kaufman & Company”