RonBauer Private Studies Series

Discuss your favorite books, authors, and tricks from Kaufman and Company.

RonBauer Private Studies Series

Postby Guest » November 20th, 2002, 2:40 pm

Does any one know about the Ron Bauer Private Studies Series?
Does anyone do them?
I have learned a few of the Tricks from the Private Studies Series and I am surprise to see the difference from the ticks I did, compared to the Private Studies Series.
These trick are grate!
I was just wondering if I am the only one out there who has notice the difference?

Chuck

Steve Hook

Re: RonBauer Private Studies Series

Postby Steve Hook » November 20th, 2002, 2:48 pm

Chuck:

I did a search at Genii Forum and found these links: Ron Bauer and Ron Bauer Private Studies Series, 2 NEW RELEASES!!! . Lots of good comments there.

Steve H

Postby Guest » November 20th, 2002, 5:36 pm

thanks
Steve,
I am new to this and did not know about the :) search.
thanks

Postby Guest » November 20th, 2002, 6:12 pm

If you arei n The Second DEal web site, a few months ago I listed one or two notes on this and was followed with a wonderful one from another reader.
I love what I received and the site enables one to watch the details of the various sleights.
but,I got lazy,too much reading and willawait--someday--to see the performances. Besides,we started off well but I found its webmaster John D to be crude, and rude (does "crude" come from "rude"?)
Marty J (Kaplan)

Postby Guest » November 20th, 2002, 6:49 pm

MartinJ
what happen?
why would anyone be "crude" and"rude".
and to not answer your question (does "crude" come from "rude"?)
crude comes before rude.
:confused:

i have been to the site and i think it is the best Looking and professional made web site.
just in case any one wanted the web address
www.thinklikeaconjurer.com
Chuck :genii: :D

Postby Guest » November 20th, 2002, 9:31 pm

can't believe I just bleeped off my long note. In brief, I thought I found a confusing error in a description of a move. He was annoyed and had an "oh ,yeah, show me" attitude. I did and then asked for help on it. He was very defensive about the ostensible perfection of these re-publicatons and got worse when I then pointed out that there was also a grammatical error (the intro says.."don't practice WRONG"". Don't practice WRONG? What kind of English is that? One may do the wrong thing but he/she should not practice 'incorrectly'.
His help on the move and gratitude for the grammatical issue? He sent me this vituperative response of dissertation length that admonished and that before I criticize anyone I should check my spelling, check my terrible (he's right) typing...and spent an entire page just attacking my spellng and typing. What does that have to do with anything or any of the issues? My response was to point out that he was rude, crude and other things that start with the 6th letter of the alphabet. Prior to that,when I would say such things as "great site; esp the videos cause I'm too lazy to try to figure things out,his rsponse was, "well. I wouldn't brag about being lazy" So you can see, bright he isn't.
PS I was hoping that I did not have to correct the order of "crude" and "rude" but just sharing that discovery of the use and meaning of the 'root', which I had never noticed till I was typing it.
MartyJ

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » November 20th, 2002, 9:38 pm

Originally posted by MartinJ:
...and got worse when I then pointed out that there was also...
MartyJ
Some people respond more kindly to such observations when asked about the material at issue.

I tend to get the least blowback when I ask what the author means by "..x.." as I get stuck at the [x] and am not sure what needs to happen next.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Postby Guest » November 21st, 2002, 8:47 am

Jon.

you are so right, and have a wonderful sensitivy to matters interpersonal. I did indeed start by asking for help on the description. When asked to find that specific--only 3 words I think--"error" he added something like "ha,ha; you'll look along time" I found itand said, something like,'now what youd tink". And then he started in and I kept up with him, or surpassed him.
Thanks, Marty

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 21st, 2002, 12:10 pm

Marty, I'm not surprised by the response you received: Ron Bauer's friends think he can do no wrong and couldn't possibly ever make a mistake!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Lance Pierce

Postby Lance Pierce » November 21st, 2002, 12:23 pm

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
Marty, I'm not surprised by the response you received: Ron Bauer's friends think he can do no wrong and couldn't possibly ever make a mistake!
Hmm. I wonder what it is about the man that can instill that kind of loyalty? I certainly wouldn't mind having a bit of it.

L-

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 21st, 2002, 12:27 pm

Lance, you are feeling sleepy, sleepy, a dark cloud is descending over you ...
You think Genii is the best magazine in the history of the world and that its editor is a genius beyond compare and has never written a bad book. NEVER EVER.
You will wake up at the end of this sentence.

Well, Lance, does that answer your question?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » November 21st, 2002, 12:47 pm

its editor is a genius beyond compare and has never written a bad book. NEVER EVER.
I am hypnotato.

Limtricks is my favorite book!!

Huh? Wha happened?

Matt Field

Lance Pierce

Postby Lance Pierce » November 21st, 2002, 12:52 pm

Lance, you are feeling sleepy, sleepy, a dark cloud is descending over you ...
You think Genii is the best magazine in the history of the world and that its editor is a genius beyond compare and has never written a bad book. NEVER EVER.
You will wake up at the end of this sentence.
Wha-? Hm? Hah? Oh, my god, I just had the worst nightmare. ::shudder::

L-

Postby Guest » November 21st, 2002, 1:11 pm

Rich,
Thanks for the support, it alwys helps; you know all these people. The rest of the postings--very clever; great bunch,great camaraderie.
Marty

Postby Guest » November 21st, 2002, 7:30 pm

MartinJ
I am very curious about how you were treated "crude and rude,"
i happen to be friends with a John D. and he is one of the nicest friends I know.
I am Guessing that you could have read an email in the way of being crude and rude and took it that way.
By the way I think you misspelled the word ALWAYS you used "alwys". :rolleyes:

Chuck

Postby Guest » November 21st, 2002, 9:52 pm

Chuck,
It is always nice to hear good things about people. I thought the example I gave however,indicated "rude" and "crude". If I care for the sake of"soft skills" to criticise myself as "lazy",it is hardly gracious to write back, "yeah, well I wouldn't brag about that. Ha, Ha, Ha." Or,"who are you to criticise anyone. Your typing is terrible, who can read it,what about the spelling" (which of course is the same as typing since I am more than pretty good at spelling, it is the typing that is poor') "Before you criticise someone else etc. etc..." Except as a counter attack, what has that to do with the price of eggs? All I needed was help on the Convincing Control move and I thought that either the write up was in error, or, I needed it explained to me.

When I had first pointed out the "error" John was so nasty and haughty, with a "yeah wise guy; show me" attitude. When I did, he exploded all over me. That lacks grace, or even just good sa salesmanship; after all I am a cusotmer and had touted his products on TSD. So, nice guys are not necessarily good typists, even of the word "always", but they try to be at least gracious --not highly defensive little,very little, puny men. They try to answer the item and stick to the issue and not attack the person (argumentum ad hominem) Politicians of little integrity do that all the time; never address the issue,instead attack the opponent, call him names ("Communist" works well, "liberal" too). For my money, not only is he not bright,he lacks grace, sophistication, manners and--oh well, there it is. I'm both glad that you enjoy his company and that I do not have to.

Postby Guest » November 22nd, 2002, 7:37 am

THIS IS AN OPEN LETTER to Marty who has decided to openly make personal attacks against me. How long are you going to drag this out? Ive tried to be affable with you. As far as customer relations is concerned, I tried to deal with your concern; I even sent you two complimentary Private Study books.

I suggest you just lay off me. I didn't call you any names but your various postings have made me think up a few. Speaking for myself, if I never heard from you again I'd be a happy guy.

Dowdy
www.thinklikeaconjurer.com

Postby Guest » November 23rd, 2002, 5:04 pm

So MartinJ,
do you currently do any of the Private Studies?
If so, how are they working out for you?
What kind of reactions do you get?
Do you notice a difference from Ron Bauer's Private Studies compared to other tricks?

SO DOES any one here do the Ron Bauer's Private Studies?
PLEASE LET ME KNOW. it would be greatly appreciated.

Chuck

P.S. Richard Kaufman, who are you? I have heard the name but don't know too much about you, what do you do?
Do you do any of the Ron Bauer Private Studies?

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » November 30th, 2002, 12:14 am

Originally posted by Chuck Stroud:
Ron Bauer
Chuck, I may have met Ron once in NYC. If he is the person who i recall, you could do worse than to try one of his treatments of an effect. There are many folks who have put forth a view and performing vocabulary. You would also do well to learn some art history for your vocabulary and acting techinque to round out your skills as a performer. Magic is a meta craft that provides a meta experience to its audience. If you have the background to understand this last sentence you have the tools to evaluate whatever material comes your way. Let us know what you find useful.
:)
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Postby Guest » November 30th, 2002, 12:42 pm

Chuck,
Sorry I did not respond sooner; however,I saw a posting from a certain persona non-grata,had spent enough time on the topic, and certainly did not care to see his writing; hence, I avoided the Forum totally, until an e mail informed that there was an additional posting by Jon Townsend. I had to open that; anything Jon wrties is golden reading. Then I saw your entry and still managed to avoid reading those from cetain other non-persons.
My thoughts about the studies: (1) they are beautifully reprinted (2) each one seems to be an act in itself, almost like personal instruction (3) for me they are a bit wordy and I would like to see performance video accompaniment as with Camarind Academy (4) the Gadabout Coins uses a sleight that read very unconvincingly, but, it was one of the items that I was successful in pulling up on the web-site's video of moves and it convinced me. I don't do the routine simply because I have too many other two in the hand one in the pocket, but who knows, I may. The second routine I tried, Fair and Sloppy (I think that is the name) uses the Convincing Control and I had problems with the description on that; when I sought help that certain non-person chose to give me hell rather than admitthat the writing was unclear, or absolutley in error, and that ended that. I'm here for fun and good fellowship, not to take s---
from a guy with no class- Horswoggled, which I had purchaed just prior to that reads very well. Bauer explains (for each trick) what he believes the flaws were in the original and how he has tried to correct them.
It seems to me that if one were to be able to read through and learn each or all of these, he would never have to learn another trick for a close-up act; hell, there is enough material for 3 acts of 6 effects each; though as always sooner or later happens, cards begain to over-intrude
Marty Kaplan

Postby Guest » November 30th, 2002, 1:22 pm

Hi Martin -

Its unfortunate to hear you had a negative experience with the customer service from the Private Studies. I've had a much more positive experience when I've had a question or two. In fact, I've received great customer service. I had one of the old booklets and they sent me a new one for FREE! I don't know of any other dealer that provides that level of committment to its customers.

The booklets are some of the highest quality printing I've seen in a long time...compared to other softbound / lecture note style handouts.

I like the Private Studies because each effect stands on its own and is "an act in itself".
I've visited the website a number of times to view the moves in Gadabout Coins and The Cursed Ring.

The In The Well Vanish from Gadabout Coins may seem like it is unconvincing, however, I found that the audience follows the first two moves and when the see you do the In The Well Vanish, it looks similar to the previous moves that they completely ignore it.

You wrote:
" I don't do the routine simply because I have too many other two in the hand one in the pocket, but who knows, I may"

I encourage you to give it a shot and watch for the reaction from your audience. If you tried any other Two-in-the-Hand, One in the Pocket effect, you'll find it pales in comparison.

Why? Simply because of the plot, storyline and presentation. 3 coins that jump to a pocket falls flat in front of an audience. I've tried to make it work in a Sponge Ball routine and the audience always follows the last coin or ball to pocket.

Regarding the Convincing Control, what area was confusing? I usually need to read any written material several times to fully understand the moves. (Try reading a trick section in M.U.M and I'm sure you'll find it confusing due to the lack of detailed illustrations)

I hope you have fun with the series. I know I've enjoyed learning how to think differently. I've gotten a lot more out of these books than a large number of conventional show and tell magic books.
(I'm not an actor or a writer, so it sure helps to have someone who can write and provide a framework to develop my magic character)

More importantly, my audiences are providing better reactions and are having more fun.

Good Luck!

Alex

Postby Guest » November 30th, 2002, 2:32 pm

A very nice response Alex,and appreciated--and encouraging ,but, I don't think I have the courage to ever again reach out for personal advice from that source. Perhaps after my initial and early diatribe,they became a little less inifantiile and more maturely responsive to what is, after all their, buying public.

but--I loved your note and again THANKS.
Marty J K.

Return to “Kaufman & Company”