Love the book now. Hated it then.

Discuss your favorite books, authors, and tricks from Kaufman and Company.
Ed Oschmann

Love the book now. Hated it then.

Postby Ed Oschmann » July 25th, 2001, 2:41 pm

Reading John Carney's book Carneycopia gives me great pleasure everytime that I pick it up. I have learned more about the art of magic from this book than many others. I smile when I say this because I HATED this book when I first purchaced it years ago. Too wordy, not many pictures, difficult etc.
I now enjoy this book for the very same reasons!
What books have you all read with a similar experience? Hated it then-love it now. ;)

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Love the book now. Hated it then.

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 27th, 2001, 11:52 am

It is one of the most highly regarded books to have been published in the last 20 years, and with good reason. It was purposefully designed to NOT look like one of my books, so not too many drawings. Minch and Carney wanted to make the reader work to get the material. This is exactly the opposite of my approach to teaching magic, and if the book has a weak point, it's that it desperately needs about 100 more illustrations. :)
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » July 27th, 2001, 8:56 pm

Kaplan's Fine Art of Magic reads much, much better for me than it did when i first read it.

Postby Guest » August 4th, 2001, 2:32 pm

Is Kaplan's book still available?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 4th, 2001, 5:56 pm

Kaplan's Fine Art of Magic was published by Paul Fleming and sold very poorly. Copies of the first (and only) printing are still around ... I'm sure that Andy (John) Greget in Phoenix (or Scottsdale?) Arizona has a copy he could sell you.
I know that Kaplan was trying to sell the rights several years ago ... he called me about it. Unfortunately he wanted a ridiculous amount of money. Perhaps he made a deal with someone else?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “Kaufman & Company”