New Magic of Japan Rumor

Discuss your favorite books, authors, and tricks from Kaufman and Company.
Bill Withers

New Magic of Japan Rumor

Postby Bill Withers » March 16th, 2007, 11:40 am

I have heard from various people, that New Magic of Japan is going to be reprinted. Is this true? Also, are there any more chances of Japanese Magic books to come out?

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Re: New Magic of Japan Rumor

Postby Leonard Hevia » March 22nd, 2007, 5:49 am

Barry Taylor of Barry's Magic Shop has a number of dusty unsold copies of this text. Give him a call:

301/933-0373

Postby Guest » March 22nd, 2007, 10:11 am

Last time I called they said they had no more left.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 22nd, 2007, 12:13 pm

Yes, both Five Times Five Japan and New Magic of Japan will be reprinted in the next two or three months. In addition, I may publish a new book of Japanese material to coincide with the reprints.

Barry's Magic sold the three remaining copies of New Magic of Japan that it had.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » March 22nd, 2007, 12:27 pm

It seems to me that there is a lesson here to be learned. The videos of tricks from these two books, recently posted to You Tube, set off an apparent frenzy of interest. "Free" marketing (the videos) and the principles of supply and demand (lots of people wanted the hard-to-find books) caused a huge jump in the value of the books. Just a few months prior to all of this I had purchased "Five by Five" for 20 bucks at a now forgotten magic shop.

So why not do this for all of the magic books that are published? It is perfect marketing strategy (nearly free) and apparently very effective.

Tim Brown

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » March 22nd, 2007, 12:40 pm

So why not do this for all of the magic books that are published? It is perfect marketing strategy (nearly free) and apparently very effective.
Because the moment it starts being done for all magic books, it ceases to be unique, and that drastically reduces it's effectiveness.

-Jim

Postby Guest » March 23rd, 2007, 1:01 am

I didn't see the same effect with the Ernest Earick book, but then again I already had that one...

Postby Guest » March 23rd, 2007, 11:55 pm

The reason I think the Earick book didn't cause that much of a stir was because the book contained a collection of "moves/sleights" after all. Many of the sleights/moves taught in the book can be duplicated with other easier sleights in a cardman's eyes. This said, it is obvious that not a lot of people cared for the "new" ways to accomplish the same things (ie: 101 ways of Triumph etc), but rather for something entirely new.

Five Times Five Japan and New Magic of Japan fit the bill perfectly. This also teaches us that magicians nowadays are more interested in new "plots" as opposed to numerous ways of accomplishing an apparantly similar card control.

By the way, Mr. Kaufman, can you tell us more about the new book!? I am VERY interested!

Best,
Charles Hsu

Postby Guest » March 24th, 2007, 1:25 am

I have to agree at least for myself that I am not that interested in reworkings of old plots. I wouldn't change my triumph routine for anything else that I have seen, but some of the work in the Earick book was new. Jack syn-aces and some others were new plots to me at least. The required skill may have been greater though.

Return to “Kaufman & Company”