Braue Notebooks

Discuss your favorite books, authors, and tricks from Kaufman and Company.
Pete Biro

Braue Notebooks

Postby Pete Biro » December 7th, 2001, 6:29 pm

What's the latest on the Braue Notebooks? Anyone hear anything about Busby other than him blocking sale on ebay of used Paul Fox items?
Stay tooned.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Braue Notebooks

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 7th, 2001, 8:24 pm

Jeff Busby has had some severe legal problems lately, including being charged with assault and battery and involvement in a lawsuit against the landlord who owns his building. All has been settled now. I believe Busby was suing his landlord for over $800,000 and received about $80,000. Or something like that.
Perhaps Bob Farmer will give us a clearer view of the result?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Steve Hook

Postby Steve Hook » December 7th, 2001, 9:20 pm

Pete:

Are you able to elaborate on the Ebay angle?

Sounds outrageous and oddly fascinating ala the old "stopping at a train wreck" syndrome. :(

Steve H

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » December 7th, 2001, 9:59 pm

I had seen a Paul Fox rising card on ebay get up near $100 and it suddenly "vanished" from the site.

Since I had two, I decided to sell one, putting on ebasy with "Buy it Now $50.00" and almost right away someone bought it.

The next day the buyer and I got emails FROM ebay saying they had been asked to REMOVE th item (too late it had been sold) and the buyer got the same mail AND found out Busby had done a "character search" on the buyer.

Busby has convinced ebay that he 'OWNS' the name Paul Fox and they will not let anyone else use it.

I argued (have not had time to follow up on a appeal form they sent me) that if I bought a Chevrolet, drove it for a year and decided to sell it, I could say it is a Chevrolet. The factory cannot stop me from calling it what it is.

ebay seems to be thinking I may be right.

In the meantime I have been trying to contact Danny Dew's widow, Melba, who is still alive.

I didn't reach here, but did get a response for her lawyer explaining that the mention of the name Busby to her could "damage her health" she does NOT WANT TO BE INVOLVED.

However, it seems that Danny Dew's lawyer said he would sue Busby to get the Paul Fox patterns back, since they were not fully paid for. Danny was in ill health and decided not to persue the matter.

Danny trusted people and never did have a written agreement with Busby. But it appears that the rights payments were never completed.

And it appears that the Paul Fox patterns may have been damaged or lost in the roof leak that Busby was suing over vs. his landlord.

Apparently, due to testimony from Bob Farmer and others Busby got, to quote them, "Peanuts."

I wish this could be settled once and for all.
Stay tooned.

Return to “Kaufman & Company”