What is a forum alert?

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.
Bill Duncan

What is a forum alert?

Postby Bill Duncan » August 24th, 2005, 7:37 pm

The first thread I've seen on Genii in a long time that was actually worth reading all the way through is locked:

http://geniimagazine.com/forum/cgi-bin/ ... p=1#000027

I understand that it got a bit emotional but given that it's discussing something that's actually important (as opposed to how cool Criss Angel is...) Im kind of sad to see it ended.

But more puzzling to me is Dustins cryptic note that it had the most forum alerts.

What exactly is a forum alert and how does one come about? My sense is that readers are emailing Dustin to tattle on the misbehaving kids in the back of the class

Richard? Dustin?

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Re: What is a forum alert?

Postby Dustin Stinett » August 24th, 2005, 7:58 pm

Bill,

That's pretty much one way of putting it. But it's a way to help us police the site. If you look on the far right side of the message icons, you will see a blowing whistle. Click on that and an alert is sent to the moderators. Then it's our discretion what we do about it.

I usually get one or two alerts about a thread that's going overboard. That thread got several more than that.

Dustin

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » August 24th, 2005, 8:26 pm

Add what specifically were the reasons for the alerts? While I felt it was a heated exchange, I thought it was civil and was just beginning to address interesting topics. (And I happily apologized if I misconstrued David's intent, though I think my reading of it was reasonable.)

If we opened up a thread on symbolism in magic and what we 'say' when we do what we do, would that be closed?

I'm not trying to be defensive at all. I will confess that I was surprised anyone had a problem with the thread, with perhaps the exception of those with whom disagreements were had. I was surprised by Dustin's comment and am curious why that particular thread garned the "alerts that it did."

I, too, am sorry to see a potentially productive thread close.

Sincerely interested.

Brad Henderson

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » August 24th, 2005, 9:18 pm

Brad,

You know how Richard hates to see politics and religion on this site?

I hate explaining myself. However...

First, alerts are private and will remain so. You will have to trust that not all were from those involved in the thread. (Though, while I took them into consideration when making my decision, those alerts were less compelling to me: You don't like a thread, don't read it.)

As for the thread itself, while it started off well enough (I even posted as you might recall), it degraded into an analysis of why David Groves' original post was read the way it was.

Who cares?

After David posted a clarification of sorts, instead of just saying, "David, you should have made that clear in your original post," and continuing on with the actual subject, people went on hammering away on why David's first post was unclear in an attempt (in my opinion, and others as well) only to make David appear foolish.

My crystal ball, hazy as it is at times, saw a pissing match forming, not a continuation of an interesting thread. And I saw what I believe was flaming simply for the sport of it, and that's BS.

So, to answer your other question: No, I would not lock a thread that sticks to such a subject. It saddens me that you even need to ask such a question.

Dustin

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » August 24th, 2005, 9:48 pm

I participate in a couple of other moderated forums. This one is moderated rationally and lightly. The rules are clear and reasonable. When something gets out of hand, it is simply ended.

One forum in particular that I'm thinking about is also run by a magazine. The owner gives about five people moderating authority, and they each use their own differing opinions of what is appropriate. They don't allow any discussions that may be offensive to advertisers in the magazine that sponsors the forum. They don't allow anything that might be construed as advertising, such as mentioning an ebay auction, for fear of giving free competition to paid advertisers. They don't even allow links to current ebay items of interest to the membership.
No mention of other magazines, or other forums in the same hobby. No negative comments about other members of the forum, or specific companies who manufacture the products involved in that particular hobby.

As such there is very little discussion with any real meat in it - but there is a whole lot of "Congratulations on making it to 1000 posts!"

We are quite lucky that Richard Kaufman pays for a sandbox for us to play in, and gives us such a free rein while we're in it.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » August 24th, 2005, 11:09 pm

Dustin,

I did not mean to imply that you would lock a symbolism thread from closed-mindedness, aversion to the topic, etc. What I was asking (unclearly, apparently) was would it be ok to take that topic now and start a thread on it, as Mr. Duncan and others seem interested. I can see how doing so could be seen as an attempt to circumnavigate your actions. That was what I was getting at. Just asking permission, instead of forgiveness.

But thanks for clearing that up. Not my intent to argue or sway, just wanted to know what led specifically to that decision.

Postby Guest » August 25th, 2005, 1:36 am

Originally posted by DustinStinett:
As for the thread itself, while it started off well enough ..... it degraded into an analysis of why David Groves' original post was read the way it was.

.....people went on hammering away on why David's first post was unclear in an attempt ..... to make David appear foolish.

My crystal ball, hazy as it is at times, saw a pissing match forming, not a continuation of an interesting thread. And I saw what I believe was flaming simply for the sport of it.....
Exactly. I think that your crystal ball was crystal clear.

And that's why we need moderators. That you for moderating it, Dustin.

Dave

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » August 25th, 2005, 8:54 pm

Thanks Dave; I appreciate that.

No worries Brad. I would enjoy a thread on that subject, so by all means start one!

Dustin

Return to “General”