Strange question on Elmsley books

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.

Strange question on Elmsley books

Postby Guest » May 19th, 2007, 2:11 pm

Hi,
i'm very ignorant in the editorial and publishing world.
But since i'm very curious, it is sometimes that a question pops in my mind.
I'm wondering how the Volume 2 of the "Collected Works of Alex Elmsley" is out of print, while the first volume is not.
Does this mean that Volume 2 sold out in a bigger manner in respect of the first volume?
Or does it mean that the second volume print was lower than the first?
Or maybe there's another explanation?
Hoping for an answer,
best regards
Crim

Re: Strange question on Elmsley books

Postby Guest » May 19th, 2007, 3:40 pm

When I bought my set, I had the choice to buy one, two or both at the same time, and in my case I got a discount for buying the set. If people see the table of contents for the books and don't have enough money to buy both, they'll go for the one they are more interested in. In my case again, I've read more book two because of the faro section. Maybe that's what some people have done as well, read the table of contents and go for two because of some specific interest. Hope this helps.

luigimar

Postby Guest » May 19th, 2007, 3:53 pm

Thank you for your answer.
If there are any other suggestions,
they're welcome.

Postby Guest » May 19th, 2007, 5:07 pm

Both volumes are now out of print, in that neither the publisher, L & L, nor their distributor, Murphy's, has copies. But volume 2 does seem to be harder to find and demand higher prices than volume 1. In the past year we have had and sold 4 copies of volume 1, but only two copies of volume 2, with much higher prices for the latter. Possibly volume 1, which was first published in 1991, got reprinted when volume 2 came out in 1994, resulting in more available copies? Or, if an equal number of both copies were printed, possibly, as noted above, the material in volume 2 is of greater interest.

Postby Guest » May 20th, 2007, 3:44 am

Thank you very much Mr.Hatch.
Your answer was relly detailed and appreciated.
Mattia

Return to “General”