Starting coin routine?

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.

Starting coin routine?

Postby Guest » June 13th, 2003, 9:27 am

I'm basically a (poor) card guy, who keeps being fascinated by coin work. I've picked up Bobo's and I have a copy of Richard's Coin Magic. Bobo's is overwhelming in it's completeness, and CM is, well really hard as a beginner. It's difficult for me to apply myself to the sleights without some sort of context, so I'm hoping people might have a suggestion or two of routines to focus on early on that would teach some fundamentals while giving me a routine goal.

I'm also willing to believe I'm simply going about this all wrong, and so if folks have some suggestions on a better way to apply myself I'm willing to hear them out as well.

Thanks,

-Tim

Re: Starting coin routine?

Postby Guest » June 13th, 2003, 10:08 am

Tim,

I have a website dedicated to coin magic, www.coinvanish.com.

Head to the foundations section, if you have Bobo's you will be able to answer the entry question.

In the foundations section I give you what stuff you want to concentrate on early in Bobo's. Also an essay on classic palming.

In the reviews section of my website check out the review of the David Roth versus Michael Ammar versus David Stone videos, those videos are the most common introductory coin videos out.

The direct link to that is www.coinvanish.com/compare.html

Good luck with coins.

Dan

Postby Guest » June 13th, 2003, 10:12 am

Fantastic. Thanks for the help Dan.

-Tim

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » June 13th, 2003, 10:22 am

As a card guy with a bit of an interest in coin work, I've been looking for just such a link.

Thanks Dan!

Postby Guest » June 13th, 2003, 10:29 am

As a quick followup Dan, on the fundamentals page it mentions that a variety of routines would be available after mastery of the listed sleights. Any specific ones you could point to? I've found that a lot of the time having a point of reference to look at helps with the learning of the sleights themselves, at least for me.

-Tim

Postby Guest » June 13th, 2003, 11:59 am

Tim,

You can do plots such as coins across, coins through the table, one coin flurry, etc. very easily utilizing the basics of coin magic.

Coin magic is an extremely visual type of magic, it takes a lot of practice to make it look good.

If you really are unfamiliar with coin magic I would highly recommend investing in one of the introductory videos in my link above. Not only will it allow you to see the sleights done properly, but also give you basic routines with which to apply them.

Postby Guest » June 13th, 2003, 12:18 pm

Thanks again Dan, I think I'll be looking into the videos as well. It definately seems like the learning curve on coin work is a lot steeper than that of card work. Not that there aren't knucklebusting card sleights, there just happen to be more accessible ones that you can use to great effect early on.

-Tim

Postby Guest » June 13th, 2003, 12:38 pm

Timothy and Chris,

If you both have a basic beginning in coin magic...thumb, finger, classic palm...plus a decent coin vanish...you can cheat at Bobo's! At the back of that book there is a chapter with routines...a few halves, a copper coin or 2 and perhaps a hankerchief or glass is all you need to do a few really well put together routines!

Mike...who got through high school because of his ability to cheat!

Postby Guest » June 13th, 2003, 12:55 pm

you can cheat at Bobo's!
I never thought I'd say a book was _too_ complete, but boy is Bobo's overwhelming. I have to admit that I've scanned the later routines, but I'm not the best at turning text in my head to what a routine will look like. Got any specifics on which to start with?

-Tim

Postby Guest » June 13th, 2003, 1:06 pm

Originally posted by Timothy Alexander:
you can cheat at Bobo's!
I never thought I'd say a book was _too_ complete, but boy is Bobo's overwhelming. I have to admit that I've scanned the later routines, but I'm not the best at turning text in my head to what a routine will look like. Got any specifics on which to start with?

-Tim
Well, if you like gimmicks, try the section on them - the dime & penny (a poor man's Scotch & Soda), stack of quarters (which can be very simply done or range into the ohmyghod ranges) is good as well.

Some of the Ross Bertram material is good (Rubdown from the Ross Bertram book being a favorite of mine), Passing the Half Bucks, coins across all are good and range from relatively easy to intermediate levels.

If you want to work at something, the section on sleeving is good. Try Slydini's Automatic Sleeving Method for one. It's a bit of a knack to get, but it KILLS.

Expansion of Texture (coin thru silk) is not difficult and has a lot of other uses and is a GREAT place to start on material that fools non-magicians as well.

Kind regards,

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com

Postby Guest » June 13th, 2003, 1:12 pm

I continue to be amazed at what a resource these forums are. I've been a lurker for a while and I've found not only countless insights into actual effects, but a multitude of history, ethics, and personalities. I can't express enough how lucky I feel to be able to have a place to dialog with, and listen to the literal giants of the art.

A very spoiled,

-Tim

Postby Guest » June 14th, 2003, 6:47 am

I continue to be amazed at what a resource these forums are. I've been a lurker for a while and I've found not only countless insights into actual effects, but a multitude of history, ethics, and personalities. I can't express enough how lucky I feel to be able to have a place to dialog with, and listen to the literal giants of the art.

A very spoiled,

-Tim
D'you know, as a mere hobbyist conjuror, I've always felt about The Genii Forum exactly what you've said. I'm in awe of so many people here. It's a privilege to be able to listen to these discussions, and also to comment.

Dave

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » June 14th, 2003, 3:35 pm

There are some good routines that don't require getting tooled up and learning all the material in Bobo's. The audience reactions may motivate you to learn the material in Bobo's.

May I suggest a copper and silver transposition performed with at least one coin in a volenteer's hand? The other routine I would recommend would be the original matrix. As this also uses some cards it might serve as an interlude in your card work.

Both of these can be done with a borrowed coin or borrowed coins as well. Nothing like starting simple to get a solid foundation in place.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Postby Guest » June 14th, 2003, 6:43 pm

Got any specifics on which to start with?

-Tim
Hi Tim,

Another web resource for coin magic is the Coin Purse. Among many other items, Opie Houston provided a "Bobo Study Guide" you might find helpful...

--> Bobo Study Guide at the Coin Purse <--

Postby Guest » June 16th, 2003, 2:29 pm

Here is a poser for those of you in the know about the Bobo book.

I once taxed Bobo with the fact that among the coin vanishes he had not explained my favorite. He said it was a favorite of his, too. So it is the book but not in the sections on sleights. It is explained while discussing a particular routine.

He wanted it the book for completeness; but he did not want it up where it was in fact merely revealed to anyone just checking sleights.

Ray Banks

Postby Ray Banks » June 17th, 2003, 6:58 am

Bobo's is overwhelming in it's completeness, and CM is, well really hard as a beginner.
Here is a link to a Bobo study guide posted by Opie Houston of Austin, TX.

http://www.zyworld.com/coinpurse/articles90.htm

Opie has formulated a structured guide to Bobo. It won't take you through the book chapter to chapter, and it won't take you through the whole book. It will take you to the parts you need to get a good foundation in coin magic.
Pick a card....Any card....NO not THAT card..THIS one!

Ray Banks

Return to “General”