Hello and a Question

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.

Hello and a Question

Postby Guest » January 4th, 2005, 1:07 pm

First off I just wanted to say hello. I am very new to the art of magic, although I did know a few card tricks previously.

I would like to get into it more now that I have some decent free time.

My big question is I see various DVD's for card tricks or training on slights etc. I almost purchased this yesterday but thought I should ask around to see which on is the best.

This is the one I was interested in. Complete Card Magic with Gerry Griffin - The Definitive Set (Volumes 1-7) (7 DVDs). Does anyone have any opinions, or know if there is a better set of DVD's out there.

Thanks,

~James

Re: Hello and a Question

Postby Guest » January 4th, 2005, 10:54 pm

Just my opinion, James. Buy books first. You will find your own style. With videos you will find yourself just copying what you see rather than putting in the practice to "learn". Once learned Videos are a great way to see how others perform the same effect, which you can build on. Again, just my thoughts.

Postby Guest » January 31st, 2005, 11:16 am

Well my friend if you are a starter I would suggest going the starter way. Try for a Michael Ammars easy to master ... miracle series.

It's easy to do, pack nice and well explained.
Enjoy yourself and enjoy performing theses tricks and don`t mind about copying style.

After being confortables with theses, try to get into more serious stuff like techniques and books where you can truly learn the roots of the arts and pick up your own style.

But I strongly suggest you to no start with heavy stuff likes techniques or advances trick.

Don`t worry almost all of us started by buying tricks like the invisble deck or similar props from the magic shop.

Postby Guest » January 31st, 2005, 11:50 am

If you're new to card magic and are serious about learning what's what, I'd strongly recommend the Card College books. If you're determined you have to have videos, Daryl's Encyclopedia Of card Sleights series.

Return to “General”