Good beginners Magic book

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.

Good beginners Magic book

Postby Guest » December 18th, 2003, 3:12 pm

The Art Of Magic And Sleight Of Hand by Nicholas Einhorn. Here is a brief description

. Reveals the secrets of over 120 magic tricks and how to perform them.

. A wide variety of tricks are covered including Card Magic , Dinner Table Magic , Match Magic , String Rope and Cord Magic , Mind Magic , Silk Thimble and Paper Magic and Money Magic.

. Includes an illustrated history of magic and magicians, from the origins of the art in Egypt, through the nineteenth and twentieth centuries to the magic of today, featuring magicians such as siegfried and roy david copperfield and David Blaine.

.Over 1,000 colour photographs showing both the audiences and performers perspectives.

Well worth the money and is well worth a place in any magicians library.

Dave Shepherd

Re: Good beginners Magic book

Postby Dave Shepherd » December 18th, 2003, 3:34 pm

My wife picked this up this past summer, thinking it would be a good gift for a nephew later on.

I glanced at the cover and didn't think much about it. Later on I looked at it again more carefully.

It really is an excellent introductory text. Very colorful, clear photographs and to-the-point text instructions. It is a good overview of a lot of different kinds of magic.

I am very impressed with this book. It think my wife bought it at a Border's or Barnes & Noble or some such store.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » December 18th, 2003, 4:31 pm

I also noticed this at our local "Borders" bookstore and was really surprised by the quality of it. I might pick it up for my niece who seems to have an interest in magic.

Postby Guest » December 18th, 2003, 5:03 pm

Interestingly enough, Barnes & Noble has reprints of Garcia's "Magic with Cards," for about $6 a copy hardback.

I bought about 25 copies, and had cards printed up with my company's logo, and have sent them out as holiday gifts to clients. In the last several days, several clients have thanked me, and already told me stories about doing an effect from the book for their families.

Postby Guest » December 19th, 2003, 3:54 pm

For readers age 12 and up, I recommend Secrets of Alkazar, aka A Book of Magic for Young Magicians by Allan Kronzek.

The book has good tricks, excellent suggestions for patter and presentations, and many ideas for alternate presentations to make the reader think and create on his own.

This book has much to offer readers at all levels of magic. The section on 15 Ways to Have a Card Selected ought to be required reading for all magicians, for example. Experienced magicians will know all of its tricks already, of course. But the thoughts on misdirection, presentation, creating one's own unique presentations, and naturalness of movement are basics that we all need to re-visit from time to time.

Jon

Postby Guest » January 6th, 2004, 12:38 pm

I have a book by Nicolas Einhorn, also found in Borders, except it's entitled The Practical Encyclopedia to Magic. Seems to cover all that was mentioned in the original post, so maybe the name was changed when it was published in the UK or something. Only cost five pounds too.

magicbar

Postby magicbar » January 6th, 2004, 5:13 pm

whatever the book.. just make it suit your reading level. so many offer the same 101 tricks but the detail differs. I am happy we are talking books rather than vids or dvds.

Postby Guest » January 22nd, 2004, 11:12 am

Hi Jason, It is the same book but with different titles

Postby Guest » March 3rd, 2004, 5:15 pm

I would have to say one of the best books for beginning in magic is Mark Wilsons Complete Course in Magic. That my friend is definately bang for the buck

Jon Elion

Postby Jon Elion » March 4th, 2004, 4:53 am

Our local Borders Bookstore had a stack of the Einhorn book for $6 each in their bargain bin (I think the list price is $35!). I bought several to have "on reserve", and have already given a copy to a colleague's 12-year-old-daughter (she is delighted with it). Great photos, good background on the history of magic, a fun read. And some very excellent magic within its pages.

I normally recommend Mark Wilson for youngsters and beginners (and for more experienced folks too), but the Einhorn book now takes an honored place next along side of it. And for the price.... !!

Postby Guest » March 4th, 2004, 4:36 pm

The Idiots Guide to Magic (Tom Ogden) is an excellent book for starting off. If the interest continues from there, invest in Tarbell Vol. 1, and move from there slowly, learning each lesson before moving on. by the time Vol. 8 is done, you have a complete magician well versed in the art.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
AB Stagecraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Supplying unique magic and mentalism world-wide

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » March 4th, 2004, 10:24 pm

Harry Lorayne's The Magic Book is a terrific guide to non-prop and sleight-of-hand magic. George Anderson's out-of-print Magic Digest is a superb grounding in all types of magic with great help on routining and performance.

CHRIS

Postby CHRIS » March 4th, 2004, 11:28 pm

Originally posted by Paul Alberstat:
If the interest continues from there, invest in Tarbell Vol. 1, and move from there slowly, learning each lesson before moving on. by the time Vol. 8 is done, you have a complete magician well versed in the art.
Alternatively you could get the electronic version of the complete original Tarbell Course for the price of essentially one or two book volumes.
http://www.lybrary.com/books/Tarbell_Co ... l_pdf.html

I also suggest you read my FAQ 4.1 which addresses your question head on.
http://www.lybrary.com/faq.php

Chris Wasshuber
preserving magic one book at a time.

Postby Guest » April 26th, 2004, 12:18 am

I saw Einhorn's book in the library recently and took a few good notes from it. I'm hoping to create his gimmick for 'card to matchbox' and 'appearing matches' and perhaps do some matchbox routines. Seemed like a pretty solid book, especially for the beginner.

Mike

Return to “General”