Any Genii Forumers Met Magician David Copperfield?

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.

Any Genii Forumers Met Magician David Copperfield?

Postby Guest » April 21st, 2006, 10:32 am

Re: Any Genii Forumers Met Magician David Copperfield?

Postby Guest » April 21st, 2006, 12:11 pm

Sounds like you answered some of your own questions.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 21st, 2006, 12:38 pm

Am I missing something here?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » April 21st, 2006, 2:37 pm

Copperfield sat on my lap at a show in Baltimore once.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 21st, 2006, 3:39 pm

I'm missing something here too... sorry but your message is rather poorly written and doesn't make any points. :confused:
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » April 21st, 2006, 4:03 pm

How did you get in college? I really thought you were about 12 years old from your writing.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 21st, 2006, 4:28 pm

Just had chat with Kenner and DC is still suffering from loss of his father and now his mother is doing poorly... stress it taking a bit of a toll.
Stay tooned.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » April 21st, 2006, 5:43 pm

One time at magic camp David came to visit us and even tho he was bummed because he got bad ratings on the last special he did that year and alot of magi were talking bad about it and him but he still came to see us and it was really neet and I got to talk to him alot but I didnt ask about how his illusions worked even tho I wanted to but I didnt but he did admit to me that he was heterosexual and I said really? even tho your a dancer? and he laughed.

Okay, Im sorry, I should not have done that; its just been one of those days. Crystalwizzard, some of us can be very brutal to folks who do not write the way we would like. Your style is very difficult to get through. You really need to consider your reader more when writing. It appears that you just blazed through, spilling all your thoughts without really forming them in some cohesive manner.

To answer the questions I could gather: First, the staging for each piece David performs, where he walks, who and how he interacts with them, is not something that is as casual as it appears from the audience standpoint. Everything is planned out to the most exacting detail and has its various purposes, so dont feel snubbed because you were treated differently from other volunteers. And yes, David is a bit shy, at least thats what Ive gathered from the few times I met him.

Dustin

PS: The above story is semi-true. It was years ago at the Magic Castle. He was in an unhappy mood because of some negative commentary on one of his shows, but a mutual friend lightened him up considerably with the joke about his sexuality and him being a dancer.

Postby Guest » April 21st, 2006, 6:03 pm

Copperfield really did sit on my lap at a show in Baltimore sometime in the mid-1980's.

I could probably have been more diplomatic in my criticism of your literary style, but Dustin is right -- you need to consider your reader. A good thing to do is run your post through a spell checker in a word processor before you post, but you also need to learn some basic English grammar. Since you're in college, I highly recommend that you take some English classes.

I'm not saying this to be mean. Honestly, if you ever expect to get a job that pays better than minimum wage, competent written and spoken English will help a lot.

Postby Guest » April 21st, 2006, 6:57 pm

Even though I find GF members to be the most critical (read, perhaps, discerning not really a bad thing) of internet magic forum folks, oddly enough, they are also generally very willing to assume that a post is not a goof (not a bad thing either). I wonder if Crystalmeths, er, Crystalwizzards post is sincere. Clay

Postby Guest » April 21st, 2006, 9:43 pm

Clay, back when I had a small publishing company I usually hired high school students as part time employees. What you see above is about the level of writing I got from most kids, even the bright ones.

Writing doesn't seem to be stressed in school any more and what you see above seems to be the general result: a lack of syntax, no understanding of what a paragraph is and how to string intelligible sentences together to form one, no concept of punctuation, etc.

Oddly enough, I've seen Harvard-educated PhDs write on about the same level.

Postby Guest » April 22nd, 2006, 4:54 pm

No argument with you on those points, David. My "wonderment" was a reflection of both style (which you addressed) and substance of the original post. CHS

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 22nd, 2006, 8:33 pm

Since she went back and deleted her letter and retitled it that we're all [censored], I guess that the second poster was indeed correct: she answered her own questions!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » April 22nd, 2006, 8:43 pm

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
Since she went back and deleted her letter and retitled it that we're all [censored], I guess that the second poster was indeed correct: she answered her own questions!
I remember reading the original letter, which she stated the scenario played out over a year ago. I cannot still believe she had all that angst still pent up after so long.

...And just to be Crystal clear, I loathe being an [censored]... BUGGER ALL!!

Postby Guest » April 22nd, 2006, 9:16 pm

Hey....I know some of the people here and nearly all of them aren't [censored]!

:D

Rick Ruhl

Postby Rick Ruhl » April 24th, 2006, 12:51 pm

Kids, can't love em, can't kill 'em' ;)

Postby Guest » April 24th, 2006, 1:07 pm

What was the original question? I found Copperfield to be a good guy...last time I saw him he was smoochin' some Asian gal that was rather cute.
Steve V

Return to “General”